• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lost power to a couple things after jump

A week ago everything was fine except my ignition switch started going out. Parked the nsx until the new switch arrived. Upon arrival the new switch went in and wouldn’t start because of a dead battery. Hooked it up to a battery jump box with no luck but jumped it with another car up front with success.

I jumped it up front where the battery is located but now the heater/Ac won’t turn on, my s2000 cluster won’t light up but accessories and oil, battery lights come on. Aircup compressor doesn’t wanna start, fan won’t come on and my TC light and abs light are on. All these issues did not exist before I jumpers it and put a new ignition switch in. Did I blow all these relays? Fuses are good I replaced them what is going on? How did a jump cause so much damage?

Check fuses again.
Maybe not intuitive but go a step back and try with the old switch again.
Last but not least: is the battery ok?

Did you check the big main fuse (120A I think) in the engine compartment? It normally blown when jumpstarting went bad.

Did you check the big main fuse (120A I think) in the engine compartment? It normally blown when jumpstarting went bad.

It is not the #3 (120 amp) fuse. Everything would be dead if the 120 amp fuse had blown and the OP reports that he has dash lights.

Boosting the car from the front rather than the jump terminal in the back is not inherently bad, just a hell of a lot more difficult. It can go bad if you accidently touched a hot booster clamp to something other than the battery + post during the boost attempt - which is easier to do up front because the battery location is not exactly convenient. Did the boost from the front go off without any accidents?

Perhaps the OP can provide some details on the battery jump box - what is it? Is it one of those lithium ion starter packs? If so, is it one with the 12v / 24v switchable option and if so is there any chance you hit the car with 24 volts instead of 12 volts during the start attempt? That could have damaged some electronics.

I know zip about the S2000 instrument cluster so the OP is kind of on his own there. He mentioned the oil pressure warning light. Does it stay on all the time or just light up prior to start up (normal operation)? Same with the charge indicator light. If the charging system light and the oil pressure light operate the same as they do on the NSX cluster and they stay lit all the time that is a pretty good indication that there is a short to ground somewhere (or no oil pressure and a dead alternator) in the wiring associated with the cluster. Perhaps wiring got moved around / damaged during the ignition switch replacement?

The engine started when boosted from another car? If the engine starts, does the S2000 cluster have a voltage display and if it does what is the car voltage running at? If it doesn't have a display borrow a voltmeter and measure the running voltage. If it isn't around 14 volts, you have some 'other' problems. If the car starts and the voltage is OK I am inclined to think that the problem may be related to the replacement of the ignition switch. However, with a molded plug that connects the switch to the wiring harness it is pretty close to impossible to mess up the replacement of the switch. I would be inclined to check the operation of the new switch as described in the Electrical Section of the service manual and hope that the new switch might be defective - because the other options are all kind of ugly. I would also be inclined to look for some electrical connections that might have been disturbed during the switch replacement.

I had to jump start it once with another 12V battery (not a booster pack) and there's nothing wrong with connecting it at the battery terminals directly.

Nothing wrong, just jump terminal in back easy to get to, battery + terminal not so easy to get to.

Back