• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My supercar on a budget.

Ok, I'm here. I've been lurking since I bought my NSX this past summer, and now it's time to share my project.

WAIT - First you want to know who I am, right?
I'm Mike. A single 33 year old dude who likes pinball machines, mopeds, Hondas (and used to track them quite a bit) and beer. Oh, and my dog. I am an automotive scrapper, meaning I have a dealer's license to buy, part, and scrap cars. Doesn't sound glam, but after many years of middle management, I said "f it" and found something better to do. Turns out it's fun, you can hook all your friends up with parts, and drive fun cars that you wouldn't normally own (I currently have a Dodge Daytona CS in minty condition for a daily that turns more heads than my s2000 did). All in all, I like wrenching, buddies, babes, and dorky hobbies. There! Now for the rest of the story from early june of 11.

I get a call the other day from a fellow scrapper - he says I need to call a number and that some old guy has an Acura he was looking to sell. An NSX. I call the number and get no details beyond the motor is out and "you need to come out and make an offer". I Grab the dog and head out with a fist full of hundos. Mind you, I don't actually know what a 91 NSX is worth. I roll up to a VERY unsuspecting house with a large garage/pole barn. I'm excited, but honestly, wasn't expecting it.

We go out to the barn and there it is. It was dark, the car was dusty from sitting for a year, and it was on jack stands. Turns out it also has a salvage title from a light front end hit. The guy shows me the original hood in the back of his garage and it was nothing serious. I honestly couldn't even tell if it was a manual or auto it was so dark. I jammed the floor for a clutch pedal (disconnected and depressed lol) and look at the gear shift with squinty eyes. Finally the guy says "I think it was a manual" and I move the shifter side to side - MINT!!!

Offer was made. Counter offer was made and (after me running back to the bank)met. Turns out not knowing what something is worth works out sometimes, because it was a deal.

Motor was out and was overheated from 90 year old guy circumstances. Picked the motor up the next day and it looks fairly legit and was spec'd out already by dudes mechanic whos shop it was at. Has a salvage title from a light front end hit in 95, but dude spent 6k fixing front end. Already had it checked on a rack (which I plan on doing again). A slew of parts with honda stickers on them were included. It's been in storage since 95. I think the guy had made it about 50 miles since it was fixed.

Next post will have current day progress as of January 2012. Also, I have less mullett now and less gut in case you care.

242712_1901330530392_1155545279_31854873_2963543_o.jpg

madilgooglecom.jpg

mailgooglecom.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to Prime mullett Mike:smile:
This is a great new year's resolution to bring it back to life. Keep post you progress!
so you know, once the car is complete, it will attract a lot of attention...NOT from the opposite sex.:)

Last edited:
Now is a great time to build out that engine... 3.5L with some go fast mods

Congrats on the ride and good luck on your restoration

a different set of wheels would bring it up to date

LOL... I think you need to change your username. You didn't have to tell us you're single. Just telling us you're doing this project would tell us you're either single, or will be single real soon. :D

Welcome Mike, I'm in for what's sure to be a fun story!

It's good to have another MI owner too, do drop by the MIDWEST US Region "spotting" thread and say "hi" there too :cool:

Oh, and if you really want to go SUPERcar, LoveFab is a short trek up the road towards Traverse City........

Brian

Last edited:
Welcome to the board! Sounds like an interesting project!

You didn't have to tell us you're single. Just telling us you're doing this project would tell us you're either single, or will be single real soon.

LOL - but is he happier that way???

Did you copy and paste the first part of this post from your eHarmony profile?

Lol jk, glad to see you are bringing her back to life man. Keep us posted for sure :)

This is why I never formally introduced myself. Because you all are a bunch of critics. LOL....

Sorry he didn't put on a fresh shirt for you Batman, he probably mistakenly thought in a straight way that you'd be looking at his car not staring at his chest. :biggrin:

Greeting Mike,
Glad to see someone else is about to take on a massive project with an NSX. Good for you and I hope it all works out for you! Keep us up to date on all your improvements.

Shawn, where are you - I'd have thought you'd have been one of the first to post to this?

Mike, love the hair dude.

Curious as to what you paid :wink:

Did you copy and paste the first part of this post from your eHarmony profile?

Lol jk, glad to see you are bringing her back to life man. Keep us posted for sure :)

NP, I figured I'd let everyone know, cause I'll probably be around for a while. I've been fairly hush hush about the price, but I let everyone on ClubSI (99-00 civic si forum) know it was less than 7k. As far as the bitch tit sweat goes, it was like 95 that day. Don't care!

More info - the car has about 52k on it and is cleaning up nicely in my heated garage this winter. The motor is out and I have some cash to send it out for machining - just haven't gotten around to it. Oh, and I dropped a piston when disassembling it like a rook. Got startled when taking it out and it hit the floor, breaking the skirt - crap. Anyone have one for sale? Otherwise forged SOS pistons it is... I'm half tempted to send it to them for building - I'd really like to find a longblock and whip it in while I build a nasty one over the next year though...

NP, I figured I'd let everyone know, cause I'll probably be around for a while. I've been fairly hush hush about the price, but I let everyone on ClubSI (99-00 civic si forum) know it was less than 7k. As far as the bitch tit sweat goes, it was like 95 that day. Don't care!

More info - the car has about 52k on it and is cleaning up nicely in my heated garage this winter. The motor is out and I have some cash to send it out for machining - just haven't gotten around to it. Oh, and I dropped a piston when disassembling it like a rook. Got startled when taking it out and it hit the floor, breaking the skirt - crap. Anyone have one for sale? Otherwise forged SOS pistons it is... I'm half tempted to send it to them for building - I'd really like to find a longblock and whip it in while I build a nasty one over the next year though...

PM STMPO, he's got a bunch of used NSX parts he'll make you a deal on.

Mike,

Which side, did the side skirt break. I may have another sitting, you can have it for the shipping price and a brand new 2dollar bill.

g

Mike I think your story is great, and who gives a shit what it cost? the cheaper the better......everyone out there can't afford a 50-60k NSX, and I think its awesome some people get these cars for a steal......Thanks for sharing and keep on posting....:smile:

Back