• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1st time with a buffer

Originally posted by NyC NsX:
If you have never used a polisher b4 .......is it possible to do any damage ?

From what I understand, however, the porter-cable is a random orbital buffer. So you cannot burn or damage your paint like a high-speed rotorary buffer can. It was my first time using a buffer too (with no outside help), and everything turned out perfectly.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Originally posted by Soulstice:
From what I understand, however, the porter-cable is a random orbital buffer. So you cannot burn or damage your paint like a high-speed rotorary buffer can. It was my first time using a buffer too (with no outside help), and everything turned out perfectly.

The Orbital is relatively safe. However you need to still be very careful with how much pressure you are exerting when you are using the buffer on the edges of the car's body panels. Make sure then the pad is free from debris. It is very easy to get too comfortable with an orbital buffer and damage your finish. Having said that, I would suggest a DA buffer/Orbital as a starting point. I use the porter cable for all of my detailing up until the the polisher point. I hand remove all steps simply to get an eye on the results.
Won't get into the Zaino war have not used it. I have seen it and it looks good. I have the same to say about zymol. I have use the 3m and the meguiars with excellent results.
Another product you guys will want to check into is Akyra- excellent for scratches, must use Larger polisher (8 inch or larger). But excellent results.
Len
n9s5x-t

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 27 November 2002).]

Len has described the potential problem well.

Just be careful and don't apply too much pressure and watch the edges of the panels. Debris and crud, particularly that gunk which can be picked up around the wheel wells, can be caught in the pad and scratch the surface.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 27 November 2002).]

Soulstice - your car sure looks awesome in those photos!

I am one that is afraid to use the powered orbital buffers, random or not. I prefer to do everything by hand; I know the results might not look as good but there is no chance to cause damage. I'd kick myself if I did damage by incorrectly using a machine.

As for Zaino vs Zymol, I think both look great. However, I agree with UrbanPilot regarding the ease of applying any product. I used the Meguiar's 4-step process before (wash/clean/polish/wax), and damn--my arms just about fell off!

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
... However, I agree with UrbanPilot regarding the ease of applying any product...

Zaino is really a gem to use - one of the great features other than the result - you don't have to "work" the polish in or off; very light wipe action for both parts of process.
Here are my results- fading light but got a nice reflection of a tree, showing the depth of gloss on the black roof in particular.

fcffa29b.jpg

fcffa281.jpg

Oh, those are clouds reflected in the roof also!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by D'Ecosse (edited 27 November 2002).]

D'Ecosse,

Nice Pix!

Although it's hard to tell the depth of shine from pictures, your shots look particularly nice.

I agree with your ease-of-use assessment. I know most of the Zaino-philes who love the product mainly rave about the shine.

It's nice to know I get a great shine and unmatched protection against the elements, but for me, I really love Zaino for the ease of use.

We got our 1st light dusting of snow here in the Philly area today. I think I'll do my final Zaino application over the holiday or weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving All.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Soulstice - your car sure looks awesome in those photos!

I am one that is afraid to use the powered orbital buffers, random or not. I prefer to do everything by hand; I know the results might not look as good but there is no chance to cause damage. I'd kick myself if I did damage by incorrectly using a machine.

As for Zaino vs Zymol, I think both look great. However, I agree with UrbanPilot regarding the ease of applying any product. I used the Meguiar's 4-step process before (wash/clean/polish/wax), and damn--my arms just about fell off!

I use a cheap orbital w/ foam and some other really soft pads.

2 STEPS (Or three depends if your washing etc..)

I dust the car (almost never do I wash my cars,rarely rains in AZ)

1-----I use the orbital w/ mquires #9 (small 2ftx2ft sections)until the whole car is done.
WIPE OF W/ DIAPER or SIMILAR CLOTH

2-----Them I quickly cover the car w/Mothers or Zymol carnuba wax.
WIPE OFF W/ DIAPER or SIMILAR CLOTH

ITS SHOWTIME!!

Your done!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Yesterday I applied Zaino on my cars and noticed that by using ZFX the drying time, even though it was fairly cold here, was nil.

I always knew ZFX made a big difference on our humid summer Philly days, but it's nice to know that it also works just fine on cold days too. By the time I was done applying Zaino/ZFX on a car, I was ready to start where I began and wipe it off.

Generally, I try to take the NSX every so often in the winter, just as long as it's not raining, snowing or if the roads are full of salt.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

I thought from the topic that your parents had just moved away from your town - a.k.a. the Seinfeld episode when George's parents where moving away and Jerry's were moving back.

smile.gif

Back