• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Just Purchased an 03' Porsche 911 Carrera !!

...I'm still keeping my 91' NSX (which i love) but I love the new car** Porsche had a styling update done to the body of the 911's in 02' with an updated and enlargened engine (320HP with a big bump in torque to boot) :) The newer 911's are packed with so much technology all around you it truly takes a day or two of reading the manuals and learning the car.

Pro's compared to NSX: Significantly more torque than the NSX, and has a better top end pull to boot (more power out of the box basically). FAR superior braking system, its the first time I felt blood rushing to my head at an 80% powered stop in the Porsche. (Note I have the optional bigger wheels + tires in my package/track package*) FAR superior state of the art Bose stereo system (another $3300 option which mine has) More "solid" feel all around.

Con's compared to NSX: NSX's gearbox feels tighter with shorter throws, NSX has lower center of gravity/ seating position, NSX is quicker revving, and has an easier clutch. (Not that the porsche's was all too difficult)

Everything else was either too comparable to take note of or too subjective to make a comment on. (i.e., styling, heritage, impact, my own overall feel, etc.)

All in all, its the most $$$ I've ever spent on a car ($60K, it stickered almost $90K brand new, it only has 20K miles on it :) ) ...and if I had to do it all over again i would :) For those of you owners thinking of making the change, I can be the first to Vouch for the new 911's...it's everything you could ask for and then some.

Last edited:
Congrats. I too was looking at a 996... until i saw the 997. That car looks great inside and out. Nonetheless, I enjoyed driving it. It sounded nice. Noticeably more power and TQ than a 93 NSX.

I thought of that too, but the 02'-on-up (styling upgraded) 996's look VERY similar to the new 997's...it would take a triple-take to tell my car apart from a 997 carrera (especially being its a darker color) and the engines are the same...no major changes like going from a 993-to-996. Hence it should be a good investment for another model life cycle, around 6 years + :)

NSXTASY_MD said:
I thought of that too, but the 02'-on-up (styling upgraded) 996's look VERY similar to the new 997's...it would take a triple-take to tell my car apart from a 997 carrera (especially being its a darker color) and the engines are the same...no major changes like going from a 993-to-996. Hence it should be a good investment for another life cycle 6 years+ :)

I was looking at a 997 S, 85K (for fun.. cant afford that!), but the performance is FAR better than the 996. 1/4 miles is like 114mph trap speed. I was really impressed with the interior design.

I was blown away by the performance of the 911 GT3 (996). On the track it was an animal. Much faster than my 93. I think my 95 is faster, but not by much. I will never run it on a track to find out.

So are you still planning to FI your NSX?

NetViper said:
I was looking at a 997 S, 85K (for fun.. cant afford that!), but the performance is FAR better than the 996. 1/4 miles is like 114mph trap speed. I was really impressed with the interior design.

So are you still planning to FI your NSX?
I was comparing the 996 carrera with the 997 carrera...not the "S" model (which has a nice displacement and power boost with styling upgrades to go with it) The 996 is *VERY* similar is appearance and performance (being its the same motor with the 996 being a little lighter too) to the 997 carrera* Which isn't scheduled to change for another 6 years*

...YES, I still plan to go F/I.....on the PORSCHE! :biggrin: A very well respected Porsche tuner ("TPC") happens to be 10 mins from my work which has an intercooled supercharger package for the 996's...with the 02'-up 3.6 L motors that package it said to make nearly 400RWHP and have the car blow the doors off a GT3 or standard 996 TT models. It's $9,700 installed.

NSXTASY_MD said:
...YES, I still plan to go F/I.....on the PORSCHE! :biggrin: A very well respected Porsche tuner ("TPC") happens to be 10 mins from my work which has an intercooled supercharger package for the 996's...with the 02'-up 3.6 L motors that package it said to make nearly 400RWHP and have the car blow the doors off a GT3 or standard 996 TT models. It's $9,700 installed.

Now that sounds sweet! Does the 03 still have the rear main seal problem?

NSXTASY_MD said:
Porsche had a styling update done to the body of the 911's in 02'
They did? You could have fooled me! :D

(And yes, I know the difference between a 993 and a 996; in fact, I've driven both of them. They all look pretty much the same to me. And to just about everyone else, too, except the most avid Porschefile.)

Congratulations, and enjoy the new addition to your stable...

You should of made a trip to Ohio and tried out a Noble M400 first. I bet you would not own a P car if you did, unless you got the Carrera GT. :biggrin: :biggrin:

ahem... *cough* air cooled *cough* :rolleyes:

congrads man that's a great car. :redface:

Air cooled? The 996s are all water cooled. The older 993s are air cooled. In fact, from what I heard the air cooled Porsches are more sought after by the "Porschefiles".

Jeff

NSXTASY_MD said:
I was comparing the 996 carrera with the 997 carrera...not the "S" model (which has a nice displacement and power boost with styling upgrades to go with it) The 996 is *VERY* similar is appearance and performance (being its the same motor with the 996 being a little lighter too) to the 997 carrera* Which isn't scheduled to change for another 6 years*

My man... Nice setup for this car. You will love it.

Racerxjling said:
Air cooled? The 996s are all water cooled. The older 993s are air cooled. In fact, from what I heard the air cooled Porsches are more sought after by the "Porschefiles".

Jeff
993s tend to be the Fav of the newer car.
The 997s are selling fast. It was more about the look than the engine.
The curves were redefined on the 997. I would take any of them.

nsxtasy said:
They did? You could have fooled me! :D

(And yes, I know the difference between a 993 and a 996; in fact, I've driven both of them. They all look pretty much the same to me. And to just about everyone else, too, except the most avid Porschefile.)

Congratulations, and enjoy the new addition to your stable...

The 993 and 996 difference in look can be told a mile away... :wink:
Now the fact that they both can be taken for the same series/brand is true.
But they don't really share any body resemblance other than shape.

gtr said:
Any pics on your new ride :smile:
Not yet, the first thing I wanted to do is take it to Porsche while its still on the factory warranty and have them go true it in detail...make sure everythings a check and do an oil change & service. As soon as I get the car back I will snap some pics and post them here :)

RP-Motorsports said:
Some day I will get a 98 911 turbo. I just love that look.
I already made the 1st step towards it: took the front brakes of the 993 turbo and built it in the NSX :biggrin:
(rear brakes are from the 996 GT 3 which was already praised here in this thread)
I have to admit that the (non ceramic version) brakes are one of the best things on a P-car.

I own both also, the NSX is much more fun to drive to me. I also looked at the tpc supercharger and it is $9700+ $2k for the install. $12k by the time you are out the door. Plus I didn't trust it with the RMS problems with the 996's. It would be a fun car with the tpc installed though. Good luck with it. Have the RMS checked at the dealer real soon.

Rob

Back