• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long trip

Hi I have a 91 silver nsx, Was wondering how many people have taken a long trip like from south fl to nc I would like to do it but all intersate up fl, What do you think

Hi I have a 91 silver nsx, Was wondering how many people have taken a long trip like from south fl to nc I would like to do it but all intersate up fl, What do you think

I have driven NY to FLA, NY to Wisconsin, NY to Texas and NY to Ohio several times. If you can fit the luggage you will be fine in the car.

I used my 1994 NSX for my summer road trips from S. Florida to NY, Boston, Carolina, and many other places on the east coast. I'd pack my golf clubs and small bag of clothes and hit the road.

I did 3200 miles this summer, MI to NC, drive the mountains for a week then home. Last fall I did MI to CA and back, 6,000 miles total. I fine it great for long road trips, just you have to pack kind of light.

The NSX is such a great companion for long trips. Can't say the same about my S2000. :)

Seriously? I can say the same about both. For example, their trunks are shaped completely different, but I've found they hold the exact same set of bags and such, you just have to pack them differently. The S2000 also is nicer when the weather is iffy, if it starts to rain just pull over and 10 seconds later the top is up (without getting out of the car). If the weather is iffy I leave the NSX top on because it takes some work to put the top on. Yes, it only takes 2 minutes, but 2 minutes running around outside the car on the side of a freeway is not my idea of fun. I have gotten caught in the rain and gotten soaked in the NSX.

I've also found that 2.2L @ 4100 rpm in the S vs 3.2L @ 3000ish rpm (I can't remember exactly) in the NSX works out to the same speed on the freeway and almost exactly the same MPG.
I also don't worry as much about the S2000 overnight in a hotel parking lot as I do about the NSX.
However you do meet a lot more people driving the NSX, conversations in gas stations and shouted offers from guys in pickups to swap.

Seriously? I can say the same about both. For example, their trunks are shaped completely different, but I've found they hold the exact same set of bags and such, you just have to pack them differently. The S2000 also is nicer when the weather is iffy, if it starts to rain just pull over and 10 seconds later the top is up (without getting out of the car). If the weather is iffy I leave the NSX top on because it takes some work to put the top on. Yes, it only takes 2 minutes, but 2 minutes running around outside the car on the side of a freeway is not my idea of fun. I have gotten caught in the rain and gotten soaked in the NSX.

I've also found that 2.2L @ 4100 rpm in the S vs 3.2L @ 3000ish rpm (I can't remember exactly) in the NSX works out to the same speed on the freeway and almost exactly the same MPG.
I also don't worry as much about the S2000 overnight in a hotel parking lot as I do about the NSX.
However you do meet a lot more people driving the NSX, conversations in gas stations and shouted offers from guys in pickups to swap.

I guess we look for different things in a road trip car, but my reasons are as follows:

1. The NSX has much better sound insulation than the S2000, which is about as well insulated as a tin can.
2. The NSX has a much higher-torque and more relaxed engine, that cruises at a significantly lower and less noisy RPM on the highway.
3. The NSX has a much more comfortable suspension setup from the factory, whereas the S2000 can be rather bouncy.
4. The NSX has a much more relaxed steering ratio, whereas the S2000's ratio feels like it's out of a go-kart resulting in some darting feelings at speed.

I could go on, but in my book the S2000 is about as far from a road trip car as possible, whereas the NSX is able to masquerade as a GT car when needed pretty effectively. The S2000 is a very high-strung machine, which is perfect for backroad blasts and track use, but after 70,000 miles in mine I have no misconceptions about its strong suits and weaknesses.

I can't argue with any of those.

Just a guess but do you have an AP1 S2000, I think they made the AP2 a little civilized.
You do get used to the high rpms on the S, probably because most of my road trips end up at places like the dragon where we spend days running the back roads at high rpm.
As for the sound, I'm almost almost top down or top off so that doesn't matter to me. I've also found that the S2000 is actually less windy inside with the top down than the NSX is with the top off. I found out the hard way that any piece of paper inside the NSX that is not tied down will fly out if the top is off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the NSX, I love them both. To me they're like kids, they each have their own personality but I love them both equally. :)

I can't argue with any of those.

Just a guess but do you have an AP1 S2000, I think they made the AP2 a little civilized.
You do get used to the high rpms on the S, probably because most of my road trips end up at places like the dragon where we spend days running the back roads at high rpm.
As for the sound, I'm almost almost top down or top off so that doesn't matter to me. I've also found that the S2000 is actually less windy inside with the top down than the NSX is with the top off. I found out the hard way that any piece of paper inside the NSX that is not tied down will fly out if the top is off.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the NSX, I love them both. To me they're like kids, they each have their own personality but I love them both equally. :)

I actually have an '09 AP2, the final year. Having driven dozens of S2000s, they really didn't make them more civilized to any serious degree, the changes were very minute in the grand scheme.

