• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Keyless question

I have a '91 Japanese import that has the OEM keyless brain, however the fob did not come with the car and I have no idea if the brain actually works or not. Is there a way by which I can scan/reproduce the fob code and have a replacement fob made in the event that it does work?

The code is mechanically written into the fob by breaking a number of electrical connections in a ribbon cable to create a sequence of 0s and 1s. Its much like the garage door openers from the 80s where you flipped a row of DIP switches in the remote and the master so that they had the same sequence of on and off postitions, except in this case the break in the ribbon cable is not quite so reversible. The fobs can be ' re coded' with a new code if you have some good soldering skills Of course, you have to find some OEM fobs to be candidates for this re coding. As I recall, physical examination of the master will reveal the code that is in the master (don't hold me to that since its been about 4 years since someone last asked me about it).

There are a number of threads on Prime about recoding the master and the fobs. Some of them are flat out wrong. In one thread I remember the individual who had posted had opened up the fob and showed the punch holes (there were pictures) in the ribbon cable (that formed the code) and had gone through the process of modifying the cable to recode the fob to match the master. I cannot remember whether he recoded by matching the hole pattern on an existing remote or whether he obtained the code from inspection of the master.

Your best be is to start up the search engine and plumb the historical records on Prime to find that thread. This all presumes that you can find some OEM fobs to serve as donors for recoding.

If new OEM fobs are still available from Acura, I believe that they can use the serial number on the master to code the fobs and provide you with new correct fobs. I expect that will not be cheap.

Last edited:
Back