• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Knocking noise at low speed only when accelerating or maintaining speed

Over the past couple days, a knocking noise behind me (could be driver's or passenger side) has developed. It gets faster as I accelerate but tends to disappear at higher speeds. At lower speeds in 1st and 2nd its very noticeable but stops completely if I let off the accelerator or push in the clutch. At first I was thinking wheel bearing or CV joint, but that doesn't tend to fit if it stops when not accelerating or maintaining speed.

Also to note, a couple weeks ago my clutch pedal got "sticky" toward the bottom of the push. It would go to about 90% depressed, and you could feel it catch a bit but you could push through it to the floor. When releasing the clutch, it was the same, it would catch just after you started to release, then the last 90% of pedal release was normal. I was going to take it in to have it checked the following monday, but over the weekend it completely went away from one drive to the next in the same day. Just simply went back to normal.

Any ideas?

I have had good luck diagnosing this sort of thing by putting the car up in the air on a lift or jack stands and having someone "drive" the car with someone listening underneath. You can simulate a load (acceleration) by applying the parking brake for a short time. You should be able to locate the sound that way. Obviously, make sure the front wheels are well blocked and the car well supported. Look for grease coming from the CV joint boots, which is a dead give-a-way for a CV joint failure.

Good luck,
Gary

Driving habits matter more than miles on the clutch. 100 kmi + has been achieved by many owners; others are lucky to get 25 kmi. On the pedal action, first check the clutch fluid level, and possibly flush the system. I had a "screech" problem as the clutch engaged, but the action was smooth. The problem was the release bearing. Discs were less than 1/2 worn after 50 k mi.

My WAG is the knocking noise is not related to the clutch but more likely is something else. As captngaryr suggests, check the CV joints. It could also be a failed knock sensor; I have no idea if that failure would necessarily be detected by OBDII (or if your car is OBDII).

anyone thought of bad Hub bearing?

I have this same thing on mine I actually going to be doing this tomorrow morning

this is a wacky one from personal experience.....I had a low speed metallic clunk/snap crackle pop from the rear of the car upon slow speed accel...couldn't hear it at speed,car shifted fine ect..turns out the tech who had last replaced my clutch did not tighten to spec the rear beam....so after one track day at the glen it loosened up enough to clank........:rolleyes:

I had a similar noise that I only experienced when accelerating. Turned out that one of my inner CV joints had slowly leaked most of its grease (as most do eventually) due to nearby exhaust heat, causing a worn joint with too much play in it.

Same exact thing happened to me. Check for leaking grease.

did you guys ever find out the problem. mine as well, recently when i accelerate I can hear the knocking noise from the rear, what can it be? any info would helps,thanks

Back