• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lotus Emira

I started casually looking for a 718 Cayman GT4 a few months ago, and I quickly realized that I wasn't going to be able to get a new one ever or find a used one that I was willing to pay way over MSRP for with a bunch of owners and miles. I didn't even have the Emira on my radar but after configuring one on the website, diving into some reviews, and seeing the spec sheet it seems like the kind of car that could do everything the Porsche can, looks every bit as good, and like the fate of the 718 will likely be the last gasoline car for Lotus. I believe it could be the kind of car that's instantly worth more than you pay for it and will only appreciate over time. I also really like that similar to the NSX you're getting the reliability of a time-tested Toyota V6 and a 6 speed manual.

I talked to my closest dealer and they aren't charing over MSRP. To get on the list for one it's a fully refundable $2,500 deposit (up until the point when the build begins), which to me sounds like a no brainer. I think I'm going to get a friend for the NSX.lotus-emira-vY2Wj9gJ.png

Go 6 speed and V6 and you might drive the nsx less...plus you can have some laughs punishing adults sitting in the back..

I put down a deposit on an emira when it was announced 2 years ago. Be warned that due to production issues, the wait will be very long.

I definitely think of this as a modern spiritual successor to the NSX!

Go 6 speed and V6 and you might drive the nsx less...plus you can have some laughs punishing adults sitting in the back..
no back seats on the emira, so thats REALLY punishing... :D

I put down a deposit on an emira when it was announced 2 years ago. Be warned that due to production issues, the wait will be very long.

I definitely think of this as a modern spiritual successor to the NSX!
I hear you. The dealer that I've been speaking with said for sure that the people who ordered first have been waiting the longest. But he's been told by Lotus that production is supposed to ramp up pretty good in January and I could potentially have a car by summer/fall 2024. I assume that could be an empty promise from Lotus, but I'd be willing to wait it out.

Wow that was actually an attractive option to me with the previous evora, but the new car is better overall from what I have read..there is a sport option correct?

Wow that was actually an attractive option to me with the previous evora, but the new car is better overall from what I have read..there is a sport option correct?
Yes, from what I've gathered so far the sport option gives you a more track focused suspension setup and Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, whereas touring is "tuned for everyday road use" and comes with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports.

Also looks like they'll have an Emira GT4 at some point too!

you can actually get any combo of sport / touring suspension and F1 / Cup2's. i opted for sport and cup2's and during my test drive on one i thought it was totally fine although some have mentioned that its a bit harsh as a daily driver in that configuration. (i disagree)

lotus has not done a great job at sticking to timelines so be prepared for a lot of moving targets and conflicting information.

with regards to the car being "better" than the evora, they did dial back the redline a bit and add some weight, but what you get in return is a fresh exterior and a much nicer interior with questionable seats (some have commented not aggressive enough in bolstering and feels like it sits too high in the cabin. unclear at this point if thats relative to the low belt line of the car or if it is actually high relative the road).

Yes, from what I've gathered so far the sport option gives you a more track focused suspension setup and Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, whereas touring is "tuned for everyday road use" and comes with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports.

Also looks like they'll have an Emira GT4 at some point too!
GT4 version is not for road use and the price is absurd. forgot what it was but its track only :(

I believe it could be the kind of car that's instantly worth more than you pay for it and will only appreciate over time. I
It might be, but I wouldn't buy the car if that's in the top 3 of your reasoning for getting the car. , Check out the evora prices. I haven't looked recently, but I don't think many of them have gone up. Nonetheless, I think emiras are beautiful low volume sports cars with none of the dealer markup, flashy badges, and absurd used prices caused collectors. I saw one at a Cars and Coffee and it looked really good.

I had an Emira on order, drove one that was touring the US at the dealer last year, but after 18 months I literally ran out of enthusiasm and cancelled the order.

Also really hate the Atari-inspired dashboard. It would be easy to offer a software setting to display round tach/speedo onscreen, but they don’t have that. Really hate ALL the tech in cars these days, it’s not helpful- just annoying to my old brain.

My dealer was Gator, who has a great reputation, but I wasn’t looking forward to having service two hours away.

It might be, but I wouldn't buy the car if that's in the top 3 of your reasoning for getting the car. , Check out the evora prices. I haven't looked recently, but I don't think many of them have gone up. Nonetheless, I think emiras are beautiful low volume sports cars with none of the dealer markup, flashy badges, and absurd used prices caused collectors. I saw one at a Cars and Coffee and it looked really good.
Agree, I don't view this particular car as a slam dunk investment opportunity.

I had an Emira on order, drove one that was touring the US at the dealer last year, but after 18 months I literally ran out of enthusiasm and cancelled the order.

Also really hate the Atari-inspired dashboard. It would be easy to offer a software setting to display round tach/speedo onscreen, but they don’t have that. Really hate ALL the tech in cars these days, it’s not helpful- just annoying to my old brain.

