• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Market Value?

20150706_194834(0).jpg
Hey, fellow Prime-ers. Before I listed my baby up for sale, just wanted to get an idea of what y'all think the market would bear.

1996 NSX-T (US import)
115K miles
-Has been garaged for the last 4 years straight and only started a handful of times since
-Timing belt and water pump done by Octane Motors, and presumably given the thumbs-up by Rob as he didn't mention any serious issues
-Has been repainted on the right side, but no structural damage in the incident (according to previous owner). Have receipts to show repair.
-super clean
-comes with everything shown

Dont have time to deal with countless tire-kickers and low-ballers, so looking to set a firm price. Also not in a HUGE pinch to sell it, so hoping to get a decent price from a seller's perspective. Any thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:
I have found Haggerty to be a pretty decent starting point for valuations with most cars being between a Condition 2 and Condition 3. They have your car ranging between $52,600 (2) - $45,800 (3) depending on how you would judge the condition and that is a pretty good price point to work with in my opinion. I don't know if the Canadian market is all that different from the US market, but I suspect it is close.

Either way, hope you and the future buyer come to a happy conclusion.

I have found Haggerty to be a pretty decent starting point for valuations with most cars being between a Condition 2 and Condition 3. They have your car ranging between $52,600 (2) - $45,800 (3) depending on how you would judge the condition and that is a pretty good price point to work with in my opinion. I don't know if the Canadian market is all that different from the US market, but I suspect it is close.

Either way, hope you and the future buyer come to a happy conclusion.

Hey thanks, Blue. Unfortunately, it will never really be a mutually happy conclusion since I really don't want to sell it for any amount, lol. The prices quoted... are they in USD?

yep - USD

Whoa... works out to about $66K in CAD for a 2.... I gotta research clearer definitions of the grades. Pretty sure I won't be able to get that here in Canada; we're typically cheaper here in the great white North. We get a lot of people talking a big game at first, but few able/willing to pull the trigger. Oh well, I guess we'll see. Thanks again!

It is unlikely that your car is a Condition 2 with the miles and repaint to be perfectly honest - but that doesn't mean you can set your asking price there especially since you are not in a hurry to sell. If you really want to move the car though, I would suggest keeping the price below $50k USD.

It is unlikely that your car is a Condition 2 with the miles and repaint to be perfectly honest - but that doesn't mean you can set your asking price there especially since you are not in a hurry to sell. If you really want to move the car though, I would suggest keeping the price below $50k USD.

Understood. Thanks again, Blue; greatly appreciated. Also noticed you have the same color combo! Tell me, does the 3.2L have the same signature engine vibration just above idle?

Tell me, does the 3.2L have the same signature engine vibration just above idle?
Rough vibration at 1800rpm has nothing to do with the displacement of the engine, but rather the 90deg configuration of the block. So - to answer your question - yes.

Rough vibration at 1800rpm has nothing to do with the displacement of the engine, but rather the 90deg configuration of the block. So - to answer your question - yes.

I was hoping they did a bit of whatever they did to the NSX-R engine to smooth it out... perhaps by adding weight strategically to the bottoms of the connecting rods? Or maybe its a completely different engine design in the R...

- - - Updated - - -

oh yeah, here's the snippet from the wikipedía article. I remember thinking how it was a testament to how well built the engines were that they could reach high kms despite the "inertial imbalance":

"The 3.2L DOHC V6 engine received special attention as well. Each NSX-R engine was hand assembled by a skilled technician using techniques normally reserved for racing programs. Components of the rotating assembly (pistons, rods and crank) were precision weighed and matched so that all components fell within a very small tolerance of weight differential. Then, the entire rotating assembly was balanced to a level of accuracy ten times that of a typical NSX engine. This balancing and blueprinting process significantly reduced parasitic loss of power due to inertial imbalance, resulting in a more powerful, free-revving powerplant with excellent throttle response

I was hoping they did a bit of whatever they did to the NSX-R engine to smooth it out... perhaps by adding weight strategically to the bottoms of the connecting rods? Or maybe its a completely different engine design in the R...

I think we'll find that the vibration in our 90 degree V6 is a by-product of it's design and the imbalance is built in.
My venerable 3 liter has a vibration at 1500, 3000, 4500 and so on.
The type-r would be smoother because of the more detailed internal component balancing but would still have the design imbalance vibration of a 90 degree V6

Back