• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Learjet - lease or purchase?

Anyone have any experience in this area?

wow going from a 370 Z to a lear:eek:

I would not be too impressed as I am just considering some options.
Here is the deal. I have some waterfront property for sale in WA. Despite the fact, that it is in an area of WA that has less rainfall then L.A.
In addition, it is considered one of the top ten places to retire or relocate by both CNN on the Money and the WSJ I have not consumated a sale in the current real estate economy.

http://sequimwaterfront.tumblr.com/

I have had some discussions with a fellow who has a 1979 Learjet for sale.
I was looking at the jet on a website called goswap.org (I think as it has been some time since my initial contact). I would post the link, but my anti-virus program will not even allow me to access the website now. Initial post
(from memory) indicated a gent who had a fleet of jets looking to downsize and would consider trade options.

My initial thought was to explore trading to see if the jet could be flipped.
I realize that leasing may be preferred to sales. In addition, a 30+ year old plane may have a limited audience for such an idea. Fuel efficiency, state of the art navigational equipment and maintenance seem like areas of concern to me at first blush. Just trying to size up the limited potential of such a decision. I realize if the marketplace for this jet was great the seller would likely not be considering a trade. However, I wanted to think it all the way through and thought the input of some of the great minds here would be a plus.

This is certainly a different kind of post for our site. Perhaps it will be our art of the deal kind of thread.

OK, I am open to any input.

One more thing, I also have been chatting with a gent with a Ford GT
and have been considering the same idea with a Ferrari owner.
All just options to consider.

I thought of him as well. He is an active poster like me and I thought he might join the discussion on his own.

that lot of yours has been on sale for a while now ,how many price reductions have you had? As far as a trade imho boats and planes depreciate alot,certain top shelf cars may hold price or appreciate depending on the market.

I personally would ask for the interested buyers to sell either the plane or the cars and buy the property and not entertain trades. Cash is king and you can use it however you like and not worry about depreciation of the personal property you obtain in the trade or any hidden issues/liabilities that you may not find about until you actually own the item.

Just my opinion.

Even without knowing the details, I would say no way and hell you are going to flip a biz jet right now. The market is beyond horrendous for used jets. And jets require scheduled maintenance, which is like nothing you have seen before. For example, my boss is sitting on two 1981 Falcon 20s, one of which is coming up for the landing gear service check - $250k.

I'll PM you a contact, if the deal is good enough and the plane isn't a dog they may buy it. That's the only way I would do this deal is to have a buyer before the deal it's done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

For example, my boss is sitting on two 1981 Falcon 20s, one of which is coming up for the landing gear service check - $250k.

And I thought the Volk center caps were expensive.

Hello. New here but I do have some friends and experience in the aviation world. Please take in consideration hanger or storage fees and also the fact that an airplane should not just sit. It should be flown on a regular basis and maintenance as stated above is not cheap. Land will always be worth something and should appreciate ( although not as much lately). Good luck with the sale and whatever choice you make.

I'll PM you a contact, if the deal is good enough and the plane isn't a dog they may buy it. That's the only way I would do this deal is to have a buyer before the deal it's done.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

This is just the approach I was considering.

wow going from a 370 Z to a lear:eek:

Considering a Z for a daily driver. My Honda Accord is rapidly approaching
the 180K point where I intend on selling it. The Z would be a less economical daily use car.

that lot of yours has been on sale for a while now ,how many price reductions have you had?.

I did one MAJOR price reduction reducing the price by $60K. That is quite a substantial reduction on a percentage basis. Frankly, pricing has not been the issue. It is really a matter of finding a buyer who is a fit. We had 9 calls in the last few months and four showings. The last two showings went like this:

1) Buyer wanted beach front not waterfront as he wanted to have his own pier.
2) Buyer was concerned young child might fall off of bluff where property is located.

I believe the marketplace is improving based upon activity. However,
I am the kind of individual that likes to examine all possibilities to help myself.

Just have to laugh.... G6 doesn't exist. They stopped naming them via roman numerals after the GV and when they bought Israeli Aircraft and had to integrate their models.

The newest and greatest is a G650.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/10/08/news/companies/Gulfstream_fly_G6.fortune/index.htm

I get the last laugh...

2006-Pontiac-G61.jpg

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4s6H4ku6ZY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4s6H4ku6ZY?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

this thread is def above my pay grade I bow down to the 1%

:biggrin:

not sure what type of weed you smoke, where you think the "1%" can afford a lear jet. The 1%-ers only make $345k/yr before taxes. The only real difference with that and $60k/yr is the house is a bit nicer, and the car is a bit nicer. +/- a couple nice vacations

perhaps your meant the 0.001 percenters?

Last edited:
Our plane burns 500 gallons of jetA per hr @ $8.50/ gal. That's JUST fuel. Our landing fee last weekend in MIA was $850 plus $200 a day parking. Budget $200-300k a year for mx, plus $150-200k a year for the crew. And then $2mil to $50 mil for the actual jet. Only 1/10% ers can afford a jet. That or the shareholders are covering the tab for those weekend "meetings" on the golf course in W Palm. :rolleyes:

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back