• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Low Fuel Light Question

I have a 2005 and I am wondering if when you first turn on the ignition and all the idiot lights come on for a second, does the low fuel indicator light come on during that test?
I just had a dealer fix and never really paid attention to it before, although my low fuel indicator NEVER came on!
Thanks.

I keep trying to be brave enough to run the fuel out low enough to get the light on but haven't seen it yet. I've had it almost the same distance below "E" as the 1/4 tank line is above the "E".

The low fuel light does not self test and its a LED so it never burns out. Most people will never see it come on since they never run the tank down low enough for it to go on. I run mine down so I see it come on every time.

Thanks Brian
I was noticing that even when I was on empty, the light wasn't coming on. I took it to a dealer who replaced the sending unit. This was just last week. I live in FL. There was only one unit in the country. In California!
I am going to run the fuel down and see what happens.

The low fuel light does not self test and its a LED so it never burns out. Most people will never see it come on since they never run the tank down low enough for it to go on. I run mine down so I see it come on every time.
Your a brave man Bryan.

I had my tank filled up full, drove 411 miles (all highway) to where the needle on the fuel gauge was on the most bottom line. The low fuel light didn't come on yet. I topped off the tank up with 14.4 gallons. With 18 gallon capacity, I still had about 3.5 gallons left. That's quite a reserve and good for another 70 miles before you run dry.

The light won't come on until you get into the last 3 gallons. Usually by that point the needle is sitting on, or below, "E".

As Vytas notes, there's still plenty of range at that point (I use 60 miles as a conservative estimate, knowing that I get around 24 MPG). Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere, you're easily within reach of a gas station at that point.

And, yes, I've seen mine more than once :wink:

-Brian

The light won't come on until you get into the last 3 gallons. Usually by that point the needle is sitting on, or below, "E".

As Vytas notes, there's still plenty of range at that point (I use 60 miles as a conservative estimate, knowing that I get around 24 MPG). Unless you're out in the middle of nowhere, you're easily within reach of a gas station at that point.

And, yes, I've seen mine more than once :wink:

-Brian

Thanks for the info Brian. I haven't been brave enough to see this indicator myself.

I don't see what the big deal is over having a fuel light come on. Maybe there's something different about the later model cars? On my '92, I often wait for the low fuel light to come on. I have an idea of how big the tank is and my fuel economy so I'm not worried that the light is malfunctioning. Maybe I'm more comfortable with it because I used to drive a car without a low fuel light where the needle could go 3 needle thicknesses past the bottom of the empty tick and still have over a gallon or so in the tank. :p :p :p

I've seen my low fuel light dozens of times. I'll admit the first time was kind of nervous-making because it seemed to keep going forever before it lit.

Now I typically do wait for it to come on before I fuel up.

Indeed ,I've gone 30 miles after the light came on.

I know mine works, having tested it once with local travel. The needle indication is FAR below the empty mark when this finally occurs. More typically I only put in 5 or 10 gallons about each 125 or 250 miles on the trip ODO. But I have traveled over 460 miles on a tankful - no light came on.

I've had the car 3 years now - it's a simply wonderful machine! Bob, Prescott Valley, AZ.

You must watch this Seinfeld episode of Kramer test driving a car with very little gas in it. Never knew that running out of gas could be so much fun!

Last edited:
Back