• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

‘95 NSX-T won’t start. Battery good. No Cranks. 2 plugs behind passenger glove box?

Hello,

My family and I just picked up a ‘95 NSX-T with 82k miles 5MT. The car just randomly stalled and died. It won’t start up again and there’s no crank.

Battery gets 12.5 v and 12.5 v when the key is being to turned

Headlights good
Cluster/Dash is good
Dome light turns on when the doors are open
Power window goes up and down

I’m trying to look for the starter relay behind the passenger glove, and saw these plugs not being plugged. What are these for?

It also had an aftermarket alarm which I took out thinking it could be the kill switch? Viper 350HV

Attachments

• IMG_9868.jpeg
    IMG_9868.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9871.jpeg
    IMG_9871.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 27
your ignition mechanism where you insert your key may be going or gone..

First the easy bit. That blue plug is likely the service check connector which you short to trigger the display of error codes - it is not plugged in to anything so it is not the cause of your problems.

Here is a picture of the factory starter cut relay after the dash has been removed. After removing the cover under the glove box along with the glove box you can probably just barely see it. Getting your hands on it is a completely different hell (have bandages available).

starter cut relay.jpg

The other plug is a bit of a mystery. You would need to retrieve the color codes on the wires to start guessing at its function. It looks like a two cavity plug which makes me think it is not the starter cut relay.

If you were driving and it just died, then I think @docjohn has a good suggestion that the problem might be originating with the ignition switch on the back of the ignition key lock cylinder. With a modest amount of contortion, it is fairly easy for a younger person to access and remove the switch for testing

Go here and download the 1991 factory service manual
It will tell you how to remove the switch and test it (starts page 23-72). If the switch fails the tests, sometimes you can rehabilitate it by popping off the white cover to expose the contacts which can be cleaned with some IPA and #600 Si O2 paper. New switches are not particularly expensive - Rock Auto has them.

If the ignition switch tests good, then the problem is more complicated. The factory starter interlock can prevent operation of the starter motor; but, it cannot kill the engine once it is running so a problem with the starter interlock does not really jive with your description of events. In you photo of the dash, I notice that the MIL/CEL is not lit up. When you first turn the ignition key to the run position (do not engage starter), the MIL/CEL should light up for 3 or 4 seconds which confirms that the ECU has powered up. You should also hear the fuel pump run for 3 - 4 seconds while it primes the fuel system. A failing ignition switch can block the MIL/CEL and prevent the prime cycle. If the ignition switch is good then there is some other problem and I would be looking at that aftermarket alarm system wiring.

In the OEM vehicle wiring, the security system can only block the operation of the starter motor. Once the vehicle has started the security system cannot stop the engine - that is a safety feature. If your aftermarket security system was wired in so that it blocks both the starter motor and the main EFI relay (which controls the ECU and the fuel pump) then a problem with the security system could have killed the engine and prevented it from cranking and starting. Because of safety issues that is a bad practise; but, people on Prime have discussed making this modification.

If your problem is not the ignition switch, then I fear you may be reduced to digging out the wiring diagrams for the starter motor and the main EFI relay circuit and tracing and testing to figure out why they are not operating / where the interconnection point with your aftermarket alarm was.

For reference,
- the starter motor control / interlock system is described starting on page 22-77 of the manual
- the best place for a wiring diagram which shows the main EFI relay which controls the ECU and the fuel pump is in the wiring diagrams which start of 23-350 - #14

Two final hale Mary's
- go check the battery post clamps. More than a few NSXs have been disabled because the battery post clamps have come loose. Honda battery post clamps are made from recycled soup cans and are easily stretched and damaged if they have been over tightened
- do you know how to use a remote starter switch? If so, connect one end to the jump start terminal in the engine relay box and the other to the solenoid on the starter motor. Press the switch and the starter motor should spin because this by-passes everything. If you turn the ignition switch to the run position and the ECU is powering up this should start the engine. This is my back-up plan for dealing with a failure of the clutch interlock switch (a different problem).

Old guy better stay young guy...:cool:

Thank guys. I appreciate your input. I just put an ignition switch order for overnight shipping. Will report back

Could possibly be the main relay solder joints failing - it’s a good idea to get a spare one of these anyway.
That's what I was thinking with it dying while running, something getting loose/poorly connected in the main relay and chopping either the fuel pump or the spark plug coil voltages. Unless there's something left over from the alarm. Some alarms in the past were designed to disable the car after a few minutes.

I wish you all the best with this - it was a solid day digging out an old Clifford Sabre 2 from a previous owner.

Last edited:
A main EFI relay failure will prevent the engine from starting; but, it will not prevent the starter motor from engaging. The starter will spin until the cows come home, it is just that the engine will not fire. A dead ignition switch will kill all systems; but, so will a creatively installed mal functioning security system.

Without testing, it is not definitive that it is the ignition switch. However, on a 28 year old car replacing the ignition switch pre-emptively would never be a bad thing. Ditto with the main EFI relay - unless it's already on its second main EFI relay which is a high probability on a 1995.

