• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

More lessons learned

I just posted in the car-history forum, but thought I would share here too.

I totaled my car at an HPDE event on May 17 by dropping two wheels on track out, inducing a spin out of the highest-speed corner at Summit Point Shenandoah. Neither my instructor nor I was harmed (harness and HANS for me).

For those of you entering this hobby like me, listen to Bob: buy track insurance. I was fortunate that Liberty Mutual agreed this was not an event for racing or preparing to race and covered the loss, but I would have felt much better with separate coverage.

And remember, the consequences are real. Obviously this is nothing like the instructor death at Summit Point Jefferson last weekend but it was far from how I imagined things might happen.

This is the corner, running anticlockwise. As I realized the car was leaving the track, I remember thinking what I had heard many times in class: do not, under any circumstance, try to turn the car back onto the track. As I straightened the wheel, the tires skipped the curb and hit the wet grass, and the back end went fast. Had I realized it sooner or corrected faster or lifted earlier, I have to imagine things might be different. But that portion of the track is very narrow and once the car was sideways, the result was inevitable, at least for me.

So I have learned many things, the hard way. While I am planning to buy another NSX, I do not plan to track it until my skills are far down the road. And then I will probably not drive it at 10/10ths of my skill. This was my fourth weekend tracking, which could never be construed as much experience. I have received good feedback from my instructors and was running in the intermediate group at all the events I did this spring. I was getting reasonably good at controlling the car when it got out of shape and instinctively balancing the weight to get the car to do what I wanted. I could explore the limits of trail braking on corner entry, which although it generally resulted in me over slowing, allowed me to get the rotation I needed. But for some reason I had never viewed track out with nearly the significance that it deserved. Since the car was stock, it generally didn't take the most delicate touch to maintain its composure on track out, but obviously I needed more experience/awareness balancing the push with the throttle.

I do plan to continue tracking when finances allow for a dedicated track car. I had actually bought an open trailer the night before this incident for that very reason. While a Miata is a massive step down from an NSX, the low cost and low speed actually seems like a good thing for what I'm trying to do. I am interested in getting absolutely everything possible out of the car. When I have the skills to do that consistently and accommodate disturbances (traffic, track conditions, car condition) then I will feel better about moving to faster cars. I don't know if you are familiar with Rob Wilson, but he is a driving coach to a number of race drivers including a handful on the current F1 grid. He coaches in rental cars on an airstrip (swapping tires I believe). I have the good fortune of spending a couple days with Rob in the fall, which I am looking forward to tremendously. It strikes me that if he believes in developing skills in an everyday car, then I should be able to embrace the same.

Of course, one of the reasons I am planning to buy another NSX is because of the Prime community. Because of that, I welcome any comments or advice on anything.

-Jason

I responded to your other post but can provide a little more detail here.

I did what you are contemplating. I retired my street Miata and my NSX from track duty and obtained a former Spec Miata for tracking. My son is my chief mechanic (and manages to be just "that much" faster than me), and has done a wonderful job with it. I can say that between the performance mods we have on the Miata (1990, full cage, suspension, 2001 VVT motor, Euro-spec "flat top" intake, Racing Beat header, Megasquirt ECU, others, 145 RWHP), and my tentativeness on the track when I was in the NSX, I turn laps in the Miata much faster than I did with my stock NSX. And since it's so controllable at the limit, and not aluminum (read: obscenely expensive if damaged), I am much more relaxed in the car and have SO much more fun in it. Don't get me wrong the NSX is fun but I always had that nagging feeling keeping me from really pushing it.

Either way, sorry to hear about your incident. Hope you find another NSX to enjoy, and if you do go looking for a Miata, know that there are plenty of them, track-ready, out there for sale.

God that SUCKS.

Seems more NSX have been involved in track incidents in this past month than in the past two years combined. Very fortunately you guys were both unharmed. Its a shitty situation but ultimately cars are replaceable and you have the right attitude about things going forward. This is the reason my NSX is in semi-retirement and Im going full blown building another dedicated track car. Best of luck with everything going forward, keep us posted.

BTW how much was the buy back option on the wrecked chassis from your insurance? Don't answer if you don't want too, but i'm very curious.

Best

Will

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouragement. It bums me out that I will have to take some time away from tracking but I think getting another NSX to enjoy will be worth it.

The buy back was surprisingly low and probably worth it even without a usable frame, engine block, or transmission case. Just over $4k. But I don't have the time for that and needed to move on. And I didn't want further delay. It will be interesting to see what someone decides it's worth on copart. I'm hoping I can see the final sale price.

Sorry to hear it, I saw your earlier post too. Its a difficult position to be in: here you have one of the most amazing sports cars ever built, it begs you to drive harder and push a little bit more but you don't want to do that on the street. Personally its a boring affair to drive my NSX around town, I'm always waiting for the next track event because, that's the type of driving experience I want in an NSX. It seems SO many NSX owners are content to let them sit, all polished up, some with speed parts and nice wheels, some stock, and just cruise or go to car meets for a little show off time. That's all fine with me, but, it doesn't excite me at all and personally feels like a bit of a waste of such a world class sports car. I'm sure you can relate. I only wish you had more seat time in somebody elses car, ie. a racing school, before you hit the track in your NSX.

If I think back on it, I was 23 when I did my first HPDE, the car: a 94 3000GT VR4 - yes a big heavy GT car, but with its AWD, 4WS, and in just about bone stock condition (Eibach springs and 275 tires at all 4 corners) it was the perfect car for a newbie to push hard and over drive here and there as the only consequence was wholesale understeer which could easily be remedied with abrupt lift-throttle jabs just past the apex. With good instruction, by the end of the day, I was rotating the car on-throttle at the apex using the twin turbos as early as I could and actually sliding on the exit of a few corners. I did another one with PCA and had the good fortune of being paired up with a very seasoned instructor who took me out in his 968 on...all seasons - really opened my eyes riding with him. He signed off on me before the end of the day and I went about going faster and faster loving every corner and using what I had learned, all the while in a car that a monkey could drive fast with little to no consequences compared to a proper MR like an NSX. If I would have gone out in my NSX back then, who knows if it would have made it through the first day of that HPDE. Passing guys in faster CARS was fun in HPDE, but was I passing faster DRIVERS?

I decided the only way to find out was to go to racing school and I think that would be my advice to you my friend. Spend the money on a 5 day if you can - they don't just drop you into a Formula Ford the first day, you get a solid day of car control in a road car - at least that was my experience, and then you get to go out and start pushing in someone elses car. A 130hp Formula car that weighs 800lb.s on street tires is a blast and a great way to build your car control skills in a mid engine car - all the emphasis is on the driver as they are strictly momentum cars, you HAVE to get it right from the beginning of the corner if you want to be fastest.

With NSX values increasing now, less and less people are going to track them, and sometimes during the course of an event weekend I look around at the budget race cars that cost a third of a decent 91 NSX and think about just parking her. I have made some friends in the last few years of track events and watch them going wheel to wheel at NASA events in PTE Miata's and, really, it does look more fun doesn't it? I can't fault you for buying a built spec Miata or 944, or E30 for that matter - they are all cheap fun that you can let go pretty easily if you have an off-track event. Let us know what you do and sorry to see another NSX retired for good.

Back