• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Made In The USA ... or not?

Of the following products which ones are predominately Made in the USA and which ones are not? Take you guesses, I'll be posting up the answers soon.

Barbie Dolls
Louisville Slugger Bats
Rawlings Baseballs
Victor Brand Moustraps
Hot Wheels
Harley Davidson
Etch-A-Sketch
Wilson Footballs
NBA Uniforms
Slinky
Radio Flyer Wagons
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Televisions
Fiesta Ware
Cell Phones
American Flags

HHQBA.jpg

Define made, guessing many of their components are globally sourced. So I would say final assembled in the USA.

Still counts, I think, since importing and exporting have been a major component in economic infrastructure since the dawn of time. Some stuff is just not available in some areas.

We must all remind ourselves that the capitalist model has been predominately dominated by huge American corporations (yes, also Europeans but we are talking about USA products right now) ... since forever you go to most countries in latin America, Europe and other parts of the world and you will see Fords, Chevrolets, etc, as well a lot of American owned brands such Coca - Cola, McDonalds, Walmart, Microsoft, Texaco, Marlboro, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc et, ..... so yeah, a lot of things are not made in the USA yes, but ultimately the USA has some of the biggest global corporations-blood sucking- companies in the world ... just saying.

But I agree, I wish there were more products been made here, but hey, my design product is mostly made in the USA hahaha

:)

I could swear some victor mousetraps were not usa made because i specifically wondered the same thing when i was mousetrap shopping. damn american made mice have crawled and deficated in my intake air box!

Ada, Ohio is only about 15 minutes from where I live right now. I had no idea that's where Wilson's were made.

I wonder what the breakdown of other developed countries is in terms of what percent of GDP is from manufacturing?
How bad off are we relative to everyone else?

I wonder what the breakdown of other developed countries is in terms of what percent of GDP is from manufacturing?
How bad off are we relative to everyone else?

Found it for anyone else curious:

2d6o03m.jpg

HERES the real deal......

Some products say made in the USA and it actually was made in the USA
but the city called USA in

so legally it was made in the USA but not really.
truth is if it says usa you would buy it but if people knew it was made in another country and in a town or city called USA they would be shocked.

Big Corporations love this

Personally Anything made in Japan Like HONDA I love. the people treat their elderly different, the people are more educated, when a person gets to a certain age they retire and let a younger person have his/her chance at that job and then their family must take care of them.
not the Government.

Grass is always greener on the other side In this case it is. did you know you can retire in Thailand with 500 bucks a year and live in a Mansion, on the water with servants and since your property is owned by you a US resident the Govenment cant not step one foot on your property the Police can stand at the edge of your yard and watch you Murder someone and they cant touch you. its insane

Last edited:
HERES the real deal......

Some products say made in the USA and it actually was made in the USA
but the city called USA in

so legally it was made in the USA but not really.
truth is if it says usa you would buy it but if people knew it was made in another country and in a town or city called USA they would be shocked.

Big Corporations love this

Personally Anything made in Japan Like HONDA I love. the people treat their elderly different, the people are more educated, when a person gets to a certain age they retire and let a younger person have his/her chance at that job and then their family must take care of them.
not the Government.

Grass is always greener on the other side In this case it is. did you know you can retire in Thailand with 500 bucks a year and live in a Mansion, on the water with servants and since your property is owned by you a US resident the Govenment cant not step one foot on your property the Police can stand at the edge of your yard and watch you Murder someone and they cant touch you. its insane

The wiki article links to a Snopes article....

McIntosh, and it's awesome stuff too. Drop one of their amps on your foot you'll be picking up your toes in the basement.

Still counts, I think, since importing and exporting have been a major component in economic infrastructure since the dawn of time. Some stuff is just not available in some areas.

