• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Mailbox limit is too small - feel like I'm on a 1982 bbs

Lud, Terabytes are cheap these days - what gives?

My guess is the mailbox size is < a few megabytes.

Come on. I have to clean out my inbox once a month losing important data and contacts.

I do'nt care about ways to "manage around it." It should be higher.

200 GB hard drive is what, $50? That comes out to about $4 / gb. I'll gladly put in $4.00 and all you have to give me is 100 mb and you can keep the same.

I believe the mailbox limit is based on number of messages, not megabytes. I think it's 500 messages, which is quite a high number, although perhaps you are a prodigious correspondent.

You can export all your private messages to other formats, so there is absolutely no reason you need to be "losing important data and contacts". The export procedure is simple and easy.

Disclaimer: I am not Lud and I have no responsibility for administering NSXprime.

I believe the mailbox limit is based on number of messages, not megabytes. I think it's 500 messages, which is quite a high number, although perhaps you are a prodigious correspondent.

You can export all your private messages to other formats, so there is absolutely no reason you need to be "losing important data and contacts". The export procedure is simple and easy.

Disclaimer: I am not Lud and I have no responsibility for administering NSXprime.

Actually the limit is 350 messages :cool: :cool:

Hmm, my limit is a bit higher. :tongue:
attachment.php

Could it be that small donations help Lud to pay for more harddrive space and in turn you get a little more storage space?

Otto

Attachments

• PMs.JPG
    PMs.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 223
hummm... does the message limit have anything to do with member time, or/and with donations ??

Lud, Terabytes are cheap these days - what gives?

200 GB hard drive is what, $50? That comes out to about $4 / gb. I'll gladly put in $4.00 and all you have to give me is 100 mb and you can keep the same.

I love it!!! Why don't you make a nice donation of $50.00 or so before complaining about Lud being cheap with running his website.

That's not really how managed web hosting works. But thanks for your generous offer.

hummm... does the message limit have anything to do with member time, or/and with donations ??
The empirical evidence in this topic says that it has to do with donations. This topic shows three different limits for three different levels of donations (remember, the donations are reflected by the title underneath the username).

If it had to do with member time, I would have the highest message limit. Obviously, I don't.

My limit....3,000,000,000,000.:tongue:

I'm silver and that apparently gets you 500 messages. I think if you donated at the platinum level you'd probably be much better off for msg space than you are now.

Hey admins, if donating increases your private message capacity you should mention that on the donation page! I just looked and it doesn't say anything about it on there. I imagine many people would donate just for that (especially if they don't really care about titles)..

That's not really how managed web hosting works. But thanks for your generous offer.

Exactly. Managed hosting charges and arm and a leg for server upgrades including additional monthly recurring costs in some cases. We were using a managed solution for mr2.com but switched to our own hardware and colocation about a year and a half ago. Our server has 4 times as much memory, 6 times the drive space (redundant RAID as well) and much better processing power and the colo charges are less than half what our managed charges were. I may be worth looking into in the future when considering upgrades.

Exactly. Managed hosting charges and arm and a leg for server upgrades including additional monthly recurring costs in some cases. We were using a managed solution for mr2.com but switched to our own hardware and colocation about a year and a half ago. Our server has 4 times as much memory, 6 times the drive space (redundant RAID as well) and much better processing power and the colo charges are less than half what our managed charges were. I may be worth looking into in the future when considering upgrades.

I plan to evaluate purchasing a box and doing colocation when my current contract is up. I am with one of the best-rated managed hosting companies in the world and I have still been disappointed with their service. I would be OK paying a premium for truly premium service, but I do not feel that is what I have been receiving.

Hey admins, if donating increases your private message capacity you should mention that on the donation page! I just looked and it doesn't say anything about it on there. I imagine many people would donate just for that (especially if they don't really care about titles)..

Some things may be set differently for different donation levels - the most visible being bold font on user names for certain folks right now - but nothing is guaranteed. I may change those settings at any time, and I do not want to be locked into "selling" people anything in exchange for donating. Donate if you wish to support the site, not to get something, because I'm not selling anything.

With all the money some of you guys put into the NSX I would think donating $50 bucks would not kill you......shame on the people who own the car and has benefited from this site for not donating.

Keep up the good work Lud and thanks for the site.

I have to clean out mine every couple days....it's no good.

Back