• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 4yo just charged $100 on my wife's credit card on Facebook

Soooooooo............. almost seems funny doesn't it? For some unknown reason, at some point in the past, my wife apparently supplied Facebook with her credit card number. God only knows why.

My kids like to play some silly FB game called Pet Society. Somehow, my daughter clicked something to buy in game cash with FB credits that get charged against your card. It defaults to $100 worth of credits, there is no password asked for when you attempt to buy anything and when I walked thru the process to see how she did it, you are given a proceed and cancel button and the cancel button doesn't even work.

Target Visa told my wife too bad. Facebook told my wife:

Thank you for your email.
To clarify, these charges to your credit card are for Facebook Credits purchases related to the Pet Society application. Please note, these charges have occurred within your own Facebook account.

We have investigated the matter, and it does not appear to be a case of fraud, but rather a case of a family member or friend borrowing the card to make this charge or using your account.

Unfortunately, because this unauthorized charge was made by someone in your household or by someone who is known to you, we cannot issue a refund per our terms of purchase.

You can visit our Payment Terms (http://www.facebook.com/terms.php#!/payments_terms/) which state that:

"When you provide a payment source to us, you confirm that you are permitted to use that payment source. You also authorize us to collect and store it, along with other related transaction information. "

"When you make a payment, you authorize us (and our designated payment processor) to charge the full amount to the payment source you designate for the transaction."

Please note, you can remove any credit cards or PayPal accounts listed on your account by accessing:

https://secure.facebook.com/cards.php

You can then select the "Remove" option next to the desired credit card or PayPal account you wish to take off your account.

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks for contacting Facebook,

Amber
Payment Operations
Facebook

I called Visa back today and they said the charge hasn't completed yet and I'd have to wait for it to complete before I could start a dispute process (which I'm not all that convinced is going to work anyway). Canceling my card will not stop the charge and they cannot prevent the charge from occurring.

I'm )(#&$)(&#$ pissed!!!

Too funny...

My 2 year old bought an app (an upgrade to an app, actually) on my wife's iPhone today! Fortunately, it was only $.99. I'm not sure why he didn't have to input a password to finalize the purchase...

I just found the Playfish contact process... apparently they are EA. I had an EA account so just opened a ticket with them. Perhaps they will be more helpful...... (hahaha!!!)

That sucks!!

Never NEVER NEVER trust Facebook with real critical information, such as your cellphone number, credit card, bank acct info, etc.

People need to be made aware of this!

No need to tell me that vim pretty upset that my wife would have provided it to them she knows better. But I think sherealizes that now without
ME having to rub salt in the wound.

Paying REAL money for ANYTHING that you can not hold in your hand makes no sense to me.

I know you can buy games like COD off the web and not have to go to the store to buy them BUT when they are lost or your PC crashes you are screwed, especially if you are a computer idiot like me...screwed into a game of emailing back and fourth to get something back that you never actually had. Now if you go to the store and buy the game you always have the DVD/CD in your hand and the only way you can 'lose' it is if you actually physically lose it.

I don't buy jack shit that doesn't come with a phone number. I can get 10 hours of emailing BS back and fourth done with a 5 minute phone call and shift the frustration at the same time too. After all IMO when I pay money for something it's 1/2 the money for the item and the other 1/2 for convenience.

It is highly unlikely that this 'new economy' will get much from me. I am a tangible kind of guy. Not really interested in paying 4.99 to turn my phone into a flashlight... I'd rather just buy a damn flashlight. Well unless I pay 4.99 for the flashlight app and it comes with a phone number that goes directly to an English speaking human being that gets my flashlight app working again with minimal frustration on my part. Until then I'll just buy a regular flashlight thank you.

I know I did. When I was little my buddy got me to start calling some joke line (literally, you call it, and you get to hear a recorded joke). Did it for a week or two. My parents blew a gasket when the phone bill came. They were sure the charges were fraudulent until they showed me the phone #. OOPSIES!

Just an update... Playfish, the company that wrote the Pet Society game, was recently acquired by EA. EA support says they don't have the necessary tools yet to handle support calls and had no idea who Playfish even was and had to research all of this. In any case, they've escalated the ticket and given me a $20 EA credit "for my troubles". No idea what I'll do with that, but as long as I get my $100 back in the end, thanks EA.

Thanks for the tip, I just emailed the newscaster about what happened to us. I haven't seen anyone mention the Facebook angle yet.

btw, EA told us we would have to have facebook refund the $$ (been there done that)
VISA finally refunded us the $$$ and said as long as facebook didn't dispute our dispute within 45 days, the refund would stick.

Last edited:
Welcome to the new business model. Your money doesn't even have to travel to Lithuania anymore.

Link

Talk about "the new business model". Those of you wishing to acquire some virtual class can purchase a virtual McLaren F1. It's just one of 83+ models available for Car Town, a Facebook based game/enterprise that sells more than 10,000 virtual cars per day according to the company (Cie) that developed the game. Of course you will have to spend about $75 to purchase enough virtual cash to acquire an F1 of your very own. (See Aaron Robinson's column in the February 2011 issue of Car and Driver.)

Back