• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My cursed nsx ownership....

Not sure how Hagerty works (I don't use them) but most insurance policies I know will allow you buy back the car at a negotiated price. I think that's your best option and quite frankly their best option. They won't get the money in the open salvage yard for a built motor.
If they total it, I think my nsx riding wave is finished...

Sorry to see, I feel you pain.
It looks terrible but from the chassis point of view it safe, no worries about it. I had a crash looking worse caused by an idiot on the parking lot but the chassis and the alignment checked out ok.

I do not dare to mention it and please don't get me wrong but UHP tires really suck in heavy rain mainly due to their limited ability to prevent hydroplaning. You have to drive 10-20 mph slower than with good rain tires with some serious thread left on them. That's the reason I don't drive my car in the rain anymore.

+1

The original owner of my '91 did the exact same thing, driving in Seattle rain with performance tires. He hit one puddle too many and the front swapped ends with the back on a freeway onramp. When I bought the car, the owner made me VERY aware of how to drive it in the wet, and even scolded me on the test drive when I ran through a water puddle a bit too fast as I drove through a parking lot. :cool:

Since I've owned it I think it's only seen rain twice, and both times were accidental. Unless you have weather-specific tread, you need to granny it for sure. It won't give any warning.

+1

The original owner of my '91 did the exact same thing, driving in Seattle rain with performance tires. He hit one puddle too many and the front swapped ends with the back on a freeway onramp. When I bought the car, the owner made me VERY aware of how to drive it in the wet, and even scolded me on the test drive when I ran through a water puddle a bit too fast as I drove through a parking lot. :cool:

Since I've owned it I think it's only seen rain twice, and both times were accidental. Unless you have weather-specific tread, you need to granny it for sure. It won't give any warning.

Care to share what his advice was regarding driving in the rain.
Sorta left us hanging.

Care to share what his advice was regarding driving in the rain.
Sorta left us hanging.

Essentially the same advice expressed by others in this thread. Don't unless you have no other choice, and then drive it like you're in limp mode.

It had Proxes T1R's when I bought it, but I don't know for sure if they were on the car when it spun.

Essentially the same advice expressed by others in this thread. Don't unless you have no other choice, and then drive it like you're in limp mode.

It had Proxes T1R's when I bought it, but I don't know for sure if they were on the car when it spun.

Back when I had BC coilovers and nitto tires, the rear broke free in the rain and it was totally predictable and correctable. This time, running KW V3’s and PSS tires, there was no feel at all. Just Ass over foot multiple times so quickly I had no reaction time.

Last edited:
talk to Hass and Joe L...then make an informed decision.

Well, Hagerty totaled the car. I just sent them the title and released the car from the body shop for them to pick up. Minor rear damage to the frame under the tail lights but more importantly, you cannot buy anything in new condition for this freaking car anymore. Been real nsxprime. Moving on from this venture.:victorious::victorious::victorious::victorious::victorious::victorious:
If anyone wants a project look for it at the auctions. The motor is so clean you can eat off it. Plus it’s juiced up...

Last edited:
:( What horrible luck!

Wow. Just like that, it's over. So sorry to hear this... we were all emotionally attached especially after your build thread.

It really didn't look that bad. Then again, I'm not really an expert. I hope Hagerty had your back and that you were well compensated for this.

To note, I DID NOT strip the car down before handing it in. I left everything in tact. Nothing for sale other than some parts I never got to install. Hagerty made me whole [MENTION=31854]furinax[/MENTION]. I don’t know people here like I did in Cal, so I do not wish to do a buy back.

I should’ve seen that coming, LOL.

Very sad indeed. Will be watching the auction as I'm sure I know a couple of folks who will be trying to buy this car. Best of luck down the road. We sure enjoyed you while you were here.

Wait a second, wasn't this a salvaged car already? If so, who cares if you put used fenders and bits on her?

Last edited:
Very sad indeed. Will be watching the auction as I'm sure I know a couple of folks who will be trying to buy this car. Best of luck down the road. We sure enjoyed you while you were here.

Wait a second, wasn't this a salvaged car already? If so, who cares if you put used fenders and bits on her?

I agree but I think he was over the nsx with his bad luck. I think he would of made out better if he bought the car back from insurance and sold it. Sometimes people just want to walk away and not deal with addional work.

I bought my 2000 long block from a guy who smushed his car with a built turbo motor ...he bought a nice 2000 and did his motor transplant and I got a nice oem na2....just sayin you had some options...

Sorry to hear of this owners loss. Glad that he wasn't hurt and that insurance took car of him. After looking at the photos, I was surprised that the car was totaled.

Thanks guys, I know I have options. I am just done. I’m going to make another bad financial decision, buy a boat, but a brand new one...�� I do not miss the car as much as I thought I would. I would have definately kept upgrading the car if I didn’t crash it. I just always wanted more out of that car and don’t wish to chase the dragon any longer. Pretty sure I’m going to get into an M4. I love those cars.

I'll miss the avatar...and your candor....but like I always say ...being a primate does not require an nsx:wink:

Back