• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My weekend in a Vantage V8

For the longest time I have lusted after the modern Aston Martin cars, I believe the current Vantage is one of the best balanced and most beautiful cars ever made. My desire for this car has lead me to track virtually every Vantage for sale or sold at auction for the past two years or so. This obsession for me started a couple years back when I decided to sell my 1991 Sebring Silver NSX, this was the second NSX I had owned and while I still loved the car I wanted something newer and maybe different. The search for a 2002+ NSX was started at the same time and I was not having any luck finding the right car so I started to look at other brands to see what might catch my attention and fall into a similar price range. I soon found the Aston Martin Vantage and started doing a little research. Before to long I found a 2006 Vantage that was within budget, was the right color and was virtually new with only 2500 miles. The car was in Chicago and within driving distance, so I planned a weekend trip to check it out. A funny thing happened on my way to Chicago, before leaving the office to start my long weekend I decided to go through the Prime Market Place one more time, I was completely amazed to find a 2004 Red/Black NSX with less than 15k miles on it just listed less than 2 hours before I logged on. Even more amazing it was in Chicago. I made a phone call to the listing dealer and basically bought the NSX sight unseen with the option to back out upon my inspection. Away to Chicago and straight to the dealer the next morning, I checked the car out, closed the deal, cut the trip short and drove it home. I was so excited to find the NSX I was hunting for for over 10 months I completely forgot about the Vantage I was to look at the following day.

Fast forward till today and I have to say I really love my NSX, it was everything I wanted when making the move from an older NSX to a newer NSX, but there has always been this nagging little voice in the back of my head wondering what would have happened if my NSX had not been posted or I had not logged on to Prime that day. I would have most likely went to Chicago and brought home the 2006 Vantage V8 Coupe. Did I make the right decision or should I have at least looked at the Vantage that weekend then made my mind up. It really does not matter now but those lingering feelings have lead me to a unique opportunity that I was not going to pass up. I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with a Vantage V8 and really get to know the car so I could finally put these nagging feelings to rest or maybe restart my search for my very own Aston Martin Vantage V8 Coupe.

The Vantage V8 Coupe I had to play with was a 2010 Stratus White N420 SportShift. It was optioned with everything you can put on the car, and as a result sticker-ed just north of $156,000.00. I am a very lucky guy that got to spend a long weekend with the car and thought it would be good to share my experience with you guys.

First off the Vantage and the NSX are really not that far off from each other in concept , performance numbers for a stock NSX and a stock Vantage are not that far apart, they are both usable as a weekend cruiser or if need be could even be used as a daily driver. Most would consider the Aston more of a luxury GT and the NSX more of a true sports car. With most of the cars in the Aston Brand luxury GT is about the only category you can put their cars in, but the little Vantage is a different car than its bigger brothers. Much smaller, lighter, more nimble, reasonable power levels and lots of grip in the corners. It is an Aston after all so the nod to luxury is there in the interior. Fit and finish is nothing short of amazing, you can not help but be impressed by all the leather work that is in the Vantage. There are plenty of modern day gizmos in the car to make you realize that the NSX is a really old design that needed more than a facelift in 2002 to keep up with the Jones's, but having said that the Vantage itself feels dated compared to a modern Audi or Mercedes interior, but maybe that is by design. There is something to be said for simple. I had no problem sitting down in the car and within seconds had everything adjusted to fit me and even paired the bluetooth hands free all without having to bust out the owners manual and read for 10 minutes or so to get everything sorted. That is something I can not say for my parents new Honda Accord, or a BMW 550i that I went on a test drive in over the same weekend. The view from inside the Vantage is so different from the NSX. A NSX has such a great view that you can sometimes forget that there is a part of the car that is in front of you other than the dash and steering wheel, this is something you will never forget in the Aston. You will never see the front of the car from the drivers seat but you sure know it is there. While the interior space itself is actually very large you feel like you are set deep inside the car with no way to see or feel the exterior dimensions of the car. This is so far from the feel of the NSX I really had a hard time adjusting to the Aston when it came to parking or even backing up. Something I am sure I would eventually get use to with more time. The seats in the Vantage were very good, adjustable for just about everything and with me being 6 foot tall I had at least 4 inches of head space left for a helmet in case someone wanted to track the car.

