• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my antenna is stuck up

my antenna on my 98'nsx-t is stuck up and will not roll down...when i power it on/off i can hear the antenna motor but the antenna does not move. is there any way i can roll the antenna down by hand? Id just like it to go back down, then id like to disconnect it.

I'd try to push the antenna back in by hand after cleaning and 'silicone greasing' the shaft, after you heard the motor trying to retract the antenna, before taking anything apart. You can easily push it back in, starting with the smallest part on the top. Be careful not to bend it.
Then try and see if the motor can get the antenna back up and in again.
You might need to try this a couple of times , even if the antenna doesn't go back in completely, carefully push in the rest by hand... Only after this doesn't work, I would start thinking about looking into this further.

same happened to mine on the 93... just pushed it down... and never needed it really anyways...

I just finished the repair on my antenna. I had the same problem. Since I had done thie repair on my 300XZTT many years ago, I was prepared for it.

Basically, the plastic driver which runs inside the antenna has broken loose from the antenna. It looks like a long fexlible plastic tube, with teeth on one side, and lives inside the antenna, or disk shaped area at the base of the antenna assembly, depending on if the antenna is up or down.

When the antenna is raised, the plastic tube is fed up by a gear the drives the teeth on one side of it, pushing the antenna up. Then process is reversed on the colapsing of the telescope.

Anyway, you have to completely disassemble the antenna assembly, pop the top of the little teloscopic tip (little ball on top) off. Then reattach the plastic driver to the base of the thinnist part of the antenna (this is tricky), then reassemble.

Clean everything out good in the process, then relube with graphite dust lub, and it works like new.

Of course, the other option is just buying a new one, and change them, but I have always been more about the challenge than the easy fix, soo......

PS - When trying to reattach the plastic tube to the base of the smallest telescopic part of the antenna, I just used a cigarette lighter to melt the remaining plastic part out, then a small screwdriver can be inserted to widen it, to take the reinsertion. I also had to widdle the end of the plastic tube smaller to fit in, before recompressing it with a standard wire krimper. After doing this to my old car, it lasted 10 more years with no problems.

Good luck!....or just shave it.....?!?

my antenna on my 98'nsx-t is stuck up and will not roll down...when i power it on/off i can hear the antenna motor but the antenna does not move. is there any way i can roll the antenna down by hand? Id just like it to go back down, then id like to disconnect it.

1. You can take a large pair of side cutters and cut off the old one to make it easy to remove the motor. It is already broken, and the part is not repairable. Believe me I have tried. Then get a new "Antenna Mast" from Acura to replace the broken one. I think they are about $35 or $40. It really doesn't take a mechanical engineer to do this.

2. If you are into a little salvage yard/e-bay shopping, get an antenna from a 91-93 Honda Accord, change the top attachment off of your NSX antenna, switch the wires in the electrical plug and have an antenna that is about 12-15 inches shorter than the NSX "fishing pole" antenna. The wires are color coded. For some reason the NSX wires are in a different order than the Accord plug. Thats what I did.

3. Start with step 1 and replace it with a fixed antenna.

Brad

OLDNSX....I know you mean well, but when you say you have tried, I am inclined to believe your use of side cutters has impaired your ability to repairs requiring finesse?....as I have repaired this problem twice, and while it takes a while, and is no easy job for quickly frustrated, it is not all that complicated in the end, and restores the factory antenna to its original finctionality....as I indicate in my post prior to yours. Ohh, and actually required no additional cost or purchases.

I just do not like giving the (less mechanical) readers the impression that side cutters is the only way to go here....and besides, my NSX and I tend to like fishing. :)

Thanks for providing an additional solution.

OLDNSX....I know you mean well, but when you say you have tried, I am inclined to believe your use of side cutters has impaired your ability to repairs requiring finesse?....as I have repaired this problem twice, and while it takes a while, and is no easy job for quickly frustrated, it is not all that complicated in the end, and restores the factory antenna to its original finctionality....as I indicate in my post prior to yours. Ohh, and actually required no additional cost or purchases.

I just do not like giving the (less mechanical) readers the impression that side cutters is the only way to go here....and besides, my NSX and I tend to like fishing. :)

Thanks for providing an additional solution.