My dealer was Gator, who has a great reputation, but I wasn’t looking forward to having service two hours away.
You are for sure not the only one. Many people have lost patience and are not prepared to deal with Lotus ... quirks... that dealer is supposedly one of the best in the country though! When it comes to the tech, from my test drive I can confirm that it is all the old school goodness when it comes to driving dynamics, and the displays / software fade into the background.

You are for sure not the only one.
I really like the brand- had an Elan Sprint, then before the cars were federalized, I bought a new 1999 track-only Elise Sport 190 that I accidentally drove on the street, and later a 2010 Elise. Maybe I'll reorder once the cars are shipping, who knows....
.all three lotus.jpg

It might be, but I wouldn't buy the car if that's in the top 3 of your reasoning for getting the car.
Yea I hear you for sure. If I do end up ordering one, the primary objective is to drive and enjoy it. At this point in my life I'm not buying any cars solely for the investment purposes. Any appreciation over the time I own it would simply be a nice bonus.

I finally saw one in person at a local car show by an employee who works at the local Lotus parts distribution center.
He said they only have 2 'launch edition' cars at their facility, the blue one pictured and a yellow one.
It's a good looking car for sure!
IMG_6295.JPG

I really liked the 03 Esprit S4 it was bright yellow and a blast to drive. It would pull hard regardless of gear or RPM. The gearing was a perfect match for the euro tune on it. Very Kit car / Race car like. Paint was gorgeous but the panels rattled a lot but they fit good. Maybe it was just from the TT V8 rumble. Sounded really cool too. I miss that car.

I took an Exige S for a test drive I really wanted one at one point but they are made for tiny people. It was so impractical so small I really wanted to fit in it. It was just too small for me to live with.

I haven’t driven any of the newer larger Lotus cars but I have always liked like the concepts. Not sure how I feel about the look of the new ones. Looks very Ferrari. But the Emira is definitely the best looking thing to come out of Lotus lately.

Always Wished they brought that open wheel 340R roadster that was built for track to the US.

I have had a $3k deposit for an Emira since 12/22 with an estimated delivery of Q1 2025. In the meantime, I've been glued to two Lotus forums to see what the first testers (owners) have discovered. Well, let's just say that it's been very depressing. There have been lots of problems and many very upset owners.
In fact, that's why I am on this forum more often. Since the closest Lotus dealership to me is about 80 miles away, I HAVE to place high significance on reliability. Unfortunately, owners in the UK have been beta testers of sorts. My guess is that the NSX is much more reliable.

I already have a Mazda MX5, so I don't need a drop top or another manual transmission. The Miata is a blast to drive and I intend to keep it. The Emira is very good looking and its powertrain should be very robust, but its electronics may be coming from its parent company, Geely in China, because they are not robust to say the least.
Also keep in mind that a Hyundai Ionic 5 EV is just as fast as the Emira. A Toyota Supra is quite a bit faster.
Emiras are supposed to land here in the US by the end of the year. I'm not sure I will wait that long before backing out.

Harry Metcalfe (former editor of EVO magazine) has had his Emira for several months - you can find some reviews on his experience on his.YouTube channel Harry’s Garage

Here’s one video

Many Lotus forum members believe that Harry's Lotus Emira was given "special" attention before he picked it up, given its unusual lack of issues compared to cars of customers who are not youtube reviewers.
When Consumer Reports magazine buys vehicles to test, they purposely do so from a dealership lot, so as to eliminate any "special treatment" by the manufacturer.

Many Lotus forum members believe that Harry's Lotus Emira was given "special" attention before he picked it up, given its unusual lack of issues compared to cars of customers who are not youtube reviewers.
When Consumer Reports magazine buys vehicles to test, they purposely do so from a dealership lot, so as to eliminate any "special treatment" by the manufacturer.
its hard to get a true sense of how problematic these cars are but anecdotal evidence certainly suggests that its fairly high. i would probably back out if i needed the car to be reliable as a daily, although anybody who was hoping for that has already moved on due to the delays.

it seems like a lot of the issues are software related which is a fairly easy update at the dealer once they have the fix. i am still hoping to get mine in Q1 of next year.

its hard to get a true sense of how problematic these cars are but anecdotal evidence certainly suggests that its fairly high. i would probably back out if i needed the car to be reliable as a daily, although anybody who was hoping for that has already moved on due to the delays.

it seems like a lot of the issues are software related which is a fairly easy update at the dealer once they have the fix. i am still hoping to get mine in Q1 of next year.
I've seen percentage estimations that were much higher than they should be. I would not depend upon the car on a daily basis but living 80 miles away from a dealership could be a major hassle if the car has drivability issues. It's sad that I live in a huge city that has every other car company dealership except Lotus. Even McLaren is within 20 minutes of my house.

It seems that daily, there is an issue with someone's recently-purchased Emira. Today, I spotted one that had a loose ground that was not convenient to tighten. Another couple of owners have AC units that are making strange noises. My deposit is getting closer and closer to being pulled, while NC1 NSXs are looking better and better. Unfortunately, used car loan rates are still through the roof.

Back