• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manually recliner the power seat?

My passenger seat failure! It can't move forward and backward and I can't hear the motor sound. It can still move the back support so I supporse the motor is still working?

Can you manually move the seat forware and backward? I am thinking about replace the seat but how can you unbolt it when you can't move it backward?

Originally posted by ac011:
I guess the motor for the forward and backward is borken. How can you manually move the seat backward so I can remove the seat?

I doubt this is a good way to go and I don't know how to "force" the motor. I would get or borrow a good set of wratcheting box end metric wrenches and try to remove the rear bolts from the front or rear. That really sucks.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

ac011,

Each motor has it's OWN fuse. TWO per seat (recliner and position). I suggest looking in the service manual on page 23-270 through 23-274 and check the fuse first. Then all the electrical connections.

If the seat has gotten mechanically jammed for some reason(coin perhaps?) the motor current could blow the fuse for sure.

I will say I have seen the recliner motor go bad and have replaced two in separate cars, a 1991 and a 1994, so they do go bad.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 27 March 2003).]

Here's my procedure for fixing this:

1. Call and make an appointment at your dealer or, if you're in San Francisco, at Don's Hilltop.

2. Bring the car in.

3. Pick it up after they have fixed it.

biggrin.gif

Well, I have no doubt that Ken's advise will work! However I just cannot give up so easily. Try page 20-38 of the service manual, you will see there is a cable in a sheath that runs from right to left under the front of the seat. IF you can get to it, remove it. Use a small screwdriver manually to turn each side and slowly move the seat back until you have clearance to remove the front two bolts. Make sure you have removed the rear bolts first
smile.gif

HTH,
LarryB

I talked to Don at Hilltop today, he told me he don't have much experience fixing the NSX seat motor and have no idea how long it will take to fix it. I will need to leave the car in his shop for few hours just to inspect the seat. If it's just a bad motor, I will still need to replace it anyway? so why waste time/money to inspect the seat?

I will follow what Larry said and try to manually move the seat back.....

Will keep you guys updated.

Larry helps another one of us!

Thanks for being such a great and consistent source of knowledge. We all owe you a beer or two for all of us want to be shade tree mechanics!

smile.gif

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Nick,

Thank you for your comments, glad to help.

ac011,

I have replaced the recliner motor in about 2 hours. For this back you actually have to peel all the leather off the seat to get to the motor at the bottom of the seat back. For the bottom seat position motor I think it will be easier since the motor I recall is just bolted to the seat bottom.

Let me know if you have any questions.

HTH,
LarryB

ac011 said:
I talked to Don at Hilltop today, he told me he don't have much experience fixing the NSX seat motor and have no idea how long it will take to fix it. I will need to leave the car in his shop for few hours just to inspect the seat. If it's just a bad motor, I will still need to replace it anyway? so why waste time/money to inspect the seat?

I will follow what Larry said and try to manually move the seat back.....

Will keep you guys updated.

Don is very honest, that he admitted he didn't have much experience with the seat.

You have nothing to loose, as Don don't charge you any money to inspect it. He will only charge you if he can fix it.

Recliner Fix Guide

My passenger seat failure! It can't move forward and backward and I can't hear the motor sound. It can still move the back support so I supporse the motor is still working?

Can you manually move the seat forware and backward? I am thinking about replace the seat but how can you unbolt it when you can't move it backward?

Hi, I searched on Google and YouTube and found some helpful tips for you.

https://www.wikihow.com/Adjust-a-Recliner-Chair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaGIuJMMFs
http://www.chairsadvisor.com/4-best-ways-to-adjust-recliner-chair/
https://www.hunker.com/13403870/how-to-easily-remove-a-recliners-back

Back