• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a nice MP3player with Video

For my daughter.. B-day coming very quickly...
Anyone have a suggestion for the best player available for the $$$$'s? Ipod, IRiver, Toshiba... ect. ect.
Any help would be appreciated...
Not really up on this technology at all...

Thanks
Len

I do not recommend an IPOD. My Daughter and her cousin have each gone through 2 of them since last x-mas and they are having issues with there replacements. One was just a mp3 player and the other was a video player.:confused:

I think a ipod will be a good gift. Not because of the functions (other mp3-players have better functions), but it has a lot of possibilities (tons and millions of accessories) and it's something that won't be outdated so fast.

I have one and I think it's everything a mp3-player should be... Except that is has a plastic front that easily get scratches, but a cheap plastic overlay can fix that problem.

And if you want it to be something special, you can add something like her initials back of the ipod to make her happier :) http://www.schtickers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=71
monogram2.gif

or

The really cool thing about ipod is that you can get your/your daughters name or a personal message ingraved on the back of the ipod. I have my name on it, gives it a personal touch. A personal message from you to her might make her even happier :) This service is free from Apple and you can check out more here;
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ore.woa/wo/1.RSLID?mco=9DCD1F3B&engr=9DCD1F3B
Really awesome, it won't be worn out (I tried to scratch it with my fingernails, didn't go off :))

If you want to get her a regular size ipod (not one of those tiny ones) - even the 30 gb. version has enough capacity to satisfy a average person, so you don't have to give her the more expensive 80 gb. version.

Another point is that more and more video broadcasting services, such as video.google.com, are now making their videos available in ipod format. Which means a person with a ipod can directly download almost every video they find on video.google.com (I have tons of car videos, even lot's of musicvideos are available) Download, transfer, watch :) Like here, http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4539695807698879325&q=nsx You could just choose "Download for iPod/Sony PSP" and then transfer it.

But the sh1tty part about ipod with video is that it only supports ipod video format!! Which means that she has to convert all her videos in to ipod video format to be able to play them on the player and that takes a LOT of time unless you have a hardcore PC... But then again, being able to download content directly on you ipod is a big plus too.

I would def. give a ipod as a gift if I was in the same situation.

I have 3 iPods of various sizes and generations. All have performed well and have been relatively problem free through daily use. My iPod video did have a headphone jack problem out of the box but it was replaced under warranty with one trip to the local Apple store.

len3.8 said:
For my daughter.. B-day coming very quickly...
Anyone have a suggestion for the best player available for the $$$$'s? Ipod, IRiver, Toshiba... ect. ect.
Any help would be appreciated...
Not really up on this technology at all...

Thanks
Len

Len, forget what is the best... the best is not the iPod. But to a girl, its the best. If you get anything else, it will look like a compromise. iPod is just cool and hip... seriously, nevermind its features. Its an accessory any girl would like to have. Just get that for her and I can guarantee she will be happy. You don't want to sit and explain why brand X is "better" than the iPod. Nor will she want to explain that to friends. If it was for you it would be a different story, but assuming she is young, there is no other choice.

TURBO2GO said:
Len, forget what is the best... the best is not the iPod. But to a girl, its the best. If you get anything else, it will look like a compromise. iPod is just cool and hip... seriously, nevermind its features. Its an accessory any girl would like to have. Just get that for her and I can guarantee she will be happy. You don't want to sit and explain why brand X is "better" than the iPod. Nor will she want to explain that to friends. If it was for you it would be a different story, but assuming she is young, there is no other choice.

Your spot on here! But it's not just the girls... Even the boys are having iPods and discussing/comparing them at school... But yeah for your daughter Len, get like a pink one or something so that they can be the same but different at school! And make sure it's the latest!

Wow... Nice turn out...
First thanks to all that have provided input...
She is definitely a girl's girl when it comes to the fashion and belonging stuff. She has been eyeballing the Pastel colored (Nanos????) AU NSX, correct in the pink line...

Though I think she would like to be different and have something different, I also know that she would like to be in "The In" crowd.. So I will go with what she wants and what most of you are suggesting, what she wants..:smile:

Thanks A lot... Now only if I can find it at Sam's...
I know where they are, just need to get to the store and find one... Then my teenager will like me on her B-day, at least for a few minutes....:wink:

Thanks All....
Len

Just be thankful she only wants the iPod now. Give her another year or two... Your NSX will be next...

TURBO2GO said:
Just be thankful she only wants the iPod now. Give her another year or two... Your NSX will be next...

I see a 1990 slightly rusting Jeep Cherokee LIMITED in her future.....:smile:

She knows that the only way she is getting a sports car is if she buys it....

Back