• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My New Carbon Fiber Custom NSX Steering Wheel

I hear you but the wheel and frame are largely untouched. They simply trim the bottom and wrap everything with CF. I really don't think there is a safety concern although I suppose it's possible. I agree the wheel could be a bit more cohesive as far as color etc. I love it though. Grows on me more each day...

I hear you but the wheel and frame are largely untouched. They simply trim the bottom and wrap everything with CF. I really don't think there is a safety concern although I suppose it's possible. I agree the wheel could be a bit more cohesive as far as color etc. I love it though. Grows on me more each day...

I agree that the likelihood of the wheel being a liability in an accident is probably remote. I was just pointing out the contradiction between the desire to have an airbag for safety and choosing a custom untested design.

I would really like to see a version of this wheel with the airbag deleted and replaced with a more attractive Acura logo center piece. Since the NSX airbag is a first generation system and early airbags were shown to be of limited effectiveness, I'm of the opinion that having an ancient airbag may be more of a liability than an asset.

I am not a big airbag fan either. New or old. There are certainly better looking setups. I wanted to have somewhat of a stock look. I would be interested in other inners too...

What about using a 3D printer to make a sleeker plastic center piece, wrap it with something to give the raw printed piece a more finished OEM like texture, then glue the newer Acura "A" logo on top? I bet this would look really great. I'm surprised we aren't seeing more forum members using 3D printing to fabricate smaller custom pieces like this.

I don't know a ton about 3D printing yet. It certainly would provide for some interesting experimentation. If I ever sell my old house maybe I will have a few pennies to invest in one. Until then, NSX maintenance is my only accepted non-essential spending. My new neighbor has a couple custom made CNC routers. We will be good friends...

Looks great.

Like the NSX concept wheel.

Acura-NSX-concept-steering-wheel.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the strongest leather - Kangaroo for the wheel?

Like NSX concept wheel better, price for modified wheel is too much.....I just replaced wheel on my chevy avalanche for 375.00 , with 75.00 core exchange - refund = 300.00 total cost. The wheel was modified from OEM core in Italy, great leather, better than on my Momo wheels, very similar style as posted here with carbon fiber inserts. Very high quality and feel for 300.00 compared to 5 times that for the NSX wheel? I like the custom NSX wheel, but 500.00 would be more than a fair enough price point. The brand wheel on my truck is Millenium by Sherwood if you like to compare.

I have photos, I suck at posting, will get my kid to help me post today.photo-1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

Sorry for crappy posts, but you can get the idea.....

Last edited:
Ha! If it makes you feel better I literally put aside 4 hrs a year back to figure it out myself...

Posted photos above. Thks to my kid.....

Looks pretty good. Not to suggest the wheel I purchased was inexpensive, but there are a few more things that were done that account for some of the cost. 1. The bottom was cut and re welded back on. 2. The 'handgrips' are much more intricate. And 3. A lot more CF with I think more detail. Does that account for all the cost probably not but I would be surprised to get a duplicate much under $1k. It would be interesting to know though...

Looks pretty good. Not to suggest the wheel I purchased was inexpensive, but there are a few more things that were done that account for some of the cost. 1. The bottom was cut and re welded back on. 2. The 'handgrips' are much more intricate. And 3. A lot more CF with I think more detail. Does that account for all the cost probably not but I would be surprised to get a duplicate much under $1k. It would be interesting to know though...

It would be nice to build that wheel for under 1K. I don't see 5 times the work.

i wonder how they change the shape of steering? anyone got any clue?

Usually they rework the foam that's around the metal frame of the steering wheel itself.

Hopefully this picture I jacked from Google can give you a better visualization:
061.jpg

To the OP that wheel looks beautiful!!!

I can't understand how an adult would pick looks over there safety. I have had many friends saved by bags. Lance

Because not everyone here believes that the ancient airbag design in the NSX increases safety significantly. The airbag is not even considered to be a primary safety device-- it's called SRS (Supplemental Safety System) for a reason. The vast majority of safety is provided by your primary safety system, the seat belt. The additional benefit provided by a first generation airbag system is very small, if any.

With all due respect to your friends who have been in accidents, it is often difficult to tell if the air bag made a significant difference or not. But people who've had them deploy often make this unfounded assumption. The statistics show that air bags are only mildly effective at preventing death relative to seat belts, supporting the idea that many of these driver's assumptions are wrong. Additionally your friends were likely driving newer cars with advanced air bags. The improved effectiveness of these newer multiple air bag designs does not apply to the NSX.

Last edited:
Looks great.

Like the NSX concept wheel.

Acura-NSX-concept-steering-wheel.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can you use the strongest leather - Kangaroo for the wheel?

Anyone who wants this wheel, PM us, we can have it done for you. The only tricky part about this wheel is the 2-color leather where they meet. It can be done and we can definitely build one for you, just take a bit more care in the way the stitching is done since most of this is hand sewn.

We've done quite a few wheels with combination leather and carbon fiber. Take a look at the quality and shape of this wheel we recently completed and finished polishing for our R8 shop car. We are doing two NSX's as well (same specs, same shape):

R8:

NSX sneak peek :)

PM us if you have any custom wheel requirements or check out our vendor thread

I like the idea of the flat topped wheel but when I considered it it appeared it would really block the gages. IMO, your car need to be designed for that type wheel so gages are not blocked. But to each their own...

Back