• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mounting Multiple Shock Sensors & a proximity sensor

I'm installing a new 2 way pager alarm in my nsx. I wanted to know where you guys mount your shock sensors and proximity sensors.

I was planning on having a shock sensor
in the front and rear of the car.
1 on each door.

Hi! I've installed both of those on a previous car, and had to play a bit with the proximity sensor to get it right... Connect it and run it loose with it's wires and see what kind of results you get. Generally speaking it should go as near as possible near the center of the car, but for the best results you'll have to test it in various locations and angles in the NSX to see what works, then adjust the sensitivity.

Shock sensor: should be on something as rigid as possible. I'd avoid the door simply because it's a pain to run wires into it if you don't have to. Again, if it has a sensitivity adjustment, you can clamp it somewhere or hold it tight against the test surface while someone else activates your alarm, then kicks the tires, slaps a window, etc. to see what works best for you.

Don in Heidelberg

thanks. I wasn't going to mount them (shock sensors) inside the door but right behind the door. The panel thats almost touching the side of the seat.

Good morning!

On the panel itself or underneath? I would suggest you mount it sturdily and directly to the bulkhead if that's where you're going to put them... Putting them on the panel would reduce the transmission of vibrations from the point of impact to the sensor, since the panel is less rigid than the body structure of the car and would tend to dampen any incoming vibrations...

Since you have two you might want to consider one inside on the bulkhead and one up front, under the hood somewhere. That way you'd be doubling your impact coverage...

Let me know how it goes! By the way, what kind of alarm did you get?

Don

Hi,

No I wasn't going to mount them on the plastic - that would be like a cushion, as you said reducing the transmission of vibration. Theres a good point I found right on the metal part of the body behind the panel.

I actually have a box of 10 dual stage shock sensors. My alarm has one shock sensor. I plan on using diodes and tapping maybe 4 extra sensors.

I got a UNGO Clarion 2 way LCD alarm system, I've heard some good things and bad things about this unit but I'm willing to give it a try. These new 2 way LCD alarms are neat!

Do you know of any critical circuit points where I can wire the starter kill wire to?

thanks.

Damn! 10 shock sensors?? For this alarm, LCD stands for what?

Does it have a status display or something? Sounds cool!

No, I don't, not off the top of my head... The service manual online on the site has some really good schematics of the wiring in the "Electrical" section, though, you should be able to identify a good one to interrupt, right down to the conduit number and the wire color from those.

dd

Back