I totally agree you get used to the S, I did plenty of 300+ mile drives back in the day. But, to me, the ideal two-person "road trip" car in theory would be something like a Bentley Continental GT - ultra refined, comfortable and fast. If you think about it that way, the S2000 is basically the worst road trip car this side of an Ariel Atom. :D

There is the difference, most of my roads trips are to places where I get to do some fun driving once I get there. The Bentley would be awesome to get there but only if I shipped the fun car so it was there when I got there. Actually the Atom is on my dream car list, I'd road trip that car the 10 hours to the dragon but I bet I'd get wet on the way there or home. :)

There is the difference, most of my roads trips are to places where I get to do some fun driving once I get there. The Bentley would be awesome to get there but only if I shipped the fun car so it was there when I got there. Actually the Atom is on my dream car list, I'd road trip that car the 10 hours to the dragon but I bet I'd get wet on the way there or home. :)

Totally, if the drive at the end is worth the trip, I'm taking the S too. :smile:

If there is no fun driving on the trip we take my wife's Mustang convertible, it gets better mileage, it's quieter, it has more room so we (her) don't have to pack so light and best of all, if I get tired of driving she'll drive since it's an automatic, she won't drive a manual. I better not mention this thread or she'll be asking about trading the Mustang is on a Bentley.

To provide the OP with another data point: I drove my wife and me from Cleveland to San Francisco, then to LA and Las Vegas on the way back, for NSXPO a year ago. That trip was 5700 miles in total. My wife loves a comfy seat and did not even once complain about shotgun seat status in my NSX.

It was fun to blast up to low triple digit speeds once in a while on I-80 in a western Wyoming, and comfy enough,even with my Bilstein shocks on low perch, to not be sore after a long day driving.

I’ve done four multi-hundred mile road trips in the NSX and would be happy to do another one tomorrow.

Your planned trip from FL to NC will be fine. :)

Last edited:
My wife and I had to cancel our September 20th, 2001 trip to Italy because of the tragic 9/11 events. Instead decided to take a long trip to the wine country and northern California. Had a choice of cars but decided to take the NSX. Almost 2K miles and nothing but wonderful memories. Two bags in the trunk and my trusted Valentine detector!

depends on your level of risk and cosmetic tolerance....a lot of wacky weird shi% can happen on the open road....as well as construction/new pavement/tumble weeds rocks/armadillos/love bugs/deer/bubba/hail/Lord Humungus/ect....................only you can know how precious your nsx is and if you are ok out in the world:wink:

My wife and I had to cancel our September 20th, 2001 trip to Italy because of the tragic 9/11 events. Instead decided to take a long trip to the wine country and northern California. Had a choice of cars but decided to take the NSX. Almost 2K miles and nothing but wonderful memories. Two bags in the trunk and my trusted Valentine detector!
I did a similar drive right after the war started. It was mid October drive from Corpus Christi to Orange County I was solo at the time, except for my dog who I dropped off in El Paso with my parents. That drive is about 1500 each way, and I did the drive over 2 weekends, more or less.

I have done 4 - 3000 + mile trips with the Gen1 NSX plus a bunch of 1000 mile trips.
Not entirely without indecent:
- Retread tire piece hit the front
- Air conditioner issues
- Bees and Monarch butterflies so dense I had to stop and scrape the windshield
-Snow on the road returning from NSXPO with smooth track tires.
The factory bra saved the car multiple times. I am on my second.

For the most part, the car has performed flawlessly and I will get back to the Gen1 for long trips once I am done with the Gen2 car.
Your trip will be a blast. Your NSX will love it. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting

I have done 4 - 3000 + mile trips with the Gen1 NSX plus a bunch of 1000 mile trips.
Not entirely without indecent:
- Retread tire piece hit the front
- Air conditioner issues
- Bees and Monarch butterflies so dense I had to stop and scape the windshield
-Snow on the road returning from NSXPO with smooth track tires.
The factory bra saved the car multiple times. I am on my second.

For the most part, the car has performed flawlessly and I will get back to the Gen1 for long trips once I am done with the Gen2 car.
Your trip will be a blast. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting post, Warren. "I will get back to the Gen1 for long trips once I am done with the Gen2 car."

:smile:

So let's hear back from you danny49 after the ~ 20 replies to your inquiry. Naples FL to NC is pretty straightforward and for the largest portion, pretty flat.
Yep, I-75 is boring. Your NSX will eat it up. Into GA there are plenty of state route options through the hills, curves, southern pine forests, small hamlets, and ag fields. No concerns if you have well-maintained your NSX. Pack the usual for your 1991 and smile every mile.

My last NSX long-distance was driving a newly purchased 2005 from Cocoa Beach FL to Michigan late November 2017 in two days - one of those things you hurry through to beat pending winter weather but retrospectively wish it could have lasted a week :wink:

Last edited:
If you have time, minimize your time on the interstates. They're ok if you're in a rush, but are also jammed with PITA semi trucks that tend to throw rocks. The back 2-lane roads are much more fun!

Back