• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Carbon Fiber projects

Obviously weight reduction was not a factor in making the carbon fiber radiator bracket but i did
Not realize a small piece like this could be almost 80% lighter.

a140d028f87b475f994eeb8f5c8fed27.jpg

5a82e6b4a1d22dbc7d5ddafdd66a55c9.jpg

Decided to do center console next.

Almost ready for mold, just need to do some work with clay

846b16c2a4186abbec9cf0ded881e2f1.jpg

Obviously weight reduction was not a factor in making the carbon fiber radiator bracket but i did
Not realize a small piece like this could be almost 80% lighter.

a140d028f87b475f994eeb8f5c8fed27.jpg

5a82e6b4a1d22dbc7d5ddafdd66a55c9.jpg

Half a pound is not bad at all. It all adds up. Great work by the way.

I noticed your mixing cup. I had a few melt before lol. For a cost affective means I use paper small party cups to mix.

Just keep in mind if too much orange gel coat are applied in one single layer, it will create an effect called alligatoring. Usually a chemical reaction painters despise caused by super heated cure rates created by the hardener/activator. It wrinkles due to imroper even coats or pooling, you will only know once you release the mould amd inspect the negative side used to make your part.

Can't wait to see your new project complete.... very rewarding !

Last edited:
I noticed your mixing cup. I had a few melt before lol. For a cost affective means I use paper small party cups to mix.

Funny you say that..... That cup didn't make it. Will definitely be using party cups going forward

Center console piece did not come out to my liking and broke the original part taking it out of the mold.

But I learned a lot in that one piece.

Last edited:
You have just reinspired me to revisit making my own parts. I have had a vacuum bagging machine for about 5 years, ive used it twice wrapping stuff, but never a brand new part out of a mold. Do you have more pics of the radiator stay you made? Starting with making the mold?

You have just reinspired me to revisit making my own parts. I have had a vacuum bagging machine for about 5 years, ive used it twice wrapping stuff, but never a brand new part out of a mold. Do you have more pics of the radiator stay you made? Starting with making the mold?

Unfortunately I do not.....It was the same process as the double din console except I didn't t fail on it....lol

Did you back the gel coat with a few layers of fiberglass before attempting to pull the plug from it first?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing it appears, can't tell if in the pics, your clay needs to extend outward enough or your molded parts will have vacuum lock and not easily remove from the mold...

Did you back the gel coat with a few layers of fiberglass before attempting to pull the plug from it first?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing it appears, can't tell if in the pics, your clay needs to extend outward enough or your molded parts will have vacuum lock and not easily remove from the mold...

Yeah I did put several layers of fiberglass......the main problem was a leak in the infusion but I was under pressure because I had a car show in like 2 days and I ruined the original part.

Lesson learned

Thanks to sduff@comsites...... I'll be making another attempt at the console

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I'd rec if you weren't planning already to prep sand that part to at least 600 grit before waxing for the molding process that way it will save you some time on final finishing :)

I'd rec if you weren't planning already to prep sand that part to at least 600 grit before waxing for the molding process that way it will save you some time on final finishing :)

Thanks for the tip. I sanded to 900 than wetland with 1200.......very smooth.

Back