• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Muffler delete- AP-X Turbo---Q's

I am about to purchase the AP-X kit. I am thinking of purchasing the kit with a dual straight pipe (no muffler) option. I am currently running the Pride V1 with test pipes and love the sound and loudness. I am worried with the turbo kit I will be losing that sound. i know the sound of the turbo will be great, but I still want that "exotic" high pitch sound. I was thinking of ordering the kit with the dual straight pipe option.

Is this going to sound too "raw" and "ricey"? Will it flow better? Faster spool? or lower the spool due to the backpressure being less? Thoughts? Thanks

Here is a pic of the setup.....mine will look the same minus the mufflers
Picture_598.jpg

Can't comment on sound since I don't own a turbo NSX (have twin turbo 3000), but you don't want back pressure. Turbo will spool faster and
make most power with free flowing exhaust. If that's your goal, no muffler, and shortest, biggest diameter exhaust is the way to go.

Others will need to comment on tuning the sound on a turbo NSX.

You have to choose.........Smoking hot nympho wife that is bat $hit crazy ooooorrrrr.........................really nice girl, good body, excellent mom, good in bed, great with kids, soft spoken and pretty good in the kitchen............

Name me any Turbo car that has F1 sound. It does not happen. I have the APX Borla. I can talk to my clients running down the highway and it sounds good over 5k rpm's. Make the choice.

You have to choose.........Smoking hot nympho wife that is bat $hit crazy ooooorrrrr.........................really nice girl, good body, excellent mom, good in bed, great with kids, soft spoken and pretty good in the kitchen............

Name me any Turbo car that has F1 sound. It does not happen. I have the APX Borla. I can talk to my clients running down the highway and it sounds good over 5k rpm's. Make the choice.

Lol...I just do not want it to sound too tame. I have got use to the sound with tp's. I threw on my cats to pass emissions and thought the Pride sounded like a stock G37.

Lol...I just do not want it to sound too tame. I have got use to the sound with tp's. I threw on my cats to pass emissions and thought the Pride sounded like a stock G37.

It absolutely will not sound tame...

I was just wondering if it will be obnoxiously loud. Can any turbo owners without a muffler chime in?

If I choose to go with the muffler, is the Borla a better choice (better flow), vs th Magnaflow?

We run our LoveFab turbo car with an open exhaust as much as possible.
It's a big diameter pipe right off the hot side to under the bumper, short and sweet.
It's LOUD at full boost but you can manage the level by managing throttle position and short-shifting if you don't want to draw too much attention.
If we want to run at our local road course (Waterford Hills), we have a baffle that we can insert to keep from blowing the sound level limit.
Baffle-out the turbo spools quicker for sure, and it's just more fun all around.
There's a bit of drone in the 2500-3000 range, but again that can be managed somewhat with driving style.

Go. For. It.

Brian

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 198
^ I was hoping Brian would chime in. This is easily the best sounding NSX I've ever heard. If yours would end up sounding anything like it....do it! I know there are good videos of this car in action on youtube too.

^ I was hoping Brian would chime in. This is easily the best sounding NSX I've ever heard. If yours would end up sounding anything like it....do it! I know there are good videos of this car in action on youtube too.
Thanks Ryan, here's a short compilation (baffle out) video if it helps push dawk over the cliff;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_9WsBB_PDnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brian

Mine is basically straight pipe. Quite loud. No muffler too loud. Copy my design of gutted magna flow ;) best apx sound.... Period.

Mine is basically straight pipe. Quite loud. No muffler too loud. Copy my design of gutted magna flow ;) best apx sound.... Period.

Although the sound may be loud, I cannot recommend doing this.

Still on the fence with the straight pipe. Angus is currently working on getting my kit together. I still may go with the straight pipe. I put my cats back on this weekend (pride v1 exhaust) and thought my car sounds like stock. I guess I have got use to the loudness of no cats.

Supersonic.............do you have a current soundclip? Are the gains significant with straight pipe off of the exhaust. Spool up significant?

Although the sound may be loud, I cannot recommend doing this.

Why will? In all honesty the stock magna flow sounds like a comptec. And no offense going from pride v1 with straight pipes to turbo with that quiet muffler, I couldn't stand it. That's just me. It is loud, but I see no performance or longevity issues in doing this. I'm already running no cats in Cali, what's a little less baffle gona do.

I will make a sound clip this weekend and post it up when I go on a test run with a few other nsxers to set up a drive.

Last edited:
I will make a sound clip this weekend and post it up when I go on a test run with a few other nsxers to set up a drive.

Sure you want to post a vid of you getting left behind in the twisties?:rolleyes: Again?:wink:

Lost is an understatement. My turbo just needs more room to stretch its power. So option 1, let you pass to ensure no cops will bust me and let you be the test car or option 2, leave you bus lengths back and run the risk of getting caught. Either way, my car still looks and sounds better. Can't argue facts :p

Lost is an understatement. My turbo just needs more room to stretch its power. So option 1, let you pass to ensure no cops will bust me and let you be the test car or option 2, leave you bus lengths back and run the risk of getting caught. Either way, my car still looks and sounds better. Can't argue facts :p

Lost is an overstatement. My turbo doesn't make me faster in the twisties. So option 1, let you pass to ensure that I don't slow you down or option 2, leave you to lead so you can go as fast as you want. Either way, my car still only sounds louder. Can't argue facts. :wink:

Fixed:biggrin:

Lost is an overstatement. My turbo doesn't make me faster in the twisties. So option 1, let you pass to ensure that I don't slow you down or option 2, leave you to lead so you can go as fast as you want. Either way, my car still only sounds louder. Can't argue facts. :wink:

Fixed:biggrin:

Oh your funny les, funny. And FYI for an exotic, louder to a degree is cooler. Hence why everyone gets a pride and stays away from the quiet comptech. While I won't win the popularity vote, I do win the color/exhaust/fi set up/ more handsome driver award :p

Back