• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just did my first oil change...

For those DIY'ers out there, don't be afraid to try, it's not all that hard - 7 oil plugs to drain, and the filter is a bit tricky to remove without spilling, but otherwise not too different from the typical car. There is a Youtube video of a dealer mechanic doing an oil change service, and I found a write up with step by step instructions to follow as well. 10 quarts Mobil One Euro Spec 0W-40 oil was $60 on Amazon, filter $10, filter wrench, drain plug washers, and a form a funnel cost me another me $35, so total about $110. Next change will be $75 in supplies only, no tools to buy. Took about 3 hours using Race Ramps in my garage, a little tedious (lift would of course be easier) but this project helped keep me sane during Corona Virus lockdown....

It had to be a tight squeeze getting under the car enough to take the rear panel off. I remember watching the tech do so while the car was on a lift. It is a balancing act to keep from allowing the panel to distort. Once off then you got to move around a bit to get to those 7 plugs. I understand the first one is required to be opened, but the rest can be done in any sequence. Did you drive the car and heat the oil up before changing? I thought about it, as I like to see how things are put together, but since I lack the ability to lift the car other than by floor jacks I left it to the dealership. I also have found that going to the dealership during the warranty period builds a relationship. There have been times I have asked for good will fixes on other cars and it was because the dealer stepped up that made a difference. I bet you were really careful in taking out the filter. It would be a mess to drip oil in the trunk. That probably took you some time?

It had to be a tight squeeze getting under the car enough to take the rear panel off. I remember watching the tech do so while the car was on a lift. It is a balancing act to keep from allowing the panel to distort. Once off then you got to move around a bit to get to those 7 plugs. I understand the first one is required to be opened, but the rest can be done in any sequence. Did you drive the car and heat the oil up before changing? I thought about it, as I like to see how things are put together, but since I lack the ability to lift the car other than by floor jacks I left it to the dealership. I also have found that going to the dealership during the warranty period builds a relationship. There have been times I have asked for good will fixes on other cars and it was because the dealer stepped up that made a difference. I bet you were really careful in taking out the filter. It would be a mess to drip oil in the trunk. That probably took you some time?

^^ This.

Yes, I warmed engine before draining, and yes clearance under ramps is definitely restrictive. On the other hand, pulling the oil filter was actually much easier than I expected. The Form a Funnel (medium size) was the perfect length, and did a great job of catching the small amount of oil that dripped. You pull the carpets out of the trunk before hand and place rags under that, so risk is minimal.

I'm not anti-dealer, I just still enjoy doing small car projects now and then, and with Covid-19 I have time to spare these days. Plus, by doing this, I have a greater appreciation for how our cars are built/engineered, and the complexities of mid engine designed cars. Other reasons to consider doing yourself: 1) If your car is lowered (as mine is), I'm not sure if dealer could get their lift under it, 2) I find dropping cars at dealer a hassle 3) saving $300 isn't a bad thing and 4) knowing for sure that all 7 drain plugs were fully drained, the filter really was replaced, and good quality oil was used is valuable peace of mind.

Back