• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for recomendations. Door speakers, deck

Woo Hoo. I have decided to replace my 'stock' Bose system. I am asking for some product recommendations to narrow my research. I say 'stock’, because the former owner had a ton of stereo stuff, and much of it was removed before I took ownership. All that remains are some nicely mounted MB Quart highs in the door, and a big ole Precision Power PC4100 amp in the trunk. I believe that my door speakers are stock Bose, but I cannot be sure.

I don’t want to drop a ton of money on this setup. My price range is about $300-$400 for the head unit. I would like a MP3 support, a remote control, and concealed (motorized) faceplate. I am also partial to Alpine.

I am really at a loss for what do use in the doors. Of course I want to keep the stock look of the doors. Cutting/Demolition work in my door does not give me the warm fuzzies :) What size should I be looking for? Can I get two or three way 5.25”? I need serious help here. Again, I am not looking for something terribly expensive. Great sounding quality speakers that will fit nicely.

As for the Sub, I know about the JL Audio subs designed for small enclosures, ie. passenger’s floorboard. I recall seeing a model number in some post during my search of this forum. I think an 8” sub in custom enclosure would be fine.

I would assume that the PP amp, I had specs at one time, can drive the whole system: sub, 2 highs, 2 door speakers, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Finally, crossovers; Will I need 3 (sub, door, highs), or can I get a single device that can handle it all? Totally clueless here.

Thanks in advance!

Alpine CDA-9815 probably has everything you want in a head in your price range - you can get this for < $400 , check out some e-bay e-tailers.
You have an excellent base in that PPI amp, so that is a great foundation. You can certainly bridge the rear channels to drive a sub so that is all you need in that dept.
Why do you think the MB mids are not there? It would surprise me if the previous owner would remove the mids & C/O's without taking the tweeters which were obviously left to avoid leaving a hole in the door. If they are complete you should be in good shape - you can certainly can do a lot worse than MB's. Probably PCE 216 (~$250) I would think - QM 216 (~$390) would be nice if your budget will go that far.
I would remove the door panel to see what you're looking at:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf - go to page 832 by typing 832 (enter) in the field at the bottom that says 1 of 1420

You will need crossovers for the front stage but these normally come with the speaker component set - best to use the OEM one designed for whatever speakers you use, as they are matched specifically for those components characteristics. For the sub, you'll use the low pass filter in the amp (I'm assuming it has one!)

Well, if the MB mids are there then the right is blown. The Bose speakers in my old NSX went out, and the right speaker sounds curiously a Bose in dying.

I am not very mechanically inclined so opening the doors will take me at least half a day :) At least for the first one...

Thanks for the head unit recommendation.

Don't worry about the door panel removal, pretty straight forward if you follow the link to the manual instructions - I can get mine off in 10 mins, so even an hour for a "rookie" is generous.
The only thing that might be tricky is, once you remove all the screws, etc, then the panel doesn't seem to want to come out: just pry it out (away from the door skin) at the top rear corner where you removed the trim piece next to the glass) and at same time grab the lower part of panel immediately below & rotate it towards the front of the car (clockwise for drivers side, anti-ck for pass) and it should come out. Be careful of the various connectors that are attached so just loosen it uo so you can unplug those before removing the whole panel and placing aside.
I know you can do it - go for it!
Good Luck!

p.s. let me know if you need those mounting plates

Back