• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for early model NSX, need opinion...

please give your opinion on what model year to chose and why:
1. 1991 NSX with ~30K miles
2. 1994 NSX with ~60K miles
Assume both car are in pristine condition. What is the good price for them?

~35-37k for the 91.
~32-34k for the 94.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I would have guessed ~33-35K for the '91, ~36-38K for the '94. But Todd ought to know better than I do.

Given fairly similar prices between the two (regardless of whether you believe Todd's estimates or mine), the '91 is a better value because it has 30K fewer miles, which represents 15-20 percent of the typical car's lifespan. But the '94 has some significant upgrades (wheels, R134a A/C, passenger airbag) and will generally be worth more than a '91, all other things being equal. Close call either way.

Originally posted by NSXEnvy:
Is there any advantage to pick a 94 instead of a 91?
Thanks,
Ken outlines them pretty well... most of these you could get with a 93 as well (you can upgrade to the 16/17 wheels later). The 94 has the darker tan/camel (instead of ivory) as an interior color choice.

See the FAQ changes-by-year page for a more extensive listing.

mileage
I think that there is a difference price-wise at the 50K mark. Regardless of mileage, I'd check on service/maintenance history, just so you have no surprises.

Good luck.

please give your opinion on what model year to chose and why:
1. 1991 NSX with ~30K miles
2. 1994 NSX with ~60K miles
Assume both car are in pristine condition. What is the good price for them?

I will agree with both ken and todd on the pricing. As for which one I would pick, I think I would go with the 94. Mileage really does not seem to be an issue with NSX's. They last forever.
smile.gif

The 1994 is 3 years newer and therefore will be easier to finacance. Also, the newer Wheels and Tires are a $2500-3000 upgrade, so its worth it for that alone IMO. (of course I dont like the 15/16's) The R134a A/C in the 94 is also nice to have in case you have problems later on.
One thing to consider, and you didnt mention it, is the transmission. If either of these cars is auto, you can subtract 3-5K for that. In addition, the 91 may be in snap ring range. One last point,if the 94 is green, that also seems to go for less money.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

when i was pricing to buy mine, mileage was the important determinant in price. 91-94 nsx's were priced considerably lower once you were over 40k miles. didnt completely understand why, as 60k is nothing on these cars, but that was my finding. the year(94vs91) made little difference. ps.financing was no different whichever year you picked.

I agree with Todd and Ken as well. Miles makes all the difference on an exotic. The year on a car that looks the same for ten years, doesn't make much of a difference until you get targa and then 3.2L/6 speed.
The 91 is worth slightly more to MOST people, but in my market I will say it is closer to the low end of Ken's estimate of 33-35k. The 94 over here would be about 34-36k still, but closer to the high end.

I think mileage only makes a difference in how close to timing belt, water pump and clutch, and how the previous driver(s) have handled it. I would gladly take a car with 60-70k on the odo if the upkeep had been done and the car well taken care of, i.e. great records.

I bought my '95 with 55k, and needing a new clutch, also knowing the 60k and 90k would need doing soon due to years, not mileage. But got a great deal on it. Dropped $3500 in clutch, t-belt and pump over the next 9 months, but I had the money 9 months later, and the car has been a true joy to have for those nine months.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

-----------------------------------
the newer Wheels and Tires are a $2500-3000 upgrade
Is the stock 94's wheels worth that much?
What is the price for a used set of stock 94's wheels now? By the way, I am about to check out a 92 with ~45K miles for sale for $30K. what do you think?

To give you an idea of how much price varies, here's my guestimate of prices for a '91 five-speed, excellent condition, for various mileages:

10K miles $40K
15K miles $38K
20K miles $36K
30K miles $34K
50K miles $33K
70K miles $32K
90K miles $30K
110K miles $28K

Feel free to disagree.

Looking at these figures, you can see that, beyond the first 20-30K miles, the value goes down maybe a thousand bucks for each ten thousand miles. My point was not that price doesn't vary with mileage - it does - but rather, that it doesn't vary enough to make a higher-mileage car a better value. If you assume that the car is going to last, oh, 200K miles, then you would expect each 10K miles to result in a decrease in value of 5 percent. It does't.

the newer Wheels and Tires are a $2500-3000 upgrade
Is the stock 94's wheels worth that much?
What is the price for a used set of stock 94's wheels now?

A used set of '94+ wheels typically sells for $1400-2200, depending on condition etc. New, they cost around $2800. Tires run around $800 for a new set, but typically you replace wheels after you use up your tires, so you would have needed to buy new tires anyway.

By the way, I am about to check out a 92 with ~45K miles for sale for $30K. what do you think?

If it's in great shape, has a five-speed, has all records, clean title, etc., then it sounds like it might be a good deal. It will probably be in the snap ring range, though, so check the transmission ID and see if it's been repaired for that problem.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 January 2002).]

nsx fleet car...lol sounds like it was used for that purpose to save on insurance or something how many miles are on it

if your looking to save money on an nsx by a lightly theft recovery you can pick one up with minimal damage for the high teens,
if not you'll pay anywhere from $25,000 to $35,000 for a 91' nsx depending on location, the person, miles, color etc. and only personally prefrence and some knowledge can make you decide wether you are getting a car that is a good deal :)

There's nothing wrong with being registered as a corporate fleet car. It could just be that the owner's employer was paying the bills.

Is the 92 this one? '92 NSX, red/blk, 5spd 47k mi, ex cond $30,000 ..

I saw it on cars.com Sounds like a great deal if the car is in excellent condition.

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

-------------
Is the 92 this one? '92 NSX, red/blk, 5spd 47k mi, ex cond $30,000 ..
---------------
yes, that's it. Actually the car had 45,9xx miles.

Cool, did you take it for a spin? There is also a 91 for sale with 65K miles for 30K. Also a good deal and you might be able to talk him down if you show him the 92 with less miles. But it all depends on the condition of the cars. Just make SURE to check the snap ring issue.

Good Luck!

------------------

For what its worth, in the Seattle area I've seen 2-3 recent sales on the models you mentioned.

'91 60k 5-speed blk/blk. Listed $27k sold $26k
'91 Blk/Ivory. Eddie Lee's car. Think he listed it at $27k. Not sure of final price.
'94 5-speed 70k, custom wheels. Listed at $41k then $39k, then sold for $38k.
'94 Same as above. Listed at $39k for 2 months. Not sure what it sold for.

I've rarely seen a '94 dip as low as the '91-'92 models. Also, if I was going to sell a '91-'92 quickly (i.e. < 1 month) I would price it right at $30k for great condition and dip into the high 20's for anything else. Its definately a buyers market right now.

Back