• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lovefab meth/water users: questions

For those running a Lovefab kit with the AEM meth/water kit, what are your settings on the progressive controller?

Mine is set to start at 0.5 psi and 100% at around 33psi. So it seems I'm maybe hitting 25% duty cycle at my target boost of 8psi. Maybe the nozzle is huge, I haven't taken it out to see.

Also, for some reason my LED does not gradually light up during spool. It just comes on and stays on at around 8psi. It would seem then that my 0.5psi start is not occuring until 8psi which makes no sense...maybe a progressive controller failure?

For those running a Lovefab kit with the AEM meth/water kit, what are your settings on the progressive controller?

Mine is set to start at 0.5 psi and 100% at around 33psi. So it seems I'm maybe hitting 25% duty cycle at my target boost of 8psi. Maybe the nozzle is huge, I haven't taken it out to see.

Also, for some reason my LED does not gradually light up during spool. It just comes on and stays on at around 8psi. It would seem then that my 0.5psi start is not occuring until 8psi which makes no sense...maybe a progressive controller failure?

Why 33psi? Mine is 100% at 4 psi and I'm using the smallest nozzle.

Why 33psi? Mine is 100% at 4 psi and I'm using the smallest nozzle.

No idea, this is the original setting from the tune that was done about 2.5 years ago. It doesn't seem right to me either. The car has been running flawlessly, but I'm taking it in to clean up the tune in the next couple of weeks and maybe bump 1-2psi and I wanted to button up any issues before I took it in to save tuning time for the actual tuning.

I just took my nozzle out. According to an SRT4 forum, these are the measurments (guessing M as in thread sizing?):

Small = 155cc/min = M2
Med = 315cc/min = slightly larger that M4
Large = 630cc/min = between M7 and M10

I've posted a pic of mine below...the nozzle hole looks like the smallest when I look at AEM kit photos...maybe that is what it is.

20120414_133411.jpg

20120502_173233.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I'm definitely rockin' the small nozzle based on this handy post:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762364

Now to just figure out why the previous tuner used these funky start/max psi settings so the new tuner can know approximately where to begin.

He was probably too lazy to change nozzles, he just cranked up the max setting. The car would have ran too fat if he had used your existing nozzle with a lower max setting...

Last edited:
If you can stand buying a few more parts AEM has a new gauge and sensor to measure the flow of meth in CC's. You can set high and low flow limits to trigger an alarm or switch maps if your meth flow drops due to a pump failure or clogged nozzel. I am setting one up on a car now and will be using it on the dyno and tune very soon. The issue with any of the progressive controllers is you really have no idea how much meth is being injected and if it ever falls off without something like this. The meth or loss of meth will show up in your AFR but you have to pay close attention to your AFR's to catch something.

If you are running with a AEM EMS it has a 0-5v output that can be setup as an input to the ECU and then mapped as an ignition and/or fuel modifier. Using this method it will only add timing to your full gas tune if the flow of meth is measured. No meth no timing added or fuel removed.

Hopefully this thing works as promissed.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/gauges-26/water-methanol-failsafe-device-56/

Dave

He was probably too lazy to change nozzles, he just cranked up the max setting. The car would have ran too fat if he had used your existing nozzle with a lower max setting...

Well, problem is that if it is set to 33psi and the boost is only 8psi, then I'm sitting at 25% duty cycle at 8psi. So to crank it up, they would have needed to drop the max down to 8psi so that it was hitting 100% duty cycle. Maybe the previous tuner was trying to maximize tank life or something.

Anyways, at least at this point I know what nozzle is in there so I can tell the new tuner though I calculated the flow needed with a Devil's Own calculator and I supposedly need around 5.3-6gph which would be somewhere between the medium and large AEM nozzles.

One last thing I don't understand is why it is set to 0.5psi start and yet the LED doesn't light up until 8psi. I checked the hose going to the controller, no rips or tears that I can tell. Not loose but not zip tied on either.

Last edited:
So I just realized something...

The start PSI dial arrow is pointing to 0.5psi but it isn't spraying until 8psi. If you look at the opposite mark on the dial it is exactly at 8psi. I wonder if the previous tuner turned the dial too much and got it off track. I'm going to try moving that mark opposite of the arrow back around to 0.5psi and see if it starts spraying earlier...if it does I will shut it down immediately, turn it back and then let the new tuner know.

UPDATE: I just talked to AEM tech support and they said not to pay attention to the arrow on the progressive controller dials. The rep said they are often off so just bottom out the dial by turning it left and then adjust from there. I bet that is my issue.

aem-progressive-knobs.jpg

Last edited:
I had read you were looking for a tuner. If want to come to FL I have a good one that is very good with Meth injection and Aem. If you are interested message me

FWIW, I'm using the largest nozzle on my BBSC setup at 9.8psi.
Its set to come on at 3psi and max at 8.

