• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Mileage vs. Age

Hi All,

Just starting to do my research here... What is the general consensus on the mileage vs. age topic?

It's a little counter-intuitive, but what I am currently comparing is a '94 with 25k mi vs a '99 with '82k mi! So the question is: should I go for an older car with lower mileageor a newer car with higher mileage?

Thanks for any input.

Mileage aside, the '99 and '94 are different. One has the 3.2L 290hp 6sp, the other 3.0L 270 5 spd. You have to factor that as well.

Well, I wasn't going to get into that for matters of simplicity... but since you brought it up... :wink:

The FAQ seems to basically state there were two major years for changes: 1995 and 1997. But what does that *really* translate to in terms of price or performance/safety??

gfunk808 said:
Well, I wasn't going to get into that for matters of simplicity... but since you brought it up... :wink:

The FAQ seems to basically state there were two major years for changes: 1995 and 1997. But what does that *really* translate to in terms of price or performance/safety??

I wouldn't say 95 is significant change, unless you call the introduction of the NSX-T a change.

But in 97 there are alot of changes:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

Mileage does not seem to hurt the NSX (given proper servicing) so I would (prices being the same) go with the newer 3.2 car. I have owned both, and I would have a hard time going back to a 91-93. I have gotten used to (and spoiled by) the engine, tranny, targa roof and power steering. For some the targa and power steering are negatives, but for me they are big pluses, since I do not track the car.

RyRy210 said:
I wouldn't say 95 is significant change, unless you call the introduction of the NSX-T a change.

But in 97 there are alot of changes:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

Hmm, some of these seem pretty big to me:

Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics
Changed gearing of 2nd gear in Manual Transmission
Modified airflow to brakes to improve cooling
Throttle-By-Wire
Limited Slip Differential Changes on manual transmission cars. Went from Torque Control Ddifferential to a Torque Reactive Differential - when combined with Throttle-By-Wire, increases speeds out of a corner by 10%. Automatic cars keep old differential.
Bumper reinforcements were changed to extruded aluminum instead of the stamped steel
Approx. 100 lbs heaver than 1991/1992 models due to reinforcements for targa top, including: The base of the B pillar where it joins the rocker panel, larger rear bulkhead crossbar, thicker trunk leading edge panel, a redesigned and thicker-walled rear roof section, a redesigned front roof rail section, additional rib in the center rear bulkhead section, a completely redesigned and thicker upper A-pillar. There's also a redesigned and thicker upper dashboard cross member and a redesigned front lower floor section. The extruded aluminum side sills were extensively reinforced - wall thickness of the vertical center web of the 5-sided extrusion went from 2mm to 6mm.

It really boils down to Coupe or T-top?
91-94 coupe, 95-96 T top 3.0
97- T top 3.2 6spd.

I wanted a coupe, but thats just me....... :biggrin:

But remember if you wanted (and were patient, since few exist) you could get a 97+ Coupe or a 99 Zanardi coupe. One thing I think is overlooked is that a Targa does not give much up in the way of rigidity to a 91-94 coupe when the top is on.

My opinion is it depends on the price of that 99 with 82K miles. I own a 92 with 87K miles so I'm not worried about higher miles at all, but that 99 better be priced significantly lower than average miles 99 for it to be worth it to me. I myself want a 97+ specifically for the 6-Speed and 3.2 motor even if I prefer the coupes. However, depending on the price, I would probably spend a little more for a lower miles 97 instead. I think this question is just too hard to answer without knowing what the selling price is of the 99 with 82K miles.

Back