• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manny's High Definition Rear Projection TV $1350 OBO

Manny's High Definition Rear Projection TV $950 OBO

I am selling what is probably one of the best rear projection sets in its day. Zenith before being purchased by LG Electronics helped define our current NTSC requirements for High Definition. This set upscales everything through component video to 1920X1080I. With the largest 9inch CRTs it can actually display all the data inherent in a 1920X1080I picture, something that most CRT based rear project sets cannot do. It cost us about $7500.00 back in 2001 with a list price of $10,000. That was a lot for a set back then. However, it was without peer at the time. Blacks are well defined, excellent gray scale linearity. It will show DVDs 480I and 480P through a dedicated component video input. The input I use for high definition TV thru Direct TV sat is the VGA input. I have a special converter that takes VGA and converts to Component video without signal loss. That itself costs about $250.00. I have a Sony PS3 that plays blu ray movies and then look fantastic. A lot of the top of the line sets now say 1080P. Remember that no consumer tv available now can show 1080P at above 24 frames per second. And most of the sets will either convert via a 3:2 pull down or use a higher frequency like 120 or 72 or 48. With LCDs you get shutter or shaking, with Plasma you get a good picture but they are heavy and use a lot of juice. DLP rear projectors have other problems with their color wheels etcetera. CRT based units are still the Standard. They are just really expensive to manufacture especially 9 inch guns.

The TV was professionally calibrated by a lic ISF technician and consequently produces real looking colors. I have enclosed some of the information concerning the set. This Rear Projection set is not only beautiful but works perfectly. We are upgrading to a high priced 65" LCD and therefore do not need this unit.

I have the service manual that technicans have to purchase. I got this with the set when I purchased it new. It is a remarkable set that I would keep if we had another spot for it. My loss is truely your gain. Truely a steal of a deal. This unit is not scratched up. It looks new. I will consider offers. It is a heavy unit, probably around 300 lbs. It is on rollers so it can be moved easily.

ATSC VSB Integrated Tuner
5 Element Lens System
1920 x 1080i Resolution
9" CRTs
3D Y/C Comb Filter
1st Surface (Mylar)
Viewing Angle: 160º
Digital Convergence
EZ Sound System
Audio: 2 x 10 Watts
Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Capability
Universal Remote Control with LCD
2 Tuner PIP/POP/Split Screen
Aspect Ratio Correction
Parental Control with V-Chip
Removable Scratch Resistant Screen Protector
65'' H x 63'' W x 29'' D

Here is a review:
Rear Projection televisions are not all created equal. Certain models may feature or lack specific capabilities such as VGA inputs, auto-focus circuitry, etc. One sure thing in this arena is the use of 9" CRTs to produce the highest and sharpest resolution image of 1920x1080i based high-definition broadcasts, and the small circle of products with the big guns, Zenith enjoys the longest product life. Even after several years on the market, this very large rear projector is still spectacular even to the most discriminate viewer. The only downside to this purchase is that better ATSC decoders are expected from Zenith incorporating DirecTV, but the picture quality is simply unbeatable.

Zenith, one of the grand-daddies of HDTV industry proponents know the market intimately. Their engineers understood the requirement to display true high-definition image, and their first attempt was a overwhelming success.

Last edited:
Back