I attempted to change my ignition switch harness. With the new Honda harness, the key won’t turn and the steering wheel locked up and won’t turn. The radio lights up and I can hear a mechanism in the rear. I’m a bit confused.

Edit:
I fixed that issue by turning the dial inside the new ignition harness. Car still doesn’t crank.

The check engine light does turn on 3-4 seconds before turning off. The moment I turned the ignition all the way to the right. It shuts off the relay in the passenger side?

Last edited:
For the no crank condition, check to make sure that the little plastic button that operates the clutch pedal interlock switch has not dropped out. This will result in a no crank condition and is a really common problem as the plastic button ages and then cracks and falls out. You haven't found any pieces of broken plastic in the driver's side footwell?

Do the remote starter switch test on the starter solenoid. Applying 12 volts directly to the starter solenoid terminal by-passes absolutely everything. If the starter does not crank with this test then you have a starter motor problem. Do not have the ignition switched to run because if you do this test and the ignition is in the run position the engine will start up on you - unless you have additional creative wiring modifications.

I’m in the process of removing my starter. The air box is out. I noticed that this wire (blue and white) is loose. It’s literally hanging out and behind the starter. Any idea where it goes?

Attachments

• IMG_0102.png
    IMG_0102.png
    648.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0101.png
    IMG_0101.png
    626.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 23
I don’t see a Blue/White wire in the diagram.

Attachments

• IMG_0110.png
    IMG_0110.png
    292.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0109.png
    IMG_0109.png
    219.8 KB · Views: 11
I’m in the process of removing my starter. The air box is out. I noticed that this wire (blue and white) is loose. It’s literally hanging out and behind the starter. Any idea where it goes?
That wire is not a stock wire.

The blue insulating jacket in the 3rd photo is a mystery.

Do you have a non function oil pressure gauge? In your second photo that black blob attached to the engine block is the oil pressure sender unit and it so happens that the body side harness wire for the sender is blue with a white trace. This looks kind of ominous with what appears to be the remains of a blue/white wire. Check to confirm whether that plug is attached to the sender or the blue/white wire is attached to the sender and that would confirm the function of the wire.
Mystery plug.jpg

It is not related to your starting problems.

Did you determine that the starter is dead? If so, be aware that the common failure is the solenoid contacts and they are replaceable. There are a couple of threads on Prime with pictures detailing the solenoid rebuild.

AIL4fc873XLPZzQ-Rxh62oZJVf81EisUpvxIxavClid9ibRpx4Jo1s9SqKjHicf45p113_9tN0R79ISnb46r4cPJ17ZqPir4Vb4SAUyEIrVMJho9tAkUZhKjxFp6VyieX6hGGq1y29lrn7SYylb-JIjk53UErQ=w1080-h608-s-no

AIL4fc_cTA3MSdPgF3o5rhBLcPNrO77Y63NNfu3OJ5xI0nitpPZ4gRyXLRsw388IBi1zO8H9r7kxJ5BR2f_GA1sH9nJE8VECyjuSCqHh6ODIiGwelT2aGV4vpW6Qr1m4MlgkIiqsaS8MUrit6fF4VFTC6lUhgQ=w1080-h608-s-no

Not related to your starting issue but that blue sleeve is for the OEM oil pressure sender unit.
The BLU/WHT wire is the actual wire from the top of the sender unit covered by the blue sleeve (your 3rd photo).

Unfortunately, in your 2nd photo, looks like the wire was pinched/cut.....

Kaz

For the no crank condition, check to make sure that the little plastic button that operates the clutch pedal interlock switch has not dropped out. This will result in a no crank condition and is a really common problem as the plastic button ages and then cracks and falls out. You haven't found any pieces of broken plastic in the driver's side footwell?

Do the remote starter switch test on the starter solenoid. Applying 12 volts directly to the starter solenoid terminal by-passes absolutely everything. If the starter does not crank with this test then you have a starter motor problem. Do not have the ignition switched to run because if you do this test and the ignition is in the run position the engine will start up on you - unless you have additional creative wiring modifications.

The clutch interlock switch plastic is the upper? I know there’s 2 of them. The orange in the attached picture

Attachments

• IMG_0133.png
    IMG_0133.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
The clutch interlock switch plastic is the upper? I know there’s 2 of them. The orange in the attached picture
The clutch starter interlock switch is the upper / agony to reach one.

It’s the clutch starter interlock. I did the clutch bypass with the paper clip and it started up. I got a new rubber piece but it’s difficult getting my hand in there. For now, we are gonna keep the paper clip.

The starter is good but we still got it rebuilt.

It’s alive. Thank you all for your insight.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
If you search on Prime you can find many creative methods for installing the button / spacer / whatever you want to call it. I drilled a tiny hole in the center of the spacer, knotted some fishing line then ran it through the hole in the stopper and then fished the other end of the line through the mount for the button with some needle noses. I used the fishing line to pull the button mostly into place and then pushed it home with a long screwdriver. I got this technique from another Prime member.

That is good that it seems to be fixed; but it does not really jive with your first statement
The car just randomly stalled and died.
The clutch interlock switch problem will not stop the car, just stop you from starting the car. You might have another problem waiting for you.

Back