Reason that I put the largest in there is what they recommend in the instructions.....

HP Nozzle Selection
<200 130 cc/min
200-350 315 cc/min
350-600 550 cc/min

Car has run really well with this setup. But its going to Cody for clutch/tuning next week, so I'll see what his take is on the setup.

FWIW, I'm using the largest nozzle on my BBSC setup at 9.8psi.
Its set to come on at 3psi and max at 8.

Reason that I put the largest in there is what they recommend in the instructions.....

HP Nozzle Selection
<200 130 cc/min
200-350 315 cc/min
350-600 550 cc/min

Car has run really well with this setup. But its going to Cody for clutch/tuning next week, so I'll see what his take is on the setup.

When we dynoed tuned my BBSC, the largest nozzle flooded the motor, same with the middle size. We found the smallest worked the best.

When we dynoed tuned my BBSC, the largest nozzle flooded the motor, same with the middle size. We found the smallest worked the best.
My tuner also said the smallest works best. I'm only running 20% meth since my goal was cooling. I have a gauge to monitor IAT and i decided to change nozzles and put the medium in to see what it would do. I used more than twice of my mixture and it had zero effect on the cooling.

My tuner also said the smallest works best. I'm only running 20% meth since my goal was cooling. I have a gauge to monitor IAT and i decided to change nozzles and put the medium in to see what it would do. I used more than twice of my mixture and it had zero effect on the cooling.

Good to hear. Hopefully that means my small nozzle will be sufficient. I'm wanting both the cooling and octane boosting benefits (for distancing myself from detonation further rather than tuning) so I'm running the 49% meth Boost Juice stuff.

Good to hear. Hopefully that means my small nozzle will be sufficient. I'm wanting both the cooling and octane boosting benefits (for distancing myself from detonation further rather than tuning) so I'm running the 49% meth Boost Juice stuff.

I wanted the safest set up. Since there is no way to get even distribution without going direct port I went with an 80/20 mix. A 50/50 mix will make power but requires timing and Tuning to benefit. I wasn't comfortable with relying on the Meth spraying without direct port. Personally I would much rather run an extra lb of boost and use the water/Meth to cool and the 20% Meth still adds the octane for safety. The last thing I want is a blown motor. Unfortunately my posts get taken the wrong way and people disagree with my statements. As I have said before its your car and my choices are not hear say they are what I have learned personally and by very experienced people. I have a great tuner which by far is the most important part.

Maybe I'll have Cody switch it to the small nozzle then. I just put the big one based on the the AEM instructions and we tuned to it on the dyno last summer.
I wouldn't be against having the smaller nozzle if it still means I get the cooling and slight octane bump. I would go through about a 1/2 gallon in a 20 min session on the track last summer!

Maybe I'll have Cody switch it to the small nozzle then. I just put the big one based on the the AEM instructions and we tuned to it on the dyno last summer.
I wouldn't be against having the smaller nozzle if it still means I get the cooling and slight octane bump. I would go through about a 1/2 gallon in a 20 min session on the track last summer!

With the small nozzle, it will last forever. My level hasn't changed in about 200 miles. :eek:

I checked my start psi and max psi knobs. Sure enough, don't trust the arrows. Mine was set to come on at 8psi and max at 8psi. I turned the start down to 1.5psi to test and it is working properly. Will probably bump that to 2psi or so when I get to the tuner.

Only thing left for me to tackle before the tune is the damn nylon washer that goes between the meth injector body and the nozzle. I crushed the heck out of the one AEM supplied when I reassembled it earlier this week. I bought what I could at home depot because the AEM tech on the phone couldn't tell me the size. Unfortunately the closest washer at home depot is a little to small to slide on over the nozzle threads. I need to find the correct part or modify the washers I bought at the store. I'm guessing they are a propietary size or something.

Only thing left for me to tackle before the tune is the damn nylon washer that goes between the meth injector body and the nozzle. I crushed the heck out of the one AEM supplied when I reassembled it earlier this week. I bought what I could at home depot because the AEM tech on the phone couldn't tell me the size. Unfortunately the closest washer at home depot is a little to small to slide on over the nozzle threads. I need to find the correct part or modify the washers I bought at the store. I'm guessing they are a propietary size or something.

I did the same thing with the original washer. Had to use a cone bit on my Dremel to open up a replacement washer a bit.

Last edited:
I did the same thing with the original washer. Had to use the a cone bit on my Dremel to open up a replacement washer a bit.

Damn...good idea. I didn't think about the dremel. I was using my drill and couldn't do it without all sorts of issues.

I have the large nozzle and have it kicking in at 10 PSI. It runs great and offers great protection against IAT increase. Plus I dont burn through the stuff since it is only there when I really get on it. Used in addition to air/water intercooler

Back