So how does the Vantage drive, well first off the car I drove was a Sportshift, Aston's version of an automated manual. They use a single clutch system so it is not near as smooth as any of the dual clutch systems, it is not bad but definitely could never be described as smooth and refined. Unless you fear the clutch pedal get the manual gear box and take control of the clutch. I know the Sportshift is a deal breaker for me in the Aston, for that matter in almost any car I just prefer a manual in a sports car and an automatic in everything else. Steering is a little hard to describe low speeds were good to very good but at higher speeds the steering sort of went numb. Brakes are supplied by Brembo I believe, and are every bit as good as the NSX maybe better but they squeal a lot, they squeal when they are hot, they squeal when they are cold, they just squeal about every time you touch them. Maybe something the dealer can sort out. The power from the 4.7 liter V8 has not got a lot of torque but revs freely and has no problem hauling the Vantage around, the car is not fast but it is not slow either the power delivery is smooth and constant but you never get the feeling you need to hang on with both hands. The sound of the V8 and its exhaust note is nothing short of intoxicating, the sound comes on as the engine RPMs hit 3k and the exhaust baffles open to bypass the mufflers, everything you read on the internet or hear in sound clips about Aston Martins is true, it is just so unique and so much fun to hear I found myself holding gears longer just to hear the exhaust open and hear that sound. The car came with the Sports Pack so the ride was firm and the car sat pretty low, not low enough that it every rubbed and not as low as my NSX on Bilstien's. I can tell you the car has got plenty of grip my favorite little test track run around town gave me very similar corner speeds as my NSX and the Vantage even felt a little more planted but that could have been either tires or maybe having a seating position more to the rear of the car.

I had a great time in the car, I am use to getting looks and thumbs up and even the occasional Civic driver that wants to run um from stop light to stop light while in my NSX, but in the Aston you do sort of feel almost regal. I got thumbs up from Harley guys, from kids, from old guys, from young guys, hell when I stopped to put some fuel in the car and the gas station attendant came out of the store to check it out while others got out there cell phones and started to snap pictures. It was fun and that is what I liked about the car, you have something unique, something mysterious, something that makes you and other people happy to see.

I wish Honda did more with the 2002 facelift, something that made our interior more than it is, updated the electronics and entertainment part of the car, all that can be done in the aftermarket but it is never the same as a well executed OEM setup. If I had to sell my NSX I still feel the Vantage is at the top of the list as my next car but not as a replacement for the NSX. It will happen when I want something different from a sports car than what I want now. If I had to choose from a stock NSX or a stock Vantage and the money part of the equation was not factor I would take the Vantage, but since I have a 2004 NSX with Twin Turbos and the money most definitely is a factor I will be keeping my NSX for a while to come. Maybe someday when the prices come down and I am ready for a change I will revisit the Vantage. Oh for those looking at the Vantage, the 2009 and newer cars are the ones to have , the early years 2006-2008 did not have the mechanical and entertainment refinements that the 2009+ model years offer, but that pushes you into another price level, one higher than I can go for a car, any car.

Here are a few pics of the car.

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 335
Awesome write up and really great points. Any Aston is a special car without a doubt. Damn but that 2010 is gorgeous and the interior is just incomprehensibly uber - man those hides are crazy.

That said, I realize after the NSX and the 911, I really cant drive a front engine sports car anymore. For small daily driver sedans, or my truck, its fine... But in a sports car that weird feeling of "how big IS this thing???" is just something I cant get fully comfortable with.

Wow great write up and great experience, almost made me feel like I was driving the vantage. You mentioned in your post the vantage is the little brother basically. Smaller more sleek than the rest of the astons. In the pictures the car looks huge compared to the nsx. Trust me you made the right decision, but being 6' its probably a whole lot more comfortable than the nsx, anyways great write up and thanks for letting us know the experience.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always thought that recent Astons are rolling automotive art .. much more beautiful than the Jags that they are usually compared to. I have to admit to actually checking prices on eBay. So, I really enjoyed your write-up .. tks for posting. But, in reality, as gorgeous as it is, I just can't see the Aston holding up like my NSX has which I've owned for 10 years and now has 180k+ miles; tracked multiple times; daily driven it in Canadian winters to temperatures down to -40F .. with repair times and costs being what I consider to be reasonable. I'm guessing that the Aston ownership experience wouldn't be the same positive story.

As far as size goes the two cars are almost the exact same length, with the Aston being slightly wider and slightly taller, but they are very much in the same size catagory in almost every way. The Vantage being a hatch back has more room in the trunk and cabin area. The NSX has a much better drivers possition as far as driver awareness and feel for the four courners of the car. There was many times that I had to get out and check my parking job only to find out that I did not get the Vantage were I wanted it. The park asist on the Vantage is a little crazy as well, it uses different tones of beeps to tell you how close you are to items front and rear but it was hard to get used to and would require a lot of time before I would rely on it to prevent and issue.