Point taken but when the plastic erection leader, that pushes and pulls the mast, with the gear notches, breaks in the middle of the travel, or for that matter anywhere in the travel, it is unrepairable. The rest of the mast is worthless. If you can push it down, OK. Usually when the mast will not retract is because the leader has broken above the drive gear and hangs up on the housing when you try to push it down.

How are you repairing the broken plastic leader? That would be something that I would like to know how to do. If the leader is too short the timing of the motor drive will not stop and keep from running out of leader.

The antenna assembly can not be removed from the trunk with the mast in the erect postiton. Now if you want, you can take the whole assembly loose and remove the two screws from the round spool storage area and pull the mast down before you remove the assembly. I think that you may have to turn the assembly around to get at those two screws, don't remember for sure.

My thing is why waste a lot of time on a part that you are just going replace.

I use a pair of inside snap ring pliers to remove the round nut that holds the mast assembly to the fender. That is the hardest part. I would not try to repair an antenna with it mounted in the car. It needs to be cleaned and lubed before installing a new mast. I made a wire harness just for doing the function checks on these antennas that makes repairing them a lot easier.

Back to you,:smile:
Brad

If it is broken in the middle, then side cutters to the rescue, but how can we know where it is broken until we check, and after side cutters, it is too late. So i recommend the following.

The weakest point on the plastic gear tube is the connection to the smallest telescopic section of the antenna. This is usually were it breaks, due to flexing in the shape of a repeated "S" inside the tube (mental picture required), when pressing the antenna up against undue stress of residue, dirt, etc. If this is the break point, then the fix is easy. If it is elsewhere, then things are more complicated, but all is not lost.

Anyway, back to that "S" shape, which is formed inside the antenna by the plastic tube that should stay straight. The calapsing of the "S" is what binds inside the telescoping antenna, causing it to stay up. The motor makes it's noise, but either the slip function in the gear drive is weaker than the antenna's resistance due to it's gunk and residue build up plus the "S" inside it, or the drive tube is no longer hanging low enough to contact the round gear that draws it down....again, due to the "S". So the antenna stays up.

There are two screws as you mention which can be removed from the antennas base unit (they are not on the backside, they are on the front), allowing the coverplate to be removed, which usually covers the swirling up chamber (the plastic gear drives "layer" as it may be called since it is the villian here, and all villians need layers). Once this is removed, the plastic dish/disk/outter shell of the layer, can be easily removed. Now one can with patience and jiggleing press the antenna down (this is best done when activating the down funtion of the antenna by turning the stereo on, listening to the motor try to push the antenna up, with no result, then as it trys to pull it down, the additional downforce of pressing the antenna down, in my experience, has enganged the villian tube into its round gear drive, spitting the uncoiled plastic gear tube out into the trunk). Pressing down onteh antenna the whole time. Do not worry, it will coil itself back up later.

Refer to previous post for repair steps from here on out.

Turns out that many cars have the same unit design. I did this repair to my old 300ZXTT, when the plastic gear drive was broken about 12-14 inches below the top. I simply discarded the extra, reattached the new top of the plastic gear drive (broken end), then reassembled. The antenna then went up about 8 inches less, but worked fine. Why? Because there was an extra 6 or so inches in the layer at stock heights full raise, that was now being used. So, it was pushing the whole plastic drive gear up, through, and out the other side of the round gear drives teeth. BUT, gravity made sure it was there, sitting on those same teeth, ready to pull down, whenever they spun the other way.

Important point, when at my vacation house in Sweden where my car lives, I often have lots of free time between the rest and relaxation. So I take the time to do unessasary things like this, because I enjoy the challenge of repairing the unrepairable.

For me it is not a cost issue, or I would just buy another one. I do feel though that in the last 7 to 8 years I have met many NSX owners like myself that enjoy the challenge, increased technical understanding, and satifaction of a the completed job....and hey, if it saves a few bucks, then so be it. To each his own, and good luck too all you with this problem.

Sorry, after I made my last post I re-read the original question and I really got off on a rabbit trail.

