• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

modifying the dash for aftermarket stereo

I remember seeing some posts a while back with recommendation on the cheapest/best way to modify the dash for an aftermarket radio. Can you please post your suggestions?

There is a local stereo place that says they will do it, but they have a reputation for charging way to much. They charged $600 to make the speaker box on the floor for my sub.

You can upgrade the sound by swapping the amps and speakers while leaving the stock head unit. Not only is it easier not to deal with the dash, but you'll get more for your money.

Or, you can leave it stock, and you'll get even more for your money (by not spending any).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 20 January 2002).]

I've already upgraded just about everything. The only thing I have leaft is the head unit. I have a 6" screen and a DVD player in the truck but it sucks. I want a radio and and I want it to start were it left off when I turn the car off :)

Ok, so anyone who HAS modified the dahs have recommendations? Looking back through the posts it look slike $500 seems average. Who should do it? A car stereo plce or a plasitics place?

Mike

I think you're going to find that anyone who actually replaced the dash unit spent a lot more money than that to do so, and that the number who have done that is VERY small (don't be surprised if you don't get many responses here). Of course, these two factors are related to each other.

While looking for my new car I spotted a 91 with an aftermarket stereo installed. It looked terrible. The DIN size chassis of the radio hangs out from the sides.

It looked like a kit of some sort.

Check it out here:
http://www.nwicars.com/images/cars/01-122aconsole.jpg

Nice cell phone too!

Can someone please posts of a GOOD installation :) In particular, a double DIN install. I am looking at several options here. If I were to get an already cut or had someone cut a double din hole, how would I secure the units in? Has anyone already come up with a good solution.

Right now I am thinking about the double DIN hole Idea and gettin a CD/MP3 head unit with a graphic EQ below it just to look cool :)

Thanks,
Michael

I think that looks terrible. Look at how that fabricated black filler piece directly under the CD slot doesn't match the surrounding carbon fibre of the rest of the dash. What in the world were they thinking?

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 22 January 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think that looks terrible.

What impresses me is how artfully it is filled and blended, and how perfectly the head unit fits.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
Hold off on cutting any dash parts for just a bit, trust me on this one ;-)

-- Chris

WOOHOO! Music to my ears... Oh im soo excited!

Chris's (Science of Speed) nav system looks like it came that way from the factory - terrific looking installation. I can only hope what he's hinting at (apparently for an aftermarket stereo head unit of some sort) looks half as good as his nav system.

Hi guys my name is Craig Hardy. I have been a professional installer for the past 8 years. I fabricated this dash panel for a customer back in 1998 using fiberglass and resin then airbrushing the whole panel to match the factory titanium color. I charged him $500 which is reasonable for a 2 day job. If anyone is interested please give me an email at [email protected]. If I get enough responses I could definately drop the price. Here is a picture of the installation.
http://www.sromagazine.com/craig/nsxstereo.jpg

Thought I should add this, I could also take a mold of the first panel I do and from that mold produce complete dash panels out of fiberglass. This would allow you to swap out your factory dash panel without modifying it, I could also sell these panels for a fraction of the price of modifying your factory piece. Let me know if you guys are interested.
[email protected]

Originally posted by craigh:
Thought I should add this, I could also take a mold of the first panel I do and from that mold produce complete dash panels out of fiberglass.
Or carbon fiber

This would allow you to swap out your factory dash panel without modifying it, I could also sell these panels for a fraction of the price of modifying your factory piece.
For what the factory charges, you can probably make these in CF (not an overlay, but the actual panels themselves).

I would be all over a full replacement console in fiberglass or carbon fiber for any price about $500 or less. If you need pre-orders, let me know.

It might even be nice to have an optional version that replaces the ash tray area with flat material, for the mounting of extra gauges, switches, whatever the heart desires.

-Mike

[This message has been edited by grippgoat (edited 23 January 2002).]

Back