• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looks so good in Grand Prix White ala Tokyo Motor Show

87cf206053e011e3893112e1b6328fc9_8.jpg

There is something about this angle and photo that suggests that the nose is really not that thick or the hoodline is really not that tall compared to this:

d905e04a53db11e3a368122b4cdd1683_8.jpg

I still am very curious as to how they elongate the tail to fit the longitudinal engine now. I think part of the reason the front looks so tall or bulbous is because the tail is so snub and short. It needs to be longer and bigger to contrast the sharp/thin nose. It should truly return the proportions to that of the original NSX if they change rear as I suggested. I hope Honda does not miss that opportunity.

Last edited:
I agree Nspec, your CAD mockups illustrated that nicely. 2.0 would look more aggressive if it weren't as stubby. Out of curiosity I quickly overlaid the 458 and NSX on top of one another, interestingly the big difference is in the nose. I've seen people comment on it being too high compared to other exotics and it looks like that's happening simply because it ends sooner. The Ferrari's tail end looks longer despite being similar because the back end is lower and the rear wheel flares more pronounced it seems - I didn't expect that.

f458nsx.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Nspec, your CAD mockups illustrated that nicely. 2.0 would look more aggressive if it weren't as stubby. Out of curiosity I quickly overlaid the 458 and NSX on top of one another, interestingly the big difference is in the nose. I've seen people comment on it being too high compared to other exotics and it looks like that's happening simply because it ends sooner. The Ferrari's tail end looks longer despite being similar because the back end is lower and the rear wheel flares more pronounced it seems - I didn't expect that.

That's a good overlay and I'm glad you brought that up. There are a few things that can easily be overlooked though when comparing two photos from different perspectives. The first thing to consider are the actual dimensions of the two and similar angles/camera lens. The NSX Concept supposedly stands 45.7 inches and has about 101.x wheelbase (2 inches longer than the original). The 458 stands 47.7 inches and has a 104.x inch wheel base.

Here is a true perspective overlay viewing the 458 and NSX Concept from the same precise angle and lens. Rest assured, both of my personal 3d models are quite accurate. The wheelbase and heights are correct and true:

NSXvs458_zpse625bfce.jpg

As you can see, the NSX concept actually is sporting the minimum required height for headlight level and the hoodline is actually lower than the 458 (stock vs stock). Ferrari's long and sharp nose creates the illusion that it's lower, but we've seen the 458 versus the original NSX and the NSX is clearly smaller/lower. If the final production NSX design can take note of these details and tweak the nose and rear, they can optimize the look and perception.

Honda could simply raise the front bumper's ground clearance (without raising actual spring height) to make the frontal area thinner and thus appear lower/sleeker. The original NSX has a thin black strip that help thin out the frontal area and create the slimmer illusion also. The Corvettes are also like this and they also sit higher than the NSX.

Again, perspective can play a very important role on perception. Look at the side profile based on too different perspectives (distance of camera to object):

2015-Acura-NSX-concept-side-view-796x528.jpg

Acura-NSX-Concept-side.jpg

The further you step away from the NSX concept, the less perspective there is and thus it will show sleeker and longer. See how sharp and clean the nose looks when you step away, but the rear still looks a bit snub...

N Spec - Nice to see someone as crazy as me - up on Prime at 4 AM.

With all due respect to your design chops, aren't the two pictures of the NSX Concept above partly so different because the silver one is the car that debuted at the 2012 NAIAS and the charcoal car is the revised version that debuted at the 2013 NAIAS with the revised grill (and I believe, slightly longer rear bumper)?

N Spec - Nice to see someone as crazy as me - up on Prime at 4 AM.

With all due respect to your design chops, aren't the two pictures of the NSX Concept above partly so different because the silver one is the car that debuted at the 2012 NAIAS and the charcoal car is the revised version that debuted at the 2013 NAIAS with the revised grill (and I believe, slightly longer rear bumper)?

The revised concept saw detail changes, not proportion/shape changes. I am 99% sure of this. If you look at up close pics of the revised version, the bumpers will still look snub as they normally do. I'd rather not make another graphic to illustrate this. It's just perspective that changes the look. Trust me.

- - - Updated - - -

O yea, these aren't design chops. They are fairly accurate 3d models of the cars that I created piece by piece from blueprints and reference photos. That is why I can get indefinite angles and finishes, etc. I supposed my personalized changes/models could be considered chops tho.

So you are saying that the 2013 show car is not longer than the 2012 show car?

And when I overlay the pictures of the two, the reason the cars look to be different sizes (keeping the wheel diameter the same) it is just because the camera is not the same distance from the car?

How do you know?

I knew this from the very beginning of when I first started creating 3D models of cars and then more specifically back in 2012, when I made the NSX Concept. It's all perspective. Just go take a picture of any car's side profile. Take it 10 feet away and then 30 feet away, then scale the images to match the wheelbase if you want and compare. There is a difference in perception and you shall see. Perspective can be very deceiving and it still plays tricks on me and I dwell in the space and dimensions of these cars/objects for hours upon hours at a time.

Better get a paternity test. Looks like milkman Zanardi may have been around the neighborhood 9 months ago too.

Plus I have it on very good authority from the creator of that picture that it does *not* have the axe murderer/shield/beak grille and instead has a completely classy and original grille like a 458 or Ford GT or even the NSX gen-1 (with pop-ups or frog eyes, doesn't matter, both are much better than the gen-2 beakazoid grille IMHO).

:)

Performance aside, the new(er) NSX-v2 snapshots resemble a more exotic spin on Accord/Civic form-factors & design/style cues. Understandably, Honda/Acura aesthetic & cosmetic direction is to be expected, but too much similarity in "a view from afar" isn't my cup 'o tea. Gosh, I just need to see an actual NSX-v2 production-version in'person... =/

Performance aside, the new(er) NSX-v2 snapshots resemble a more exotic spin on Accord/Civic form-factors & design/style cues. Understandably, Honda/Acura aesthetic & cosmetic direction is to be expected, but too much similarity in "a view from afar" isn't my cup 'o tea. Gosh, I just need to see an actual NSX-v2 production-version in'person... =/

I think the biggest similarity is from the 3/4 front view. It looks like any other typical sporty coupe now that the C pillars exist on the new NSX thanks what I imagine is also a result of stringent safety regulations and standards. The full on side view, front view and rear view leaves the new NSX very unique looking.

Back