• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

McLaren owned NSX

My RHD 91 NSX Red/Black has McLaren as its first owner. I bought it from the UK and the car is now in Hong Kong.

Wiki shows that the McLaren F1 was launched in 1992 and therefore my car must have been used as a guinea pig and taken apart for tests.

"Four years after the McLaren's costly development, the first car made its official debut at the 1992 Monaco F1 week where McLaren could finally reveal to world what they had been doing.

The car runs well at 150k miles so they must have done a good job putting it back together. I wonder how many NSX has McLaren bought . Maybe this one was used by Gordon Murray as daily transport and was never taken apart. Hope someone knows more.

IMG_0728.jpg

Last edited:
I think it would be interesting to find out the history of this car if it is indeed once owned by McLaren. I do not have definite proof and that's why I come here to share my findings and hopefully our fellow owners can help out. I also like to know if they had really strip out the car for tests and put it back together ( I don't mind as the car drives superbly nowadays ).

Both the car and myself are in Hong Kong.

I also found this in the document pack.

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

I will send an email to the dealer and see if they are willing to share past records. I will even try to send an email/mail to McLaren. It will be great if someone has the inside track as to who to talk to at McLaren. Any has direct access to Gordon Murray ? Maybe he is a prime member reading this post... haha

Last edited:
surreal!

Awesome find. Over the years, Gordon Murray's been photographed in various NSX'es (assumed they were personal vehicles). Likewise for other McLaren Formula One & McLaren Automotive staff. No idea what colours/models they were, but here's some insight on as to Murray's NSX.

I sent a PM to "SimonPrelude" and ask him to join the thread and share his knowledge on the Gordon car owned by the nsxgb member.

Take a look at all the nuts and bolts on the car to see if they have never been removed. Look at the fender, hood, and panel bolts. They should be seamlessly painted with the rest of the body. If it shows markings or cracked paint on or around the bolts, chance are its been worked on.

Makes one wonder if either Senna or Berger ever drove the car? Not matter what, that is really cool info to know about the car!

No record from the dealership as they have long changed into a Nissan dealer. Can't find an email address from the McLaren website either.

Gordon Murray is the McLaren F1 designer, not George. :wink:

If I remember correctly, the dealer would fill in the owner information at the time of purchase, so that stamped service book looks genuine to me. The phone number checks out too - it was the number of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd. at that address on the business park. This was where the GP cars and Mclaren F1's were designed and built at that time. One of the prototypes for the F1 road car was called Albert, as the road going past there is called Albert Drive.

I'll see what I can find out about your car - I used to live in that area at that time, and saw fewer NSX than McLaren F1's.......

Last edited:
Congratulations!
It seems you have a (or the) "McLaren" NSX, those docs look more than genuine. This link probably has been on Prime in lots of places but I have never seen the article before, just bits of it.

Its brilliant about the design of what is consider the best car ever.

Its from a Honda Sports Car Web page and the link was on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1

Ref #4 leads to https://docs.google.com/View?docid=dggtsppm_6cgtnscht
which details what appears to be your car.

Good luck with your investigations.

Congratulations!
It seems you have a (or the) "McLaren" NSX, those docs look more than genuine. This link probably has been on Prime in lots of places but I have never seen the article before, just bits of it.

Its brilliant about the design of what is consider the best car ever.

Its from a Honda Sports Car Web page and the link was on Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaren_F1

Ref #4 leads to https://docs.google.com/View?docid=dggtsppm_6cgtnscht
which details what appears to be your car.

Good luck with your investigations.

Woohoo, that's my Google doc! :biggrin:

Glen,

Well done on the google doc, like I said I had not seen it before and I think it is probably the most impressive article on the NSX ever!

We had a funny story here that a guy had sold his favorite car, the NSX, I said why would you selll your favorite car??

Answer - To buy an even more favorite !

Me.....that could only be one car...the F1 Mclaren.

Answer.....Yep....he got the only one in Australia.

Anyway someone got a really nice NSX out of the deal.

I'm sure that I have a photo of Gordon Murray with his NSX somewhere - just can't seem to find it right now. I'm sure that I saw him in Woking in the early 90's in his (now your) red NSX, and driving a McLaren F1 in town the next day.

Your car stayed pretty local to Woking for it's first 5+ years - the dealership is just 9 miles north of McLaren's (then) HQ, and the next owner lived just 7 miles south of there - perhaps he is/was a McLaren employee???

Interestingly, there is a Honda dealership just 2 miles from the current McLaren HQ - previously, a Rover franchise was located there......

Back