• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lexus LF-A Official pics

Most of you guys have got to be kidding. This is the baddest engineering acheivement since the NSX, and most people hear sound as if they are driving Civics hurling mud at the NSX.

Let me repeat:
9000 RPM.
~120 HP/l.
3200 lbs (NOTE: NA2 NSXT is nearly that heavy, COUPE is only lighter by about 20 lbs)
48/52 distribution.
Body:65% carbon fiber, rest Alluminum.
Engine:50%+ titanium.

....and built like a Lexus, should last 300k miles easy.

Most here are complaining about the "75K for a 290 HP car.." I mean "350K for a 600 HP Toyota - my Supra can go that fast"

:tongue:

I can't disagree. This car may represent an incredible achievement and I have no doubt it will be very special.

Honestly, I have no problem with it as long as it's a limited production. Obviously Toyota thinks they can sell 500 units at $350K so more power to them.

Regular production, this would be suicide but limited is perfect and appropriate. I've only ever said they shouldn't produce it unless it was under $200K regular production or keep it limited.

Honestly, $350K+ isn't that bad considering its competitors in that price range and the fact it could be the most reliable and technologically innovative supercar ever produced. Lexus is a stong enough brand. Good for them.

This is an amazing car. I've already said it several times this week, but the last time I was this impressed with any car was the NSX, back in 1990.

LFA is in 2010 what the NSX was in 1990.

Granted, the price is a bit steep. Keep in mind that in 1990, $61K was also considered astronomical for a Honda, no matter that it outperformed all of it's contemporaries.

This is an amazing car. I've already said it several times this week, but the last time I was this impressed with any car was the NSX, back in 1990.

LFA is in 2010 what the NSX was in 1990.

Granted, the price is a bit steep. Keep in mind that in 1990, $61K was also considered astronomical for a Honda, no matter that it outperformed all of it's contemporaries.

I punched in the (1990)price of 62k into some dollar value calculators and today the comparable price if the nsx was launched today ranged from 93k up to 150k depending on the method so this car would have been about 150-180k in 1990

Why is the LF-A so expensive?

"You've probably been bewildered by how much attention one car from a previously maligned automaker is getting on this and other enthusiast sites. But the attention we've paid pales in comparison to the attention to technical detail Toyota's displayed in the design and construction of the LFA. The car's gestation has taken nearly a decade not because the program had problems or limited resources, but because Toyota decided to design and build nearly every element of the LFA, its first ever supercar, in-house. Where most companies — Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche included — contract out things like gearboxes and the design and construction of carbon fiber components, Lexus chose to teach itself how to make those things better than anyone else, then build its own tools in order to make them.

Take the carbon fiber, for instance. To make the LFA's, Toyota created one of only two circular looms in the entire world, then used it to simultaneously weave one tube of carbon inside another. They built this system just to make the A-pillars on the car."

Source here: Lexus LF-A First test drive

way to go Toyota!!!

now i wondered if the official video engine/exhaust note is re-mastered, I love way it better than any other spy clips...

What a great marketing effort, I'm starting to like this big celica (as my used car manager put it, who, btw, like his buicks :) ) just because of the exhaust.
Much same way the LP550/560 becomes my all time dream car.

and to anyone bitching about price... i think it's priced right if you compared the lexus quality parts then look around what you can get in that price range. It just, that, you and I and him (pointng to anyone around you) can't afford this toyota, most likely.

I loved how people quickly draw to the conclusion of how much $$ toyota spend on this project and how much they can get 375k*500. Simply Math isn't it... Gives all the prius people something to brag around the world. At least they now know where their $$ goes to... F1, LFA... and they are FAST!!!!

honda people, we get

13046_preview.jpg

F1 "champioship" money went to Mercedes Brawn; no, I'm just refusing to acknowledge the fact that Honda can't make better engine than Mercedes.

Where is that freaking nsx? i know it's not mid engined, but that "thing" sounds amazing too and will probably put this Toyota where it belongs, just like what we used to at any race track: behind a honda.

then this guy have to do this: quote: Asked about a NSX replacement Ito reiterated that the company has no plans to directly replace the supercar but added that if they did "it wouldn’t look like the monster Toyota has just shown at the motor show"

ok guess it's time for me to finish ranting and go trying to sell more insights.

Last edited:
Best looking Toyota ever! The rear has something of an Audi R8 and and a F-car but it looks very sweet and it's a copy of anything else. Despite the interesting design elements it still looks a little bit like a potwhale to me. :tongue:

oye. . .

I loved how people quickly draw to the conclusion of how much $$ toyota spend on this project and how much they can get 375k*500. Simply Math isn't it...
I assume this "rant" was directed at my earlier post, which obviously you took out of context. Not once did I ever say nor allude to [paraphrased] "the LFA is only (an over-priced) Toyota, it's not worth that much..." or "Toyota/Lexus are making / not making this-that much unless they sell this-that amount..." blah-bla-bha. . .