I really enjoyed the Vantage, I would have reservations on repairs, not because they have proven to be unreliable, but because I can not see being able to work on one yourself. Access to parts will always be an issue, and the price for those parts is just this side of insane.

I guess the real question is value in my mind, would I pay $60,000 for a Vantage, you bet ya, would I pay $70,000? I am afraid not, there just is not enough of a pull on my heart to make me move past the 60k range for this car, and that means I will never own a new one, I will never have the experience of sitting down with my custom tailor and picking everything about the inside of my car, and maybe for the few that can afford a car like this that is enough of a reward that it makes since for them to go ahead and pull the trigger on a new Vantage.

Dave

I'm very much into the Vantage as well, but my research never went this far :). Do you guys know how the maintnance aspect looks like? Where do you take it for service, how much does an oil change cost and what major services like our tb/wp are there to complete?

great car indeed, i hope reliability is decent. i agree that it (along with the R8) is one of the few cars that deserve to be considered.

I plan to add one to my stable one day after reading your write-up

Excelleny write up. I have always liked the body style of the Vantage and would definitely agree with what others are saying; great car, but maintenance and repairs will be costly.

Do you guys know how the maintnance aspect looks like? Where do you take it for service, how much does an oil change cost and what major services like our tb/wp are there to complete?

From what I have been able to find out, they are for the most part reliable cars, they have their issues like most cars. The clutches are known for short life, with very few after market replacement options but there are a few (OEM Clutch replacement in the $7-$8k ). The early cars have issues with front main seals leaking oil after they sit for a long time. The early cars would also have issues with running too rich and ruining O2 sensors, most have had the updated software updates done as the dealers do other service issues. They are dry sump setups on the oil system so oil changes will not be hard but most likely will not be done at Jiffy Lube, the botoms of the cars are completely flat with large service panels that can be removed to access the areas needing maintenance. Under the panels they are very simple designs not alot of crazy electro-mechanical suspension or brakes systems, other than the ECU, ABS system or the automated manual servicing the car should be no different than any other car. I have done some research and most of the parts on the Astons are from other manufacturers parts bin. Nav system from Volvo, engine block was from Jaguar from the AJ-V8 family, trans and control for the automated trans from ProDrive, brakes from Bembo, chasis is a bonded aluminum structure made along side the Lotus cars in the early days but may be done in-house now. Warranty is three years unlimited mileage, but most of these cars get less than 4k miles put on them a year so I am sure Aston may get burned every once in a while by a high milage car but for the most part they will not have to service many cars over 30k miles in the normal warranty period, you can buy an additional year of coverage from Aston but the add on warranty is several thousand dollars to purchase.

I have not heard of many issues and you can get alot more info over at "6speed online" they have an Aston forum you can read up on any problems there. Paramont Performance, ProDrive, Quicksilver, and The Vantage Collection are a few of the aftermaket parts providers that support the Aston Martin cars. There are not to many venders out there and the prices for the parts are very high.

Dave

Thank you very much for this info, it helped a lot. Everything sounds reasonable except for the $7-8k OEM Clutch replacement :).

That is a great write up!

I personally feel the NSX is much more fun car to own and drive. When I go out in the garage I never have a problem choosing the X over the Aston. So much so, I have given the Aston to my wife.

Now that being said, mine is an 08 not an 09 or newer and I agree the refinements made in the newer models are worth the money. Mine is also an auto (which shifts horribly) and were I to do it again, I would only go manual. I have driven the newer ones and the auto tranny is still worthless..

The Problem with the Aston V-8 vantage is there is always a better one. You pull up to a v-12 vantage you feel slighted, you pull up to a db9 you feel demoralized, you pull up to a DBS, you do the ricer fly by followed by a quick pull off the road :redface:

I've owned 2 Vantages, the first I bought a new 2006 and the second was a 2007 Convertible. I have never longed for a larger Aston since they just seemed to big. They are really more luxury sports cars than street fighters like the NSX.

But, on another note a company called ESX Motorsports sells a superharger kit for the Vantage that purports to get 600hp. I initially looked into it, but decided it would change to much of the original feel of the car.

John

I've owned 2 Vantages, the first I bought a new 2006 and the second was a 2007 Convertible. I have never longed for a larger Aston since they just seemed to big. They are really more luxury sports cars than street fighters like the NSX.

But, on another note a company called ESX Motorsports sells a superharger kit for the Vantage that purports to get 600hp. I initially looked into it, but decided it would change to much of the original feel of the car.

John

Arent you the gent with the GT40?

