• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mysterious stall and beeping

I was driving along today in 100 degree heat with my airconditioning on when my car suddenly lost power and stalled. I pulled over and started the car. It started and stalled again in a couple of seconds. All gages were showing proper readings including the temperature. I then turned the airconditioning off started the car again and drove home about 3 miles without incident. Did anyone have a similar experience or know what the problem is?:confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the response
Can you be a little more detailed as to why you made your conclusion
Also, does anyone have any other sugestions

Intermittant stall problems are indicative of malfunctioning main relays. The main relay controls your fuel pump and are a known defect on this car. Since your guages read fine, I eliminated temp and oil problems and suspect fuel delivery. There are a host of electronics that can cause stall problems, but best to eliminate known probable causes first. A search on "main relay" in the DIY forum will show you how to further diagnose, repair or replace the main relay (if you have not visited your main relay you almost certainly will at some time).
Happy Motoring!

Last edited:
What do you mean by "beeping?" Does it act like you turned the key off and back on? The ignition switch is the other big cause of things like this. You can search for a bunch of info on replacing or cleaning it as well.

The main relay failures must be a Honda thing... My wife had two Accords -- an '87 and an '89 -- I replaced the main relays on both, the '89 at 150K the '87 at 90K.

NSX still good (so far).

I had the same issue my aftermarket alarm (ALPINE) shorted mine out and the ignition switch to. was 800 bucks at the dealer but I could have done it myself, parts were 130 bucks, main relay and ign switch. do it your self save the 800 bucks

this was about a year ago so the prices should still be in that range

Well, I bought and installed the main relay. Unfortunately, the problem persists. The car turns over starts and dies.
I ordered the ignition switch and should have it monday or tuesday.
I already took off the knee bolster under the steering column, it was not fun but its done.
I looked underneath and am having somewhat of a problem actually figuring out how to take out the ignition switch. I did a search but the comments I found instruct to undo two screws in the back and thats about it.
HELP

So, I replaced the ignition switch, which turned out to be easier then I thought. All problems seemed to have disappeared, at least so far.
Again, I want to thank those who have responded, I could not have done it w
without your help

THANKS

Back