• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leather Seat Decisions - LeatherSeats vs Ridies vs Repair

Since it's been a while since this topic has come up, I though I'd ask the question. Those of you who have gone with LeatherSeats.com or Ridies.com leather seats in the last ten years, I'm curious if you're happy with the quality of the material? I'm also curious how close either product is to the look of the original leather (I have a 95, so non-perforated leather). I know quality of the install plays a role, but assuming a good installation job was done I would love to hear some feedback.

My seats are in decent shape overall, except for a large seam split in the lower side bolster of my passenger seat. I've been to several upholstery shops, and everyone says they would need to reupholster the side bolster, which won't match the rest of the seats and would drive me nuts.

Leaning towards going with the LeatherSeats kit & redoing both seats. I want to keep the car as original as possible, but even the best leather will give up the ghost eventually.

IMG_0093(2).jpg
attachment.php

I got Ridies with Napa Leather professionally installed. The professional install makes all the difference. The smooth leather makes the car look much more modern. Personally I don't like the gathered leather look...too 90s for my taste. I got the door panels done as well to match. That I did on my own. In hindsight for the door panels I probably should've just went with standard leather because the armrest is standard leather. It would've been cheaper and probably matched better.

IMG_20190408_172027.jpg

IMG_20200920_170612.jpg

The challenge to keeping the OEM look is the "gathered" stitching used in the seat bottoms, back and door cards. I've installed so many of these covers from a few different suppliers. They are very nice, quite beautiful but NOT correct if that's what you want. There are folks that can achieve the original look and perfectly I might add but since you don't show where on earth you are located I can't help direct you to a shop to get this done. These would be hand, custom made and more expensive but correct. Looking at your photo, if this is the only problem I would get it repaired. Better hurry, the guys that can do this are dying fast.

I got Ridies with Napa Leather professionally installed. The professional install makes all the difference. The smooth leather makes the car look much more modern. Personally I don't like the gathered leather look...too 90s for my taste. I got the door panels done as well to match. That I did on my own. In hindsight for the door panels I probably should've just went with standard leather because the armrest is standard leather. It would've been cheaper and probably matched better.

IMG_20190408_172027.jpg

IMG_20200920_170612.jpg

Matching the gathered look and correct grain is definitely the challenge. I live in the Sacramento, CA area so if you...or any other members...have a line on a good upholstery shop in Northern California I’d love to hear about them.
[MENTION=34822]I_M_Legend[/MENTION] Your seats are quoted by many as a reference for clean looking new seats. How have they aged? Still happy with the material and quality of the stitching? Did your kit come with the material for the arm rests/cards?

Absent an installer that can match the gathered look I’m not opposed to the cleaner, smooth leather look. Leatherseats offers kits that include matching arm rests, and material for the door cards.

@I_M_Legend Your seats are quoted by many as a reference for clean looking new seats. How have they aged? Still happy with the material and quality of the stitching? Did your kit come with the material for the arm rests/cards?

Absent an installer that can match the gathered look I’m not opposed to the cleaner, smooth leather look. Leatherseats offers kits that include matching arm rests, and material for the door cards.

They've held up well. I've had them installed for a little over two years now but obviously the last year hasn't seen much use. The first year I probably put 10k miles on them as this car is my daily driver. There is some wrinkling on the driver's seat but I'm told that's normal. When I come back to the car on a hot day, the leather tightens back up and the seat looks new again. Passenger seat looks brand new still as no one usually sits there. Here's a pic I just snapped to show the wrinkles. Keep in mind, I'm not a big guy.

I ordered the material to cover the door panels. The leather for the armrest is stock.

IMG_20210530_143233.jpg

They've held up well. I've had them installed for a little over two years now but obviously the last year hasn't seen much use. The first year I probably put 10k miles on them as this car is my daily driver. There is some wrinkling on the driver's seat but I'm told that's normal. When I come back to the car on a hot day, the leather tightens back up and the seat looks new again. Passenger seat looks brand new still as no one usually sits there. Here's a pic I just snapped to show the wrinkles. Keep in mind, I'm not a big guy.

I ordered the material to cover the door panels. The leather for the armrest is stock.

IMG_20210530_143233.jpg

Still looks new. I’m curious if anybody has compared Ridies or LeatherSeats to a full custom install.

FYI, if you can find a good passenger seat skin you can remove the leather below the bellows. It is the same on both sides of the seat. Have it sewn in and you are good to go. A good shop should be able to match the pitch and thread...I've had it done and it came out great.

If I could do it again I'd go with leatherseats.com instead of ridies. A pro install with ridies is okay but I've still yet to see one that looks as good as most of the leatherseats.com results.

The trick to keeping them looking great is Leatherique every year or two, mine were starting to show some slight wear after 2 or 3 years so I let the product work for a few days and they look new again. Like [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] said, OEM automotive leather typically has a nearly impermeable urethane coating on it that looks and feels a lot like plastic but it lasts a long time with zero care, aftermarket leather is typically much softer and looks/feels better but won't last as well with no maintenance.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. A lot to consider. I'm gonna keep connecting with local upholstery shops and see what they can do.
[MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION], curious what you noticed about the leatherseats.com material that makes you prefer it over ridies?

Speaking of leatherseats.com, has anybody seen the difference in person between their standard and ecstasy leather? I'm not a leather expert....that title I'll leave to the cows....but the ecstasy leather is billed as having a semi-analine finish, which some research indicates having a light surface coating to extent durability. I wonder if this is the clear urethane that [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] speaks about.

I can vouch for the quality of the ridies. Black leather with red stitching, and they look great. I would recommend a good installer, that makes all the difference. My buddy and I both live in the bay area and used the same guy in San Jose to install the ridies, and we are very happy with the results. If you want to take a little road trip down here from Sac, we would be happy to show you ours. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.

I'd love to cruise over [MENTION=31645]Lude_2_NSX[/MENTION] but trips over to the bay are hard for me to do right now. Any chance you guys can post some pictures?

I want to bump this thread as my seats are in need of a refresh. I am looking for a professional installer so that will be handled with the utmost care. I was originally going to go with leatherseats.com but i recently saw ridies and figured this must have been a comparison on nsxprime. So here I am.

leatherseats is about $800 more in the configuration i want, is it worth it over ridies?

Ridies looks like a great deal. Id see if they offer installation and maybe do a special trip to see them. Installation makes all the difference and i do not trust most shops anymore. Few are about quality.

I can vouch for the quality of the ridies. Black leather with red stitching, and they look great. I would recommend a good installer, that makes all the difference. My buddy and I both live in the bay area and used the same guy in San Jose to install the ridies, and we are very happy with the results. If you want to take a little road trip down here from Sac, we would be happy to show you ours. Feel free to PM me if you are interested.
Sorry I think my account is too new to start a DM, but I just got a 1991 Berlina Black NSX last month and I am also in San Jose so would love to hear what installer you used.

I used leather seats and the upholstery shop I used said leatherseats is easier to work with and better quality than ridies.

Attachments

• 24998145-3CF9-4904-8B27-D1B518FBB53A.jpeg
    24998145-3CF9-4904-8B27-D1B518FBB53A.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 39
Back