• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lighting/ Electrical issues

My fellow gearheads, I need your help please. I have a 93 and I started having electrical issues.

First, I noticed left turn signal would intermittenly work. I applied slight pressure to the lever and got it to blink like normal on the dash and outside signals. I could even let go at times and it stayed on, other times I had to hold the lever.

Second, I went to rotate headlight switch to the on position, heard some sort of pop in the switch and noticed headlights no longer stayed on, but stayed in the up position. Note: while holding the headlight switch in position, the headlights stayed illuminated. Lucky me, I had small piece of duck tape available to hold the switch in place to get me home, a two hour drive...

Third, on way home the headlights stayed on for a while but noticed the instrument cluster lights flickered on and off, I touched the headlight switch then the headlights went out. I did get the headlights to come on again and also noticed the left turn signal also influenced the dash and or headlights to act up.

So thats the story. I've spent over two hours looking for quality information and only found a couple comments with no final solutions, I may of missed something but attempted to find answer before asking.

Has anyone in the NSX universe tried to repair this part or parts? Does anyone have pictures on taking apart and removing the combo switch assembly?

Thank you for your time, happy motoring!!

the blinker switch is not mechanical it electrical dumbest thing about the NSX. I dont know if they sell them anymore and they are not fixable in my book i tried but i could never get it to work, had to source one from another NSX. try e-bay its a beast to get out as it on the very top of the steeringwheel 2 screws hold in place and 1 screw to hold the switch lever deep in the column

fixing the combo light switch is not that hard

having your pop-up light switch go bad on a drive is not fun,
but once they break they are done inless your good with a soildering iron/gun, you can sometimes melt the plastic to hold the guide pin
but that only a temp fix it will break again.

good luck

Did all this happen the same day? If so it could be a ground problem. Otherwise, Shawn's the expert and he's our hero :biggrin:.

Mike

Hello again and thank you for your input so far. The turn signal started acting up months ago, but was intermitten. I did notice however, after it rained, left turn signal issue would act up even more. Also noticed, when turn signal indicator didnt blink the lever would'nt cancel.

I will take apart in the next day or so and inspect. Looks like the column has an upper and lower cover, and there is a column lower face that needs to be taken off to get to it.

Thanks again Gents!

you are correct about the lower column cover. u need to take the lower cover off first, then there are 2 hidden screws u need to get access from underneath. those 2 screws hold the top column cover onto the steering column.. took me forever to take it off because i didn't see those 2 screws.. shine it with a flash light after u remove the lower cover and u'll see what i'm talking about.

as far as the blinker doesn't cancel out, u can remove it and clean off the contact point.
you can find it in here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6234

same thing happened to me when i first got my nsx.. that thread saved me.. :biggrin:

Regarding the turn signal issue, I had to replace the turn signal canceller unit on my '92 a few years ago. I tried to clean it first, but it didn't work. Upon replacement of the unit, all's been fine. By the way, replacing the unit was not difficult.

Back