I believe you (and others) have misinterpreted my curiosity of whether or not Toyota/Lexus was going to use the LF-A technology, R&D, and know-how directly towards other emerging vehicles in their portfolio, and in doing so - some of the development/production costs can be offset/subsidized.

{not directed at anyone in particular...} It's extremely myopic to think that a global automotive giant steeped deep in Japanese tradition/philosophy who is (at the moment) losing billions of dollars, making no profit, losing market-share in key areas/segments, closing-down factories/plants, and laying-off thousands of workers has no financial care nor concern in terms of releasing a halo/hallmark offering for just the sake of Prius-owner prestige.

Although, they may have well truly done that w/ such in mind (pride/bragging), I am just wondering what the big-picture was for Toyota/Lexus in creating/marketing this offering & if it'll pave the way for other neat stuff (hand-assembled ~$125k exotic sports-car w/ extensive use of composites, mass-produced ~$50k sports-car w/ prodigious power & partial composite-construction, variants of the V10 in long-wheelbase exec'-spec LS or LX/Landcruiser or even something for their heavy-duty Tundra light-truck line). . .

Anything/everything is worth what it is as long as there are those out there who are willing to acquire it. . .

Case-&-point, the similarly offered ~$1million+ Aston Martin 77 & Lamborghini Reventon... :eek:

Re: oye. . .

I assume this "rant" was directed at my earlier post, which obviously you took out of context. Not once did I ever say nor allude to [paraphrased] "the LFA is only (an over-priced) Toyota, it's not worth that much..." or "Toyota/Lexus are making / not making this-that much unless they sell this-that amount..." blah-bla-bha. . .

I believe you (and others) have misinterpreted my curiosity of whether or not Toyota/Lexus was going to use the LF-A technology, R&D, and know-how directly towards other emerging vehicles in their portfolio, and in doing so - some of the development/production costs can be offset/subsidized.

{not directed at anyone in particular...} It's extremely myopic to think that a global automotive giant steeped deep in Japanese tradition/philosophy who is (at the moment) losing billions of dollars, making no profit, losing market-share in key areas/segments, closing-down factories/plants, and laying-off thousands of workers has no financial care nor concern in terms of releasing a halo/hallmark offering for just the sake of Prius-owner prestige.

Although, they may have well truly done that w/ such in mind (pride/bragging), I am just wondering what the big-picture was for Toyota/Lexus in creating/marketing this offering & if it'll pave the way for other neat stuff (hand-assembled ~$125k exotic sports-car w/ extensive use of composites, mass-produced ~$50k sports-car w/ prodigious power & partial composite-construction, variants of the V10 in long-wheelbase exec'-spec LS or LX/Landcruiser or even something for their heavy-duty Tundra light-truck line). . .

Anything/everything is worth what it is as long as there are those out there who are willing to acquire it. . .

Case-&-point, the similarly offered ~$1million+ Aston Martin 77 & Lamborghini Reventon... :eek:

oh, if you see my other post regarding in the 2nd gen nsx forum, you will see how I take a 180 different view on the similar topic. I'm sure many people here have 2 sides on nsxprime:

1. the enthusiastic sport cars mind, which sometime is just irrational, aka: FUN.

2. Business side.

I doubt anyone spending time here only focusing on #2. If so, they should have spend time looking at their investment and also pinching money instead of spending minutes and hours up here. (which turn around ended up spending more money, yes, spending time crusing nsxprime is hazardous to your wallet, it's a known fact!)

I don't really agree the Aston Martin, Reventon as an example here either, lets make an analogy:

I'm a car salesman and a newly home owner for 2 years (aka HURT'IN, oh well.)
Just because people up here dropped $10k or more on their nsx Sc/turbo/wheels/bodykits, doesn't mean I could go rush out and get that $4k BBK.

Last edited:
WHAT A BADASS CAR!!!

Looks are subjective and I wouldn't doubt some hate it (just like some hated the Enzo/F430 when they came out), but I really like the looks of the car.

9,000rpm V10 that screams like any other high piston-velocity motor (F430, Gallardo, M5, etc...) - badass.

Carbon fiber construction - badass.

Who cares that it's $350K. If it were $150K would you have the funds to buy it anyway?

I really like the car, and I think its great Toyota did what they did. Think about it, the development of the car, the racing they've done pre-production, etc... Most 'supercars' could only dream of having that kind of support and history during their development.

I'm really looking forward to the McLaren MP4 though. $200k Twin Turbo V8, should be good.

But mad props Toyota.

Osiris_x11 said:

Case-&-point, the similarly offered ~$1million+ Aston Martin 77 & Lamborghini Reventon...
I don't really agree the Aston Martin, Reventon as an example here either, lets make an analogy:

I'm a car salesman and a newly home owner for 2 years (aka HURT'IN, oh well.)
Just because people up here dropped $10k or more on their nsx Sc/turbo/wheels/bodykits, doesn't mean I could go rush out and get that $4k BBK.
You missed my point again, I wasn't referring to you/me/us/we. I was mentioning that something/anything is worth what someone/anyone out there is willing to pay for it. And this is personified w/ the Aston Martin 77 & Lamborghini Reventon which were all pre-sold, and now an even more pricey roadster motif of the Reventon is forthcoming. Meaning, there are individuals out there willing to pay $1-million+ U.S.D. for makes/models that others may otherwise deem over-priced hyperbolic exotic-fleecing. . .

