• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kit?

Hi,
Anyone have thoughts on this kithttp://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+care+kits/6%22+orbital+bag+kit.do

I'm pretty much starting from scratch and want to get the proper tools to take care of the NSX.

Thanks,

Looks like a quality kit and pretty expensive. Most people use the Porter cable 7424, or 7336 which is essentially the same model, just a slight variance in counterweight which is better.

But I had success with the porter cable using LC pads, menzerna super intensive polish, 106FF and full moleculer jacket. Not a menzerna fanboy I just have tons of it laying around. The best part of the PC is that it is oscillating so you really couldn't burn your paint.

If you don't have experience with the buffer supplied in that griots' kit, practice on a dailer driver first. I can show you some before and after pictures on one of my panels using the PC. Not the best pictures, but took them for reference.

It looks like a reasonable kit, provided you're ok with the Griot's random orbital. I've read good things about it, but own a Porter Cable myself. I don't have any experience with the Griot's product line, so can't offer any comments on how well they work.

You might want to take a look at other packages available on the www.autogeek.net website. There are a bunch of Porter Cable/Pinnacle wax packages and Porter Cable/Wolfgang products packages for less than the package you listed. The Pinnacle products are good, I've used the XMT swirl removers on the NSX. I'm also using Wolfgang Fuzion on the NSX.

autogeek always runs specials, either free shipping, 15% off, etc. Also try their alternate sites, www.pinnaclewax.com or www.wolfgangcarcare.com which sometime offer better prices on shipping.

I spend way too much time on autogeek and do a lot of reading in the car care section of the Corvette forum where the autogeek crew hangs out.

One other site to check is www.detailedimage.com. I think they've occasionally checked in here on Prime and they also answer questions in the Vette forum.

I have used Griots products for years and have both the 6" and 3" orbitals and almost all their car care products(waxes,polishes,etc). I used to use Megiars Professional Line products until I found and researched the Griots products. They are all water-based so "NO" silicones ever touch the paint. Their products are used by a great number of owners that compete at the Pebble Beach Concours and a large contingent at the Ferrari and Porsche meets. There is a museum/car collection of Bugattis in England that only use Griots. The Lemay Car Museum in Tacoma Washington als uses Griots exclusively. The kit that you are looking at is a great way to introduce yourself to Griots. If you have questions just PM me.
Have FUN in your garage!!!!!!!!!!!

Back