• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Key doesn't work in driver's door lock

I have a 2000 NSX-T.

The keyless entry works great. One time, I accidentally locked my keys in the car, and the extra remote was out of batteries, so I tried unlocking the door an extra key. Turning it left and right in the driver's door lock did nothing. I tried the key in the passenger door lock, and I was able to unlock the car (both doors).

Is this an easy fix? Not the biggest deal since the keyless works and the passenger door lock works, but I'd like to keep this car perfect.

There is a rod that connects from the back of the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism. The rod transfers the rotary motion of the key to the latch mechanism. Its likely that the rod has popped out of the retainer that holds the rod in place on the back of the lock cylinder. If it is really easy to turn the key left and right in the cylinder, then this is likely the problem. Fairly easy fix, except for the fact that you have to take the door liner off to get at it!

Thanks for the reply, Old Guy. Yes, it's very easy to turn left and right.

If the rod has popped out, is it as easy as popping it back in? Or do they pop out because something broke?

IIRC, there might be a small retaining clip at each end of the rod. But putting that back on is the least of your worries .. getting the door panel off can be a bit of an adventure if you haven't done it before. Fortunately, there's a good write-up in the Wiki
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Bose_RR that someone did when they needed to get the door panel off in order to repair the OEM BOSE door amps/speakers. If you need that repaired .. do them both at the same time.

If the rod has popped out, is it as easy as popping it back in? Or do they pop out because something broke?

I wasn't working directly on this part and as such did not pay that much attention to it, so I may be imagining things rather than accurately recalling things. That said, my vague recollection is that there is some kind of plastic like retainer / bushing on the rotating arm on the back of the lock cylinder. The rod from the latch mechanism has a short 90 degree bend on its end which pushes into this retainer. The rod may have just popped out of the retainer or the retainer may have cracked or failed in some other way allowing the rod to drop out.

Last edited:
I responded to someone else on this years ago...I have a 93 and I sometimes have the same problem and like you, I found that unlocking and locking the passenger door resolves the issue...I think the door locking process somehow gets confused and doing the above gets it thinking right again because I then have no further problem for long periods of time...I have no keyless system and so always use my key lol...

Back