• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

K&N air filter

I am wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts on using a high perf. air filter on their car. Is there any breathing/horsepower gain in using a K&N or is there a better way to go? I would love to have a little more breathing noise and better throttle response.

Keep the Oem or go with a UNI. Do not use the K&N. Some people have had issues such as my self.

Keep the stock air filter on.

High-performance filters provide better airflow -> more power.

But, they allow more debris and foreign particles to enter, which is bad for the engine. Staying with the OEM stuff is the best way to go.

Keep the stock air filter on.

High-performance filters provide better airflow -> more power.

But, they allow more debris and foreign particles to enter, which is bad for the engine. Staying with the OEM stuff is the best way to go.

if properly cleaned and oiled the k&n works just fine- only when left to dry out completely you will have problems.

Hear is the issue that I had with the K&N. I purchased one new (they come pre-oiled) took it out of the package and placed it in my car (NSX) after driving around for a few days the car started to idle ruff and starting was a problem. When I removed the K&N air filter and replaced it with the OEM the car ran the same. The oil from the filter coated the air box and throttle body with a oily film that was causing the car to run ruff. Now this was a ready to use filter oiled from the factory. I now have a UNI and have used it for the past 15K miles with no oily mess, and no idle or starting issues. I clean it regularly and it has a great sound with the DownForce intake.

I have had a K&N on other cars and never had an issue. However the K&N did not work on MY NSX you can do what you want with yours. Just make sure where ever you buy it from has a good return policy:rolleyes:

K&N filters much better than the uni filter.

the duel density sponge does not work well at all.

its defintily better then open intake.

i would stick with the stock filter for filtration.

unless you get the k&n drop in, the factory cold air induction function of the box will be lost.

Hear is the issue that I had with the K&N. I purchased one new (they come pre-oiled) took it out of the package and placed it in my car (NSX) after driving around for a few days the car started to idle ruff and starting was a problem.

I've used the K&N for years and have never experienced a rough idle.

i made that a little easier.

I'm come to understand that many NSXers on this forum are a bit sensitive compared to the other forums.

watch yourself, sensitive can come off as ... condescending. :wink: try "refined" :smile:

I'm come to understand that many NSXers on this forum are more "refined" when compared to the other forums

what where we talking about again?

I had a K&N cone filter on my car. It added a whoosh sound on acceleration, but no perceivable difference in performance.

they allow more debris and foreign particles to enter, which is bad for the engine. Staying with the OEM stuff is the best way to go.
I've heard the same thing, from the top experts on our cars. They convinced me to switch back to my stock air filter.

OEM box works just fine for me.

Im sure you will hear "use the search function" more than a few times with a question like this that has been already talked to death but i'll save you some time and tell you the end results ....
stay oem unless you want to risk hurting your engine for what amounts to minimal to no gain in hp by using aftermarket filters like k&n and uni. It simply doesnt make much sense unless you want more intake noise at the risk of inadequate filtration.

Back