• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

10 Hours And Finally Perfection - Okay Almost

I spent 10 hours between Sat and Sunday this past long weekend bringing the NSX to a pearl feel with a mirror shine. Overall the car has spent allot of time in the garage and kept very clean. But had allot of surface scratches from previous washing and cleaning. Not sure the previous owner wax it, since I bought the car it was begging for a good wax.

This is my first go at a real full blown detail with a Porter Cable DA 7424XP and a full line up of Meguir's Ultimate Car Products.

First Step:

Meguiar's Car Wash, two bucket system one for clean water and one for rinse. Micro fiber weave towel patt down dry. Clean and air blow doors sills and hard to get spots. Clean all nooks and crannies....

Second Step:

Meguiar's clay car kit, clayed the car, and dry. Paint now feels like a pearl nice and super smooth.

Third Step:

Tap off lights, emblems, etc.. Used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound to remove light scratches and swirls. Started with less aggressive pad with least aggressive compound. The PC polisher was easy to use and does an amazing job even for a novice like me. Car start looking amazing 98% of all swirls and light scratches are gone.

Fourth Step:

Followed the compound with a Meguiar's Pre-Wax Finishing Polish, with new finishing pad. NOW we're talking, car shines like never before. Results just amazing and using the PC was easy to apply it and remove by hand.

Fifth Step:

Meguiar's Ultimate Wax applied with PC and let dry 25-30 minutes. Easily wiped off with micro fiber towel (different towels for each step). Different pad for PC as well.

Notes:
Used a diffierent 6.5" Pad for each step respective to the product I was applying. Also cleanned and stored each pad in a labelled zip lock bag for future use with the same product. Also used numerous micro fiber towels at each step, using new ones when beginning a step.

Found great information and tips on this forum and autogeeks.net, I was always timid about this process but after the results it was worth every minute. I did take my time as this was my first time with the Dual Action polisher and the process.

I will attach some pics so you can see the results. Just thought I would share my success.

Not the greatest pics but thought I would include them.

JC

Attachments

• IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0154.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 258
  • IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Excellent finished product! :eek:

Thanks for posting the step process, it's very easy to understand. When I browse Autopia.org, sometimes I have no idea what the terms used are, so it's difficult to follow the process from beginning to end. I plan on investing on the PC7424 as a starter polisher after reading several reviews on youtube, and suggestions on Autopia.

Good job on the detail. Hopefully mine will turn out as good as yours.

2nd thanks for posting the process. I just bought a Brooklands Green that needs TLC like what you have described.
PS: Next time post a "Sunglasses Required" warning with pics...way too shiny :biggrin:

Nothing like driving down the road knowing your car looks great.. Good job and congrats...

the new formula red doesn't have a tinted clear coat, so sometimes you can get an obnoxious shine since the red stands out alot.

The down side with the old formula red is that too much buffing, turns the car orange since you strip away the tint clear coat.

I personally like the darker red shine of the earlier years, but I'm a little biased ofcourse.

Last edited:
Lookin good. Very clean.

and the 19/20s dont look THAT bad. Although I think the nsx-r wing would look better in black.

i was going to suggest 18/19s would look more balanced and that the wing (at the middle part) should be left CF. i believe there was a blue nsx on this forum that had the sides of the type r wing painted in the body color but the centre of it left black. looked great imo.

still looks nice nonetheless!

Lookin good. Very clean.

and the 19/20s dont look THAT bad. Although I think the nsx-r wing would look better in black.

then it rains. LOL

nice job.

I use to do that to my 92 then waxing 3 times a week got old. and I got lazy.

I got lazy 200,000 miles ago. :smile:

Now I use these......

laserwash-pic.jpg

That's horrible Hugh, your Laserwash turned your gorgeous NSX into a Prius:eek:

haha Seriously, those Laserwash touchless car washes are by far the best. If your car is reasonably clean to begin with, they are almost like using a giant pressure washer. Wish there were more of them here in TN, the only one I've been able to find is on I-40E in Crossville.

then it rains. LOL

nice job.

What makes it easier for me is its my second car and it never see's anything but sun.. So its stays cleaner much longer. With the mild winter we have been having in MA it's getting more use than I imagined.

Porter Cable is an execellent starter polisher...

The random orbiter makes sure that there is very little chance that you will burn the paint...

Good job and the car looks good...

Back