• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

LCD monitors

I have this monitor thats maybe two years old and it shuts down after being on for a bit. Its a 20" NEC lcd Monitor and I thought these things last a while. I just wanted to ask to see what your opinions and suggestions are for this problem. Can it be repaired or should I just go shopping for a new one ??

Im assuming you mean computer monitor? If so is it just the monitor or does your whole computer shut down? :confused:

If I were you, I would just NEC and tell them you need to have it replaced under warranty.

What’s the warranty on that monitor anyway? If NEC is like other LCD brands, they probably have a 3-year warranty. I’m not sure if they will fix yours or just send you a replacement (a refurbished unit usually). If it’s out of warranty, they should be able to give you an idea of the cost to have it repaired.

NSXrunner said:
Im assuming you mean computer monitor? If so is it just the monitor or does your whole computer shut down? :confused:

Only the monitor

Ojas said:
If I were you, I would just NEC and tell them you need to have it replaced under warranty.

What’s the warranty on that monitor anyway? If NEC is like other LCD brands, they probably have a 3-year warranty. I’m not sure if they will fix yours or just send you a replacement (a refurbished unit usually). If it’s out of warranty, they should be able to give you an idea of the cost to have it repaired.

I purchased this off a friend and it did not come with a warranty I had already contacted NEC and the nearest service center is two states over. thanks for all the replys so far .

My telepathic computer solving technique isn't quite perfected yet, so before you jump to the conclusion it's the monitor, here's a few simple things you can check to isolate the exact problem:

1) as newbie as it sounds, have you checked Windows power management on the monitor (start, control panel, power options)

2) Pull all the cables out and plug them in again. (again, sounds newbie but every 1/100000th problem the cables are the problem)

3) Go into the BIOS screen and let it sit there. does the monitor still turn off? (if it does, it's not Windows or another software issue)

4) At the time the monitor goes off, does it feel unusually hot in any places?

5) Have you tried the monitor on another computer? It could be your video card that's at fault.

If it occurs even on another computer, you've isolated that indeed it's the monitor.

Some other questions:
Have you timed exactly how long before it goes off?
Does it repeat this time exactly or is it totally random?
Does the time before going offline seem to be quickening?
Does using a cooling fan blowing on the back of the monitor effect the time before shutting it down?
Do you believe Elvis is still alive?

If anything, if you decide to get it repaired, showing the technician all the tests you've done will show you're not a newbie and he can't rip you off. :D

Is it caked full of dust?

Try the above solutions and then see how easy it is to remove the back cover and blow it out with one of those cans of air.

NSX-Stalker

NSX-Stalker said:
Try the above solutions and then see how easy it is to remove the back cover and blow it out with one of those cans of air.

glad i checked this thread again. i'd have to strongly advise AGAINST doing this because:
1) it will void any warrenty you have.
2) dust may not be the problem; unsettling the dust can cause the LCD's power supply to blow out.
3) Unless you're a computing guy or electrican, opening up complex electronic equipment can be dangerous.

of course this is a general warning... most people ignore it. :rolleyes:

He already stated he has no warranty.

If everything else fails most likely it's dust. You can send it to NEC and they will most likely clean it as well in the same manner.

Dust can be a problem in LCDs. I have a Sony KLW-9000 50" widescreen LCD monitor I've used as a TV for 5 years now. It periodically builds up dust on the mirror and has to be blown out. It is a well known problem with this unit (as well as others). So far I've done it 3 times and it has never had an issue. I blow it out according to instructions given by Sony using an attachment on a scuba tank.

I've also blown out many computers in the same manner, along with others I know and have never seen a power supply fail due to moving dust.

And I agree, if you're not comfortable doing it don't. Send it to NEC.

NSX-Stalker

NeoNSX said:
My telepathic computer solving technique isn't quite perfected yet, so before you jump to the conclusion it's the monitor, here's a few simple things you can check to isolate the exact problem:

1) as newbie as it sounds, have you checked Windows power management on the monitor (start, control panel, power options)

2) Pull all the cables out and plug them in again. (again, sounds newbie but every 1/100000th problem the cables are the problem)

3) Go into the BIOS screen and let it sit there. does the monitor still turn off? (if it does, it's not Windows or another software issue)

4) At the time the monitor goes off, does it feel unusually hot in any places?

5) Have you tried the monitor on another computer? It could be your video card that's at fault.

If it occurs even on another computer, you've isolated that indeed it's the monitor.

Some other questions:
Have you timed exactly how long before it goes off?
Does it repeat this time exactly or is it totally random?
Does the time before going offline seem to be quickening?
Does using a cooling fan blowing on the back of the monitor effect the time before shutting it down?
Do you believe Elvis is still alive?

If anything, if you decide to get it repaired, showing the technician all the tests you've done will show you're not a newbie and he can't rip you off. :D

NSX-Stalker said:
He already stated he has no warranty.

If everything else fails most likely it's dust. You can send it to NEC and they will most likely clean it as well in the same manner.

Dust can be a problem in LCDs. I have a Sony KLW-9000 50" widescreen LCD monitor I've used as a TV for 5 years now. It periodically builds up dust on the mirror and has to be blown out. It is a well known problem with this unit (as well as others). So far I've done it 3 times and it has never had an issue. I blow it out according to instructions given by Sony using an attachment on a scuba tank.

I've also blown out many computers in the same manner, along with others I know and have never seen a power supply fail due to moving dust.

And I agree, if you're not comfortable doing it don't. Send it to NEC.

NSX-Stalker

Let me answer the questions real quick. I did the computer swap with the monitor to isolate the problem before I started this thread. This is what I did at the time of the failure of the screen I left the comp as is and swaped out another monitor I had for the LCD and all was fine because I suspected maybe a bad video card as well as maybe something else but the conclusion was no it was not comp related. Yes I am an electrician and have cleaned out my comp before and like stalker said since I dont have a warranty there would be no harm in trying to clean out the screen first to see if this resolves the problem. I will try all the above suggestions that I have not tried yet thou and let you know what happens. Nec has a flat rate of $200 for repairs which covers the shipping as well but that does not cover the panel itself if that part is defective. They are using this company Hong Video Technologies for the rapairs just in case anyone is interested.

www.hvtnet.com

My mistake... i forgot you had nothing to lose with the warrenty. my excuse was exhaustion. :D

<B>NSX-Stalker</B> : You're fortunate you've never seen a power supply blow. I've seen my fair share blow on computers specifically because of dust removal. Classic story was a few years ago i spent $1000 on a new mainboard, CPU and RAM... thought i'd dust out my case while i was installing them. Powered up... about 3-4 mins later I heard a strange crackling sound before a POOOF! the entire system turned off and i could smell something electrical. :(

Needless to say my "it professional" disappeared as i felt like crapping myself. At first i thought it was the new $$$ components... then once i realized it was the power supply, i had a couple of sickening hours buying a new one where i had to wonder if the mainboard had been damaged. Fortunately everything was okay.

I didn't learn my lesson - another time i blew dust out of a client's home computer. Bang... the power supply blew up. that small job "blew up" in my face literally. :rolleyes: I'm not the only one - it's a common problem with PC's.

Needless to say, i dont recommend dusting power supplies or monitors unless you're aware of the dangers and are cool with opening up hardware.

so if it makes you feel any better, we're both right. :D

Back