I think assembled in the USA is a better way to put it and it's not that the technology is not available...it's just cheaper and often times more reliable to get else where. Just the way the world is more and more these days. I just think your a bit delusional if you think you are 100% supporting the american economy by buying a Harley. Parts are sourced globally...probably makes them more reliable too..

I think assembled in the USA is a better way to put it and it's not that the technology is not available...it's just cheaper and often times more reliable to get else where. Just the way the world is more and more these days. I just think your a bit delusional if you think you are 100% supporting the american economy by buying a Harley. Parts are sourced globally...probably makes them more reliable too..

Sure. I wasn't under the impression that we don't import the materials. I was just saying that civilized economy has always relied on import/export. Buying "made in the USA" does support the American economy because there are American jobs (port/dock personnel, pilots, sailors etc) that rely on the importation and exportation of materials, not just "goods."

Sure. I wasn't under the impression that we don't import the materials. I was just saying that civilized economy has always relied on import/export. Buying "made in the USA" does support the American economy because there are American jobs (port/dock personnel, pilots, sailors etc) that rely on the importation and exportation of materials, not just "goods."

Of course it supports American jobs, I just stated not a 100% of the product does. Advertising is creative these days in a global economy...saying made/assembled in the USA is not uncommon to hear but when it comes down to it parts are globally sourced. I work for a global company...I have a pretty good idea how things work and where they are assembled and what the means to the final product. However we are not a consumer based item rather, large industry, and typically they are not caught up so much in the where made issue. One thing I am proud of is that much of our technology remains US based and controlled and that we would not outsource that for risk of it being pirated!

Key thing to keeping America going as an industry strong financial country, is creating and keeping technology within it's borders!

I would love to have my products entirely made in the USA, however the government regulations, and ultimately consumer has the final word. Here's my example:

USA
Time to clear red tape on a new product: 8 months
Cost of initial production run: $50,000

China
Time to clear red tape on a new product: 0 days
Cost of initial production run: $800-$1500

Although the individual components are made in China, I still do all the assembly here, frankly because the failure rate with overseas assembly is pretty high.

Face it, nobody wants to spend $100 on a keychain. lol

Limited production runs of specialized items are fully designed, made, and assembled here. If there is enough interest in a new product, then the CAD drawings go overseas for mass production.

Does everyone agree that American manufacturing has 100% to do with currency imbalances?

Everyone hears on the news how China lies about their currency, and people think 'yeah whatever'. This is the long term effect of it. The country loses manufacturing, it loses GDP, and people lose jobs.

Does everyone agree that American manufacturing has 100% to do with currency imbalances?

Everyone hears on the news how China lies about their currency, and people think 'yeah whatever'. This is the long term effect of it. The country loses manufacturing, it loses GDP, and people lose jobs.

but corporate profits are at record highs....

I wouldn't say 100%, but it's up there. There's so much government regulations on manufacturing it's cost prohibitive to do it in the states unless it relates to a product with a very high profit margin (such as medical devices).

Another thing people don't think about is how much the lawyers have destroyed this country. I can name off several corporations which have the resources and funding to manufacturer products in the states, but wont touch it due to the cost of liabilities and insurance that relates to it.

Make no mistake, by moving manufacturing overseas is just like kicking the can down the road, whether deferring environmental impact or temporary economical gain.

This country has been bleeding wealth we generated from the cotton production and manufacturing days in the past. With other countries such as India and Africa picking up the pace of service jobs, there will be nothing left here except tourism and if we are lucky agriculture.

I'm just as guilty as 98% of other US based companies pushing manufacturing overseas, but until the government and lawyers backs the f**k off, I just can't do it and still be in business.

I know I can manufacturer products here in an environmentally clean and safe fashion, but when the government (includes local governments) wants to pull an impact study that takes a minimum of 6 months, zoning, paperwork, attorneys, OSHA, employment laws, etc.... In my own study, each employee would cost my company salary + overhead is $250,000 annually, and that's on par with any other major corporation that also does large scale manufacturing "by the books".

Back