• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a BBQ/Grill

I've got a cheap $200 char broil that is rusted to pieces. Next purchase is a weber. I'm also fond of the big green egg. I have several coworkers with them. A local BBQ store holds egg-fest every year where a bunch of people come out, cook up a bunch of food on their egs and the public can pay $5 per plate to taste everything. Owning an egg is like being part of a special club. The mods those guys do get crazy too.

Ah the reputation of Weber ...... Have had the Platinum 2200 for some 15 years now and unless they changed some designs here are some feedback to consider.

1) Weber replaced the handle of the lid with one that looks like the Type R lower brace because the standard straight one was too close to the lid and could burn one's hand/knuckles. They pretty much confessed to it so it was done for free.

2) They replaced the lid for the inside was flaking - came to find out that now they consider this normal even though the flaking is more like thin film and not grease! The replacement has done that too so I have to accept it [presumably no carcinogen effects that I will find out 10 years from now]

3) Three burners, and all three are hotter at the corner where the burners are (right side on mine). As you go further left, the heat becomes less. So thicker pieces go to the right. This has nothing to do with the burner holes being clean - I know they are; and it is on level ground.

4) Rust. Well they eventually start rusting where the movable platforms trap water especially if you have a tendcy to hose it - and yes I cover mine when not in use. Early spring, I had to scrape the original powder coat and repaint all the platform braces/edges.

As noted, there comes a time when you need to change the cooking grids - some of the burnt food/grease will NOT come out even if you scrub with wire brush or try to burn them off at max heat for 30 min. But this is maintenance ....... and i have found no solution (chemical or otherwise) to clean the burnt oil/grease splatter from the side walls. I now consider it to have patina, provenance.

Overall, otherwise, it has been hassle free and for my use it has paid itself with entertaining family and friends for the last 15 years.

Back