• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

MoTeC EMS/ECU V.S. NSX

Hi everyone,

I’m thinking to upgrade my 93’s NSX ECU to Motec’s EMS/ECU, probably, with Motec M800. However, I wonder whether does it really compatible with NSX… does anyone of you have any experiences with Motec EMS/ECU installed on NSX? Well, any model of Motec EMS/ECU will do, as long as it has been installed on NSX.

Please kindly and don’t hesitate to share me with your experiences. Because, I really need to know before I made any decision.

1) Also, I have a couple of doubts regarding Motec EMS/ECU. If say, I would like to install one onto my NSX, is there any necessary to do wire cutting with original ECU wire harness, so that it can be connected with Motec’s ECU? It is because, from what I have seen from the picture, the connector of Motec is totally different comaping to NSX’s one. OR, Motec will supply me with a adaptor, which I do not need to do wire cutting at all?

2) As we all know that NSX’s supercomputer is enable us to do troubleshooting & it also has a wonderful self diagnostic features, which it can do self checking on itself for error and then, telling the owner of what the problem is by indicating error codes, when we jumped the troubleshooting jumper. But, what if when I have Motec EMS/ECU installed, can I still use the troubleshooting jumper to read trouble/error code?

Laslty, I would like to thanks everyone of you who replies my thread, especially those who contributes me with your knowledge and experiences with Motec and NSX. All info are invaluable. I’m looking forward to read you guys soon.

Many thanks,
Caesar

I would contact Mike at Factor X Engineering about your Motec questions. He is a contributor to the Forced induction section of this forum. Search on the web for his website. His phone number is702-208-6790.

Good Luck,

Rod

for a 93 wouldnt AEM be a much better option ? You don't need the TBW that would necessitate the large investment for the motec. I was told on another post that the motec needs a custom harness for the nsx which costs approx. $3000 alone!!! :eek: plus the $3500 for the m800 I would think you would be better off with an AEM for $1500 FWIW

WOODY said:
for a 93 wouldnt AEM be a much better option ? You don't need the TBW that would necessitate the large investment for the motec. I was told on another post that the motec needs a custom harness for the nsx which costs approx. $3000 alone!!! :eek: plus the $3500 for the m800 I would think you would be better off with an AEM for $1500 FWIW

Hi Woody~

Thanks for your advice :wink: Yeah, I'am actually still thinking about it...
Yeah, though my current NSX is a 93... but soon, my engine will be C35B. Which is 3500L. Well, I actually sent my engine to Japan for overhaul and GT tuned. I wonder the ECU - AEM as you have mentioned above, will really be able to coupe up with my new engine...

Actually, I'm quite hesitate to use Motec, too. I just dun like it, I don't know why... Probably I'm doubting its compatibility with NSX. The hassle of rewiring is also my biggest concern (since the connector are not the same).

Anyway, I will do research on AEM, later. Hopefully that will be my second option for Motec ;)

Caesar,

I haven't been on this board in awhile but it's good to see someone doing something extra for their NSX's brain.

I haven't had the chance to update my web site yet but my NSX is currently running fully on my Motec M800. It's setup so that it uses wideband sensors all the time and it drives like a regular car. Best of all I typically get 30mpg on the highway. I found enough output on the M800 to do VTEC, intake butterfly, 2 stage fuel pump and the idle valve. All injectors and ignitors are sequentially driven.

The car was tuned on dyno with completed factory intake and exhaust so it produced a little bit more power than the factory computer. As long as you have access to a dyno, all this can be done at-home (or in-house).

I made a harness adapter that will probably cost only $200. It connects the M800 directly to the factory harness where the factory computer used to be. Replaced the factory sensors with Bosch wideband sensors ($30 each) and tuned the engine on the dyno myself. The fuel table was mapped by going through the efficiency/rpm range 10%/1000rpm at a time all the way to 100%/8000rpm.

The one thing that's interesting is the awesome sound of the engine when holding it at full throttle while the dyno is forcing it to stay at 8000rpm for a full 10 seconds.

In any case, let me know if you need any help. I will see if I can get to my web site sooner than later.

Eddy

Back