I like the Vantage, but I've always had my heart set on the DBS. I think it was that damn James Bond :frown:

Not to bash the car but, where I live, V8 Vantage, Maserati GranTurismo are as common as M3. Nobody, even gas cashier would bother to come out. Sad but that's reality. R8 are common too, you'll see them with New Driver sign on the back usually driven by mainlander Chinese highschool kids. Theres 3 white R8 V10 in my apartment alone. All New drivers as far as I know. :frown:

You will get more looks in the NSX here since rarely anybody buys them (mostly only hardcore fan of the car) Same for Corvettes too.

Seems like everyone jumps to the GT-R if under 100k or to R8 and Porsches over that.

Last edited:
Not to bash the car but, where I live, V8 Vantage, Maserati GranTurismo are as common as M3. Nobody, even gas cashier would bother to come out. Sad but that's reality. R8 are common too, you'll see them with New Driver sign on the back usually driven by mainlander Chinese highschool kids. Theres 3 white R8 V10 in my apartment alone. All New drivers as far as I know. :frown:

You will get more looks in the NSX here since rarely anybody buys them (mostly only hardcore fan of the car) Same for Corvettes too.

Seems like everyone jumps to the GT-R if under 100k or to R8 and Porsches over that.

I'm guessing you live in Richmond, BC haha? All those kids probably go to my school because I see those cars everywhere on campus (UBC).

Last edited:

None of these cars sell in anything approaching high volume (were talking at most a few thousand on the road) so I suspect it seems higher than it is.

That said, it hardly matters. A $200k car is a $200k car. In a town where everyone is a billionaire and a Ferrari is a Civic, that doesnt in any way diminish those cars or make a cheap car somehow magically "more exclusive". Any of these billionaire kids in this weird enclave of the richest people in the world could buy 10 NSXs presumably. If they look at it, it might be to wonder why anyone would drive it (hate to say it) :eek:

Not to mention that "getting looks" has got to be one of the absolute worst criteria for choosing a car, IMO.

Last edited:
Dave, nice write-up. If I bought the Aston I'd have to go back to work, and there's not a car on the planet worth that to me. When the NSX stops being fun I might pick up an older Aston. Most beautiful car on the road -IMO.

Maybe see ya Saturday???

There are more Aston Martins where I live than there are NSX. It was cool at first seeing the AM but now I've seen 4 different ones in 2 summers. Saw my first R8 this week and it was nice. Gave the driver a thumbs up as he passed me walking the other way on the sidewalk. He returned it. Five seconds later a black AM drove by and it wasn't as cool as the R8. I think I was dazzled by the DRLs on the R8 and I only saw the back half of the AM because of heavy traffic. The R8 was the first car in traffic so I got a good look at it.

The Aston Martin Vantage V8 is definitely on my short list of cars to own. My son's company (www.rsctuning.com) has developed probably the best range of aftermarket tuning parts for Astons and is very familiar with them. A while ago I had the good fortune to drive their project car which had ECU upgrade, performance exhaust, suspension and wheel upgrades, plus carbon fibre accents and body kit. At about 440hp it was a blast to drive. A few weeks ago I drove a friend's Vantage V12 and that is a beast, with so much torque it will take off like a scalded cat in any gear. However, I liked the lighter, more nimble feel of the V8 which felt better balanced.

My son tells me that the Vantage is pretty reliable and not out of line in terms of servicing and maintenance costs. Re clutches, his company has a replacement clutch that costs less than the OEM kit and lasts much longer.

I would not hesitate to get into a Vantage and drive it across the continent. It would be a quick, comfortable and very rewarding drive.

Re sport/auto transmissions - my daily driver is a VW GTi with DSG transmission and that is an outstanding setup. I am not a fan of auto boxes but this one is terrific.

John in Vancouver BC

I like the Vantage, but I've always had my heart set on the DBS. I think it was that damn James Bond :frown:

I'm in the same boat. I love the entire line, but I just couldn't live with myself if I bought a vantage or even a db9 and then pulled up next to a DBS. Even though the V12 vantage is a beast, I'd still want a DBS. It's not like it's some dedicated track car.

With that said, the vantage is still a great car. And for anyone looking for a more luxury sports car, it's a proper choice.

Last edited:
Arent you the gent with the GT40?

Yep, that is a Ford GT.
John

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 122
My local Aston Martin dealer has been trying to get me into a Vantage for over a year. He is literally driven the car over to my house to let me drive it for the weekend.

Personal I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way Aston Martins look but to be honest ever since Ian Callum (ex-designer for Aston) left and moved to Jaguar, the similiar designs have now turned me off. I do not like looking over seeing a Jaguar that has the same lines as a Vantage.

Gorgeous car none the less. I am still thinking about adding one to my garage.

Back