• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Moving to Baltimore Area...any info?

I just took a promotion and was asked to relocate from Philadelphia to the Baltimore area. I have only been there a handful of times, but that was over 15 years ago, so I have no knowledge of the area. The next couple of months we will be taking weekend trips to check out the area. We wont have to relocate until summer time.

My office is now in Columbia, MD and my girl would be traveling to work in the western part of Baltimore as her territory. We are looking for a common middle ground to ease both of our commutes.

The plan is to rent a place for the first year to get a feel for the area before we decide to purchase. A nice townhouse with access to area attractions would be ideal. Any advise on where we should start looking???

Also down the road we have been looking at new constructions in the Severna park and Pasadena areas. Can't tell much about the area online, how do these places look?

Thanks for any input!

If you want to get a tour of the area, my wife and I could drive you around and show you some of the nicer areas to live. I live about 30 minutes from Columbia in Westminster and like it a lot there. It is still very rural and a good place for kids to grow up (even though we don't have any) Send me an email and I will help you out. [email protected]

Rob

I don't think he is saying he is moving to the city, that is a warzone, but the suburbs are quite nice.

Uncle used to live there back in the late 70's and early 80's. I just know it gets cold over there, thats about it. He has since moved to Ohio, wether or not thats an improvement depends on who you ask. :biggrin:

I grew up in Columbia, MD. It's one of those yuppy planned communities. It used to be rural about 20 years ago, but got built up a a bit in the 90's. It's a nice place to raise a family. But lacks a lot of character that bigger cities have. It's a prime location to travel to Baltimore or DC though. If I were to move back to the Baltimore area, I'd probably move to the Canton area of the city. Lot's of nightlife and things to do, right on the water across from the Harbor. If you're looking to rent, there are some really nice luxury lofts on the water.

I always thought my first post on Prime would be something cool or imaginative, or saying that "I got my NSX!" or something like that... oh well.

I live in Pasadena and can answer any questions you have about it...

-Shawn

Federal Hill is a nice downtown spot, in addition to Canton as previously mentioned.

I lived there for over half a year. As others have said, get a gun and a pit.

Nice places outside of Baltimore:

Ellicott (sp) city
Rockville, MD (close to DC)

Inside Baltimore:
There is an apt complex right on the harbor. Henderson's Wharf. I stayed there, and it was a relatively safe place, plus it is in Fells Point which is a little cozy tourist area. Plus, if you get shot, Johns Hopkins is only 1-2 mi away. I mean, there are nice places, but you just have to be prepared to pay the money.

There was another apt building on North Charles St. I believe the addy was 405 or 408 N. Charles. That was pretty nice.

Do not stray into the areas where the area looks bad. If it looks bad, chances are it is bad. You haven't seen the ghetto (literally) or project housing until you've seen it on the East Coast.

Go to one of the crab houses where they spread newspaper and wooden mallets on the table. Don't eat for a day, wear stretchy pants and order them Chesapeake crabs by the dozen. Yum! One of my most fondest memories of living back east.

Lived there till I was 25. If it wasn't for my family still living there, I'll never go back. Lucky that they even get a visit out of me. Baltimore went from sugar to shit in about a decade. Canton and Fells Point is nice (college atmosphere due to JHU) but damn, turn a corner and you better have an IBA (improved body armor) on because you entered a place that is both Trikrit and Beriut combined. Like others mention before, head between Baltimore and D.C. (far much nicer) or if you can't afford to live there head up to the Jessup/Aberdeen area.

So sad....once upon a time it was a nice place to live. :frown: Maybe if the move the Penetentary from out of the Downtown area, say like 300 miles away from any known towns, maybe..... just maybe, it'll get better.

Once I am done with the military, I am moving to either Seattle Wa. or Gulf Breeze, Fl.

baltimore (the city) is so ghetto. (don't mean to offend anybody, just a general observation/opinion, heh)

i have to admit, though, i'd rather be there than where i'm at right now :wink: (i never thought i would, but i miss the northeast :frown: )

Got a job offer from JHU in Laurel. Not sure if I should be excited or not. All I know is that housing prices are through the roof there. It's like nobody told them about the housing bust. What gives??

Got a job offer from JHU in Laurel. Not sure if I should be excited or not. All I know is that housing prices are through the roof there. It's like nobody told them about the housing bust. What gives??

I'm familiar with the area around JHU APL. PM/email me if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help.

Last edited:
OP still here?

I'm in the area as well!

Little update since its been a long while since Ive chimed in.

Moved to Columbia in the Dorsey Search village area....right by Centenial Lake and the Fairway Hills golf course. LOVE the area, so much better than Philly IMO. Baltimore is 15 mins away, DC 45 mins, Annapolis 30 mins...so much to do and see. I am very pleased with the area.

In January we bought a new construction in Ellicott City and haven't looked back.

To the new posters Maple Lawn in Fulton is an upcoming area, cool rest/bars and easy access to all major roads.

LoveNSXs - any good driving roads I need to know about?????

Last edited:
Little update since its been a long while since Ive chimed in.

Moved to Columbia in the Dorsey Search village area....right by Centenial Lake and the Fairway Hills golf course. LOVE the area, so much better than Philly IMO. Baltimore is 15 mins away, DC 45 mins, Annapolis 30 mins...so much to do and see. I am very pleased with the area.

In January we bought a new construction in Ellicott City and haven't looked back.

To the new posters Maple Lawn in Fulton is an upcoming area, cool rest/bars and easy access to all major roads.

LoveNSXs - any good driving roads I need to know about?????

I venture into baltimore every weekend. I'm actually further north of you and baltimore about 30-40 mins.. in aberdeen

There are some nice little local roads I take going to church or a friend's house off 695. not too long, but kinda twisty and fairly smooth. Still looking though, I've only been here since september.

I'm on Columbia Road / near 108 across from Fairway hills golf course in an apartment now. I think my wife and I going to move farther north in the Manchester area as housing is about 200,000 less than where we are now for the same house. Plus is that schools are still fairly decent.. and little crime.

Wondering which new community you bought into in January.. BTW I can't wait to get out of this apartment complex. One of our cars just got totaled sitting the parking space out front 2:00 pm on Tuesday by a crazed 88 year old driver.. took out 3 cars plus his. Claimed accelerator 'stuck' on his honda civic.

I'm on Columbia Road / near 108 across from Fairway hills golf course in an apartment now. I think my wife and I going to move farther north in the Manchester area as housing is about 200,000 less than where we are now for the same house. Plus is that schools are still fairly decent.. and little crime.

Wondering which new community you bought into in January.. BTW I can't wait to get out of this apartment complex. One of our cars just got totaled sitting the parking space out front 2:00 pm on Tuesday by a crazed 88 year old driver.. took out 3 cars plus his. Claimed accelerator 'stuck' on his honda civic.

my goodness! He may have had a better case if he drove a corolla or something! =P

no offense to you older guys here, but it's stuff like that that makes me wish old people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

at least it wasn't the X that got smacked.

Sounds like you are right near where our old apt was....Avalon "the woods" community..Ive seen many accidents on Columbia Road right there.

We moved into Shipleys Grant, highly recommend the community.

Oh yeah, looked at the Model there a couple of weeks ago. All the big units were already sold, and the middle units were a little on the small the side though for us. The big units I'm sure were over 500 though which was a little too much for us.

What's left of our car.. LOL. Oh yeah, the guy doesn't have enough insurance, surprise... surprise...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13299599@N06/sets/72157623919627142/

Back