I can't make any sense of your analogy, as I never stated nor alluded to what others can afford or not afford! :D

I just stated that there will be automobiles produced & offered to a select few in society, which may be otherwise deemed over-priced & silly expressions of design & engineering, but the buyers are out there to make such exercises by the manufacturers worthwhile. . .

(it's not Lexus's fault that you & I, and perhaps many others, can't afford the LF-A. Are you blaming Lexus in your analogy that because you can't afford it, it shouldn't be made or be discussed/critiqued?)

Last edited:
How they make the carbon fibre A-pillar

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bISSLbNiGB0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bISSLbNiGB0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

"With over 150 years of looming experience, ToMoCo owns a rotary weaver -- one of two in existence -- which it repurposed to create the carbon fiber A-pillars on the LFA."

I'm at the standpoint as if I was one of the toyota share holder. Wondering why in the world Toyota can afford this pet project? While 2 months ago, the president just openly yelled at their executives by making mistakes like GM and they are heading that way...

just so Lamborghini and Aston Martin can do something crazy, doesn't mean Toyota should do it as well. But then maybe this project will cost them less than competing in F1

You missed my point again, I wasn't referring to you/me/us/we. I was mentioning that something/anything is worth what someone/anyone out there is willing to pay for it. And this is personified w/ the Aston Martin 77 & Lamborghini Reventon which were all pre-sold, and now an even more pricey roadster motif of the Reventon is forthcoming. Meaning, there are individuals out there willing to pay $1-million+ U.S.D. for makes/models that others may otherwise deem over-priced hyperbolic exotic-fleecing. . .

I can't make any sense of your analogy, as I never stated nor alluded to what others can afford or not afford! :D

I just stated that there will be automobiles produced & offered to a select few in society, which may be otherwise deemed over-priced & silly expressions of design & engineering, but the buyers are out there to make such exercises by the manufacturers worthwhile. . .

(it's not Lexus's fault that you & I, and perhaps many others, can't afford the LF-A. Are you blaming Lexus in your analogy that because you can't afford it, it shouldn't be made or be discussed/critiqued?)

Last edited:
I am putting this into the universe...

I AM GETTING AN LFA. SOON. VERY SOON. I DONT JUST WANT ONE. I WILL HAVE ONE!

Wow...I just LOVE it. Alrighty, back to work so I can start affording the damn thing! Lol...

wtf bbq sauce w/ cream-soup?!?

Damn. This below looks like something from a 21st century air-force fighter/interceptor...

Demo' of functioning Lexus LF-A driver's instruments/gauges:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/51U1KiNUlTo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/51U1KiNUlTo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Last edited:
The more i look at this car, the more I love it. It really is an interesting design study, everytime I see the car I notice something new on it.

Ugh someone shoot me. I am trying to like the car, but I still don't. :redface: Technology wise, wow! :eek: Looks...meh. :frown: Not worth the $400K pricetag. (according to the latest motor trend anyway)

technological tour de'force...

The more i look at this car, the more I love it. It really is an interesting design study, everytime I see the car I notice something new on it.
2x! Until I saw the recent cover of December 2009's Automobile, I was more-or-less meh about its design/styling. But, that cover-shot truly put into perspective how unique this offering is & perhaps a hint as to its real-life/in-person presence.

Technology wise, wow! :eek: Looks...meh. :frown: Not worth the $400K pricetag. (according to the latest motor trend anyway)
I think many of the car-ragz/magz are gonna be all-about #'s in terms of performance in regards what it costs, much like they were in regards to the NSX over the years. But, there may be some intangible & visceral details that can't be put into words/print of which the LF-A will likely be unparalleled in. Seeing the N'ring vids' w/ the F1'esque sounds & the other Youtube clips w/ the innovative instrument-panel & ultra-quick revving V10, the pics w/ the incomparable interior, this Lexus will definitely be a very special offering.

Likely what the NSX did to the mid/rear engine exotics & sports-cars market segment (ie. Lotus ESPRIT, Ferrari 328/348, Porsche 964/993) in terms of QA/QC, reliability/dependability, assembly/production prowess, fit-&-finish, performance/handling, comfort/refinement, drivability/efficiency, ergonomics/visibility, technology/innovation, etc'... the LF-A will do the same to the front-engine ultra-lux' high-performance sports-cars market segment (ie. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano, Aston Martin DB-S, Mercedes Benz SLR).

Last edited:
Look like everyone is bitching about the price and compare it with the other high end super cars. I will betcha that Lexus LF-A is far more reliable than other super cars like NSX

Go back to the mustang forums hater... when did a NSX cost 350K?? If you knew anything about supercars you would know none are that reliable

Back