Yes, you can. If you can push the mast down, do it, I never had any luck doing this. If not you need to remove the round chrome nut, that has the four notches 90 degrees apart, on the outside of the antenna assembly. Take a pair of 90 degree inside snap ring pliers and remove the nut on the outside that holds the mast assembly to the fender. Be careful not to slip off the nut and scratch the paint. That really pisses the owner off!! Sometimes these nuts are quite tight. Remember they are RIGHT HAND threads, so turn counter-clockwise to loosen. You may want to drop by the dealer and have them use the special tool to do this. Any Honda/Acura dealer will have one.

Remove the panel that allows acces to the antenna in the trunk. Disconnect the three wire connector that powers the antenna. Remove the bolt that holds the antenna to the fender and disconnect the coax lead, it just pulls out. Remove the two screws that hold the round spool cover in place. If I remember right it is on the back side. Remove the spool insert. The broken geared leader will be inside it. Watch out, it will try to spring out. It is not real strong, but will be covered with dirty grease. Try to turn the top solid length of antenna as you gently push down.

If this doesn't work remove the single screw that holds the mast into the motor housing. Wiggle the mast out of the motor housing, it just pushes in. A spot of WD-40 will make this go back together a lot easier too. Now you should be able to push/pull the mast down. Put the mast back in the motor drive, after fishing the leader into position. Put the leader, that is attached to the antenna, in the spool insert and put it all back to gether.

Connect the coax connection, but do not connect the three wire power connector. Put everything else back to gether. Put a spot of WD-40 on the treads of the chrome nut, it will go back to gether a lot easier. That nut should be the last thing that you tighten. Not too tight here, don't slip! Remember you don't want to piss the owner off! Don't worry if you get WD-40 on your paint, just wipe it off. It won't hurt paint, in fact WD-40 works great for removing road tar. Try it sometime.

The FM part of your radio will work just fine, the AM stations needed the antenna for reception.

Hope this reply helps,:smile:
Brad

Ohh, an OLDMNSX, please don't come after me with that chopper. :) JK...my little brother was a pen pal with his junior high schools support desert storm project, and he was assigned to be pen pal with a chopper pilot. He received letters about and pictures of the beasts in action......respect!!! I think they might have been cobras though?!!? Anyway, c ya!

Wouldn't it be easier to just unscrew the nut at the rear quarter and pull the mast out, since you have to remove the nut to get the ant. motor off anyways.........or to put the new mast in.........

Wouldn't it be easier to just unscrew the nut at the rear quarter and pull the mast out, since you have to remove the nut to get the ant. motor off anyways.........or to put the new mast in.........

It would be nice if you could do it that way, but it just wasn't made that way. The mast has to come up from the inside (trunk) of the fender. The nut holds it in place from the outside.

Brad

It would be nice if you could do it that way, but it just wasn't made that way. The mast has to come up from the inside (trunk) of the fender. The nut holds it in place from the outside.

Brad

I believe when you replace the mast, you just unscrew the nut on the fender and the mast comes out the top. Done mine that way twice now! The bottom of the mast is flanged and the nut holds it in and keeps it from coming right out the top.....

You might want to make sure thats its not slightly bent first. I did a couple of top speed runs and then mine would not go down. Had a slight bend that I corrected by hand and presto!

I am considering shortening my mast for that reason (Bending) It is easy enough to get the mast out and shorten the tape, but would have to find a way to stop mast also or the tape would unthread from the spool in the motor(which it does now sometimes)...any thoughts??

I am considering shortening my mast for that reason (Bending) It is easy enough to get the mast out and shorten the tape, but would have to find a way to stop mast also or the tape would unthread from the spool in the motor(which it does now sometimes)...any thoughts??

After I have take a few of these apart and compared the parts from one to the other. I have found that the electrical timing gears are different. This gear allows the main spool to turn a different number of rotations for the different vehicle antennas lengths. The contacts for the electrical connections are located in different locations too. This is why I like the shorter Accord antenna. If you shorten the plastic gear leader it will not do what you want. The main spool rotations have to be adjusted.

Go to your local salvage yard and get an antenna assembly out of a 91-93 Honda Accord and disassemble it, you will see what I am talking about.

Brad

Back