• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1st time with a buffer

I tried removing swirl marks out of my black car for the first time, and I just wanted to get an opinion from any of you true detailing buffs (pun intended) out there.

Here are the steps I followed:

Step 1 : Washed my car with Dawn detergent to strip old wax. Towel dried car with 100% cotton towels.

Step 2 : Used Meguiar's Swirl Remover #9 in combination with my new Porter Cable buffer (set at speed 5). Wiped away the Meguiar's after it dried.

Step 3 : Applied Zaino Z1 (pre-polish lock) by hand. Let it haze and did not wipe away.

Step 4 : Applied Zanio Z5 (polish with swirl filler) also by hand over the Z1. Let it dry then wiped that all away.

In conclusion, the cars looks better than it ever has. But I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss anything crucial or perhaps there was a better way to do something. And I'm sure this topic has been beaten down like no topic has before...but I was looking for specific help for the specific products and process I am using.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

[This message has been edited by Soulstice (edited 26 November 2002).]

Some pics of my newly polished NSX :

polished.jpg

polished2.jpg

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T

Looks great! Did you use the buffer to buff the wax off too? or did you do that part by hand?

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Originally posted by Biaggi:
Looks great! Did you use the buffer to buff the wax off too? or did you do that part by hand?

First, thanks for the compliments.

I did all the Zaino steps by hand. According to the Zaino manual, you shouldn't use a buffer with their stuff because you will use too much product. Apparently only a very thin layer is needed.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T

Mandeep,

Very Nice. No swirls from here!! Glad to have met you at NSXPO this year.

Stay in touch.

LarryB

Soulstice,

Sounds like you did it right. Zaino really does a nice job on a black car. As long as you apply Zaino sparingly, it's hard to go wrong.

Here's just a few other thoughts/comments...

1. As you know, the next few times you won't need to apply the Z1. In the future, you may wish to look into using ZFX. It dries more quickly and it's harder. Otherwise, you'll just need to apply the Z1 undercoat once a year/season.

2. Z6. You didn't mention it, but the Zaino Z6 Enhancer is great for touch-ups and for after washing. It really helps keeps the dust off and makes it shine.

3. The Zaino car wash is also really great too.

I think you'll be amazed how long Zaino lasts too.

Regards and welcome to the ranks of happy Zaino users!

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

NV,

I use Zaino on my white Vette. It's nearly 30 years old, and even though it's not a clear coat modern finish, it still shines nicely with Zaino. Of course, the synthetic protection can't be beat - and for many people that's reason enough to use Zaino.

The only change I would make for a white car would be to use the Z2 polish instead of Z5. Z5 is designed to minimize swirl marks. When you have a black or dark colored car, swirl marks can be a real pain. On a white car, you'll hardly see the swirl marks and I'd go with the Z2.

You may also not need to use the buffer either.

SO.....

I'd use Z2 polish, ZFX catalyst (easier and better than the occasional Z1 undercoat), Z6 enhancer and the Z7 car wash. You may also wish to clay the car too. If it's never been done, I'd recommend doing it.

-Jim

PS: Keep in mind that even the best of white cars don't shine as brightly as black or dark cars. Zaino will, IMHO, make it as best as it can be.

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Jimbo, having been influenced by your fanaticism
biggrin.gif
regarding Zaino I was compelled to try & an instant convert! Very impressed.
Right now it as this stage
De-Wax
Clay-Bar (this step gives very good instant feedback as to its effectivity as you use it)
Wash, Z7
Z5 + ZFX
Z6
Z2 + ZFX (2 hrs later)
Z6
then 2 weeks later,
wash Z7
Z6
another coat Z5 + ZFX
Z6.

Question regarding ZFX - do you continue to use it on subsequent coats? The polish certainly goes a long way - probably only used about 1 oz (maybe less!) per coat over the whole car. I was disappointed at the skimpy ZFX bottle - 5 drops /ounce does not last too long for both Z2 & Z5.
So why don't they just incorporate it in the blend to begin with????

Larry B -> Likewise. It was great meeting you at the xpo.

Jimbo -> Thanks for the tips. Since I already bought a bottle of Z1, I'll go ahead and finish it out and try the ZFX stuff afterwards.

I'm probably gonna burn in hell for this statement, but I'm actually not too fond of the Z6 spray at all. It seems to wipe away "greasy" (tough to describe). But I've switched to Meguiar's quik detailer and like the results a lot better for small touch-ups.

And I love the Z7 car wash. I didn't use it this time because I needed Dawn to strip away my old wax.

The statements about claybar-ing brings up another question. Is there any need to ever clay my car if I always plan to use my buffer with the Meguiar's swirl remover? After the buffing treatment, the finish felt like glass. How much more beneficial can claying be?

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T

D'Ecosse,

Glad you like Zaino. It really is amazing, isn't it?

Regarding your question about ZFX...

ZFX is a catalyst. You put a few drops of it, along with a few ounces of either Z2 or Z5 in a mixing bottle. 5 drops per application (in that mixing bottle) should last a very long time.

They can't include it with the product because it's a catalyst. Kind of like a two part epoxy.

Regards,
Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Soulstice,

Regarding the Z6 spray...that's OK. Although you don't want to mix carnuaba wax (QuikDetailer) with Zaino. You'll lose the protection of the Zaino.

If Z6 didn't work for you and had that look, I suspect you used way too much.

