• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My decision is down to one of these Monaco blues!! Which one primers???

I have narrowed my choice's down to one of these Monaco blue's. Both are tempting as they are very similar in year and miles. I need your advice on what your opinion is on the price and maintenance that each one has and which one you would go with.

Option 1.
GENERAL INFO:
YEAR: 2000
MODEL: NSX-T
FULL VIN#: JH4NA2169YT000122
CURRENT MILEAGE: 84,005
COLOR (EXT/INT): Monaco Blue / Tan
TRANSMISSION: 6-speed
PRICE:48,500
No accidents
No paintwork

The following was also completed within the last 3000 miles (last year):

Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Valve adjustments
Water Pump
Head Gasket- due to overheating and was properly fixed by Jim russell with upgraded gaskets, shaved head, and arp studs and reassembled.
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Engine coolant hoses
Spark plugs
Thermostat
Clamps and O-Rings
New SOS Sports clutch also installed

The above bill was over $8000 including all parts and labor (have all receipts).

I have also contacted Jim Russell (one of a few NSX mechanics us Bay Area owners trust and take our NSXs to) and he has graciously offered to answer any questions, any prospective buyers have in regards to this car. You can either PM me for his shop number, or search on nsxprime via his name.

Option2:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...mt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=316797724&Log=0

Tb/wp completed in past 3 year
Might need a clutch soon( no slipping though)
radio static problem
Need tires as well due to age
Other wise very clean
No accidents or stories

My main question between these two NSX's if you would buy a engine that had a blown head gasket from overheating if it was fixed properly???? I'm just worried that this problem would affect the block in some way and create problems down the road??? Any advice between these two cars would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in ad ace for any guidance. I'm trying to make a decision this week.

Blaine

If the conditions of the exterior and interior of the car is the same I would lean towards car #1, given that it's up to date on maintenance and then some. Assuming you have full confidence the head gasket was done properly.

Definitely 2. I wouldn't want a car that had previously overheated. Just my personal opinion...

Both heads were done and arp studded. Jim Russell did the work and I heard is one of the best in the Bay Area. Can anyone comment on his work?

Blaine

- - - Updated - - -

Im trying to make this desision by this weekend. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Blaine

- - - Updated - - -

anybody?

Wow, definitely a hard decision. On one hand, you have a car with all maintenance up to date with even a new clutch installed, but has the head gasket replaced. On the other hand, you have a car that doesnt have a history of any head gasket replacement but from what you listed, needs at minimum of a new clutch. If both owners are truthful and have told you what has been completed and what needs to be done, I would find out how much a new clutch would cost, installed, and any other maintenance item option 2 needs and add that to the asking price. Then I would see what else each car comes with and put a value to that added item as well. Total up everything on both cars and see which one would offer you more value in the long run.

As for Jim Russell, I would post in the Nor Cal section and ask for local comments/experience, or do a search in that section and find out what posted about him. I just sold my NSX but living in the area, I have heard so many positive things about Jim Russell that if I still had my car, I would not hesitate in letting him work on my car for any issues what so ever.

Seems like you have a tough decision. Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the response. I will get a hold of Jim on Monday and find out his true opinion on the matter. The clutch and up to date parts are a huge selling point I/m just unsure about the head gasket. Thanks again.

Blaine

Wow, definitely a hard decision. On one hand, you have a car with all maintenance up to date with even a new clutch installed, but has the head gasket replaced. On the other hand, you have a car that doesnt have a history of any head gasket replacement but from what you listed, needs at minimum of a new clutch. If both owners are truthful and have told you what has been completed and what needs to be done, I would find out how much a new clutch would cost, installed, and any other maintenance item option 2 needs and add that to the asking price. Then I would see what else each car comes with and put a value to that added item as well. Total up everything on both cars and see which one would offer you more value in the long run.

As for Jim Russell, I would post in the Nor Cal section and ask for local comments/experience, or do a search in that section and find out what posted about him. I just sold my NSX but living in the area, I have heard so many positive things about Jim Russell that if I still had my car, I would not hesitate in letting him work on my car for any issues what so ever.

Seems like you have a tough decision. Good Luck!

hey blackoutz,
did you pick either one of these cars?

As a local who has had Jim Russell work on my car many times, I wouldn't think twice about buying a car that he had repaired a major part of. It comes back from him better-than-new.

Back