• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manual Steering Kickback

How much kickback is normal from the manual
steering on a '91? On very smooth roads, there is virtually no kickback from
the steering wheel on my NSX. When driving at speed on back roads which aren't
necessarily rough, but just not as smooth as a highway, there is a significant
amount of kickback in the steering wheel. When I hit a bump, this kickback often causes the steering wheel to shake back and forth, as if something is loose in the front end. This is particularly a problem when turning through a corner, as opposed to driving in a straight line. The problem worsens as speed increases.

When the car is parked, there's virtually no play in the steering wheel, even though the
manual allows for up to .5 centimeter. I've also inspected the steering components and they appear to have no play whatsoever. I've also had the wheels/tires balanced on the
car. The front tires are, however, worn down on the inside edge even though the rest of the tires appear to have little or no wear (a new set will be installed shortly).

Could this be an alignment or tire problem? The car has only 15K miles and was meticulously cared for. I've only owned it for a few months, so I haven't been able to drive other NSX's under the same conditions to be able to discern whether this is just how the steering is.

Just curious what your experience has been out there. Thanks in advance for your response.

There should not be any 'kickback' as you describe. I believe that tires are your issue. It wouldn't hurt to check the other front end components.... My 91 steering is very precise without 'kickback', especially to the point of actually turning the wheel as you describe.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I had no kick back on my '92 until I installed my new 17/18 wheels,what size are you running?

I was gonna ask what the offset is on the wheels you're running? With the stock wheels, there's almost no kickback, but with +38mm on the front, I do sometimes find myself having to fight the road a little to keep the wheels straight. It's always felt nice and tight, though. Not sloppy. I just hit a bump sometimes, and it the wheel will turn a little and come back, no big deal.

-Mike

Originally posted by grippgoat:
I just hit a bump sometimes, and it the wheel will turn a little and come back, no big deal.

The same thing happens to me but only during fast cornering over an uneven surface. I have the 5-spoke OEM wheels and Yokos on my '91. Island Acura says the alignment, wheel balance & car in general are in good shape, so my guess it's the suspension communicating what's going on down there.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

The kickback you describe may be what is commonly known as bump steer. It is very common in cars that have been lowered, caused by a change in the suspension geometry, which is cause by the front suspension already being well into the designed arc of travel when at rest. In effect, you are starting out with the suspension already compressed significantly and moving up from there. By design, it should begin hanging down somewhat, operate near horizontal under moderate cornering, and slightly compressed under hard cornering. One of the benefits of anti-sway bars is that they keep the geometry closer to optimum (arms near or slightly above horizontal) under hard cornering.

If you car has not been lowered (and even if it has), it may be other things. As already noted, strange wheel sizes and offsets could have an impact, but you may also have cracked rubber compliance bushings in the front suspension. I noticed significant bump steer when I lowered my ’93 by about 1.5”, and now it has also gotten sloppy. On close inspection (using a small mirror) I discovered a cracked bushing that I believe is the culprit.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

My '91 is completely stock with 15"/16" wheels and Yokohama tires. It has not been lowered.

Looks like the problem will go away with a new set of tires & an alignment. Thanks for your help.

I think I read somewhere that the rack in the rack & pinion steering on the 91-92 can actually get worn... and cause the steering wheel to shake under minor to moderate road bumps while cornering...

Anyone else see it this way?

NSXJunkie

Originally posted by sjs:
The kickback you describe may be what is commonly known as bump steer.

I think SJS is spot on (again) with a few additional notes. Besides the items noted, the caster can definately aggravate this condition if it too low. Caster should be about 7.75 but most important is that L and R be exactly the same. If caster is too low, say- under 6 or 6.5, bump steer will be worsened.
Also, the steering rack preload is adjustable, to compensate for wear in the rack bushings. If the wear gets excessive, so does the bump steer, but the good news is it is very easuily adjustable and you do not need the special tool listed in the service manual so don't let that scare you. If you don't have a service manual, private me for assistance.

Cheers, Straight Ahead,
Mark Basch,

Back