• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My shaft is all bitten up...

Lud is going to get me about that title....

This is what happens when someone introduces too much torque to the NSX's transmission.. Mine just happened to send metal pieces into the case, causing a cracked case..
The inside of the case was pretty beaten up...

Notice the Bolts are rounded.Looks as if Jaws took bites..

The Input shaft took a beating as well...

It did not stop there... The speedo gear to some punishment as well... Let me know if you have an extra one laying around..

Luckily nothing else was severly damaged... However, without preparation, I found myself without a good speed sensor gear, So therefore, I don't know how fast I am going by the speedo... Also means I have to go back inside the trans again....

Watch those boost levels....

Len, was that your old tranny? You are up and going still right? This just didn't happen again did it??

NetViper said:
Len, was that your old tranny? You are up and going still right? This just didn't happen again did it??

NV, yes this is the old transmission... I am still up and going.
I am going to build a nicer box...

with harder teeth? :biggrin:

len,

how much torque were your running?

Kevin

i'll take a guess =O
how about 550 ft-lbs of torque at 6500 rpm thats my guestimate =O

with harder teeth? :biggrin:

Woody, definitely going to get some better teeth....
Using false teeth right now..

Cant find 'em? Grind 'em!
Just kidding.. :redface:

MCM, I know what you mean... It definitely went beyond grinding... More of a HUGE PUSH..:smile:

how much torque were your running?

WOW that looks pretty beat up. Did you once tell me your car puts out 600hp?

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 536616" vAlign=top><TD class=alt2>i'll take a guess =O
how about 550 ft-lbs of torque at 6500 rpm thats my guestimate =O</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2>Today 15:27</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Kevin, Khappi, Steve
I have never turned the boost past 1 bar. The one dyno session was quite inconclusive, due to the RPM signal not being captured.. So the numbers read something like this.
474trq and 375HP running between 8 and 10lbs... We ran out of time, so the car will have to be Dynoed again, this time I plan on using a Mustang Dyno...

I think those numbers are most likely singular in one way or another..Either 474Trq or 375HP the other being a false number..I will say those numbers were without major boost or timing...

There is no doubt in my mind that the 4:55 is just not the R&P for this kind of power, as others told me long before I got my car back... I think when being tested under a load the teeth of the gear became damaged to the point of splintering, that would have explained the noise I was hearing upon picking up my car...

After continued stress they finally broke off and as Elite has said here.."Shrapnel between them and the case I presume..." The shranel hit against the case as well as jammed between the case gauling all in the path...

The end result was what you see here, all of the other components (not the case) were still in great shape..
The trans was put back together without the speedsensor gear, due mainly to the fact that mine was damaged and I did not want to introduce it to the other new internals supplied to me by AK.....

This looks all too familiar… A few more R&Ps and we will have our sculpture complete. We had the same problem getting a tach signal off a dynojet. The Torque reading was way off. During the Supra meet we put down 580rwhp with 660ftlbs with the FX500. We knew this was an erroneous reading, however it was funny to see everyone scratching their head.

Factor X Motorsports said:
This looks all too familiar… A few more R&Ps and we will have our sculpture complete. We had the same problem getting a tach signal off a dynojet. The Torque reading was way off. During the Supra meet we put down 580rwhp with 660ftlbs with the FX500. We knew this was an erroneous reading, however it was funny to see everyone scratching their head.

What was the solution if any for the DynoJet, I have had no issues with my OBD1 car and the service loop, but Len's would not work at all I just thought it was the OBDii issue or maybe the Tec3. DynoJet says you have to use optical sensor to get an acurate reading, I think due to wasted spark they said, but that does not make since because my AEM 91 reads the service loop just fine.

Dave

Back