Since you used the buffer with the swirl remover, I'd probably agree that the claying (for you) might be overkill.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Jimbo:
... You put a few drops of it, along with a few ounces of either Z2 or Z5 in a mixing bottle. 5 drops per application (in that mixing bottle) should last a very long time....
Regards,
Jim

Thanks for the reply I was actually looking for Jim - let me check again, the directions say to add 5 drops per ounce in the mixer bottle (i.e. 10 drops /2 oz bottle)- can you use less? I followed the directions explicitly (I think) & am quite satisfied with results. I had not previously tried non-ZFX application, so nothing to compare from personal experience.
All-in-all, seems to be working for me so why change a good thing?
biggrin.gif

D'Ecosse,

Regarding the ZFX, you want to keep the mixing proportions the same. Over time, I've managed to use very little Zaino, so sometimes I mix 3 drops with about 3/4 of an ounce. I have no leftover mixed Zaino this way. Once you add the ZFX to the Z2 or Z5, you have to use it.

But, if it's working great for you...then that's cool.

FYI: In the past, the "catalyst" was the occasional seasonal undercoat of Z1. Now, with the new ZFX, you don't need Z1 at all. ZFX dries quick and it's shinier and harder than the Z1.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Jimbo:
D'Ecosse,

... I mix 3 drops with about 3/4 of an ounce. I have no leftover mixed Zaino this way. Once you add the ZFX to the Z2 or Z5, you have to use it...

Sounds about right - think I mixed a half-bottle (1 oz) and had about same left over (~ 1/4 of that).
I guess my application rate for a newbie is pretty decent (thanks for your previous tips on that also)
biggrin.gif

Wasn't aware you couldn't re-use ZFX/mix later so glad of that advice to prevent me mixing a whole bottle (2 oz)

Since this topic has been dominated by 3-4 people, I thought that I may chime in. I think that Z1-Z10 and then the ZFX and the whatever, come on guys. I have to admit that I have not tried Zanio Bros products and really, I dont care to seeing that it take Lets say over 10 steps. I think that Ken is correct when he says, 3-4 steps, fine. I personally dont have time to sit there and wait and then wax on, wax off, all freakin day long. Now if I had nothing to do, well that is another thing but WOW, too many steps to follow. I need some kind of chart and timer with an alarm to follow that. I have used Zymol and think that it works great for the amount of timt/steps that it takes to achive my personal satifaction. If Zanio sent me some for several washes/waxes/swirls/etc., I would try it out but they would have to send some detailed instructions as to how and when to use what. I try not to be partial to one side but in the auto washing business, I think that there many products out there and I dont want to spend a small one on some products that will sit in my garage and later on down the road say to myself, damn why did I buy that or something like that. Anyway, isnt it too cold most everywhere to be washing your own car. Take it to get it done. I know that I will be doing so.

I hope that both companies and alone with Turtle Wax all read this thread and all wonder how to make their products a one wash/wax/drip dry and WOW that is shiny to make our lives slightly less complicated.

------------------
8k RPM in a recliner!

Originally posted by UrbanPilot:
I have to admit that I have not tried Zanio Bros products and really, I dont care to seeing that it take Lets say over 10 steps. I think that Ken is correct when he says, 3-4 steps, fine. I personally dont have time to sit there and wait and then wax on, wax off, all freakin day long.

You know, I'm also tired of these Zaino vs. Zymol wars with Ken in one corner and Jimbo on the other.

Zaino is great, I use it and love it and it doesn't have a bunch of steps unless you want to go the extra mile and get all the shine you can get - amazing after 3 or 4 coats of the stuff! Zymol I understand is a great wax and for those who like it - that's great, use it!'

The main reason I use Zaino instead of any wax is the fact that Zaino does not leave a residue that takes hours to clean up properly after the application. I'm not sure this shine is better than that shine, all I know is that Zaino is the right stuff for me.

Finally, please stop this senseless wars about which stuff is better, who cares! Use what you like and let's post topics that are really educational for all the members here.

As always, this is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree - Ken and Jimbo included.

Urban,

You can certainly choose and use whatever product you like. The basic process for Zaino (assuming you're starting with a clean and washed car) is to...

1. Mix the product (add a few drops of ZFX to either Z2 or Z5).

2. Apply the product.

3. Remove the product.

That's all. It does not take all "freakin" day long. In fact, I like and use Zaino because it's very fast and easy to use.

You can use optional products like clay or spray enhancers. And you can also apply multiple coats if one wishes. But one could say that about any product.

Please, if you like what you use, that's fine. If you're not interested in Zaino products, that's fine too, but there's no need for anyone to misrepresent their products or start "problems."

Regards,
Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Originally posted by Tom Larkins:
Hey Soulstice, what type of Porter Cable buffer did you use and where did you get it?

Hey Tom,

I got the Porter Cable 7424. Buy it at Coastal Tools here : http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7424.htm?L+coastest+xcxq8181fffd83fd+1038417354 and get a free 6" backing plate (for 3rd party pads) and a free 6" counterweight (for less vibration with 6" pads). All for $119 + shipping.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T

It's amazing how popular that Porter Cable 7424 unit is. The guys over at the Corvette forum have been buying them up left and right.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

The simple answer to this is yes. You need to be careful with a polisher. You might want to practice on